Groups

spoiler for USA and slovenia, whats best for england?

in post below

17 Comments

A draw in this match would mean that a win tonight would put us in a very strong position!

SuperEd

a draw would be good!

I would rather see Slovenia win and top the group with us second sending the Yanks out. I wouldnt say a draw is that great.

If this is a draw and we win tonight then table will be

Slovinia - 4 points
    England - 4 points
    Usa - 2 points
    Algeria - 0 pionts

Meaning we will likely go though. But if we don't win tonight then we won't be doing very well.

Draw is better for England for sure. Really wanted the yanks to win though. Ref is stupid.

a win for slovenia means we need 4 more points, but a draw means we need 5 to definitely qualify

Banned

Draw, then Algeria to win

If teams are level on points does it go on GD or how you did against the team your level with... and how does the separation of teams on level points work out after?

Banned

If two teams are tied on points, then the winner of their head-to-head … If two teams are tied on points, then the winner of their head-to-head match in the group will decide the winner. If that still fails, then the winner will be decided on goal difference and then goals scored. If two teams cannot be separated in any way, then they will play off.

Banned

Which means tonights result might be irrelevant if Slovenia and the USA both win their final game. England must win by a significant margin later to give them a little breathing space, otherwise USA know the target score to aim for in the final game, whilst Slovenia would settle for a 1-0 win.

Tie-breaking criteriaFor the World Cup tournament, FIFA uses the … Tie-breaking criteriaFor the World Cup tournament, FIFA uses the following criteria to rank teams in the Group Stage. 1. greatest number of points in all group matches; 2. goal difference in all group matches; 3. greatest number of goals scored in all group matches; 4. greatest number of points in matches between tied teams; 5. goal difference in matches between tied teams; 6. greatest number of goals scored in matches between tied teams; 7. drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

fifa.com/mm/…pdf

mr.potato_head;8867503

I would rather see Slovenia win and top the group with us second sending … I would rather see Slovenia win and top the group with us second sending the Yanks out. I wouldnt say a draw is that great.

this would have been better, now the yanks will beat algeria giving em 5 points, which means we have to beat algeria tonight by more goals than the yanks do, then still draw with slovenia at least!

if the yanks lost, we'd only need to beat algeria by more goals than the yanks, and the match against slovenia wouldnt matter!

Banned

A win for Slovenia and a win for England would of been better them if we bat the slos we would finish top.

Banned

peodude;8867637

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/fifa_wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf

Cheers peodude, I picked up an incorrect reference. You can't believe everything you see on the web. Thanks for the official line and source. :thumbsup:

peodude;8867637

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/fifa_wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf

This is OK if its just between 1st and 2nd but a bit of a bummer or 2nd & 3rd.

Means you can get eliminated just because your name wasn't pulled out of a hat.

Banned

definately would have prefered a win for Slovakia. then a win against Algeria, would almost certainly mean we'd be through. As it stands, We could win tonight, but lose to Slovakia (because they wont be sure of qualification) and be out.

Banned

put victoria beckam in goal, and have her singing, no-one will go near that end of the pitch
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047190
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767476
      3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691425
      4. word association Game74044579

See more discussions