Groups

Sponsorship Ideas

HI all,
    I am taking part in a London to Paris bike ride for the Big Issue Foundation. You need to raise a set amount of money through sponsorship, and was wondering if any one on here had some good sponsorship ideas. Ones I have been thinking of are:

- raffling a signed Arsenal shirt
    - doing a article in the work magazine asking for sponsorship
    - having a party night in the pub, and sell tickets

Can you think of any other good ideas?

25 Comments

*subscribes*

speak to the local businesses , shops, offices places like that, or set up a facebook page where people can follow your training ad make donations, speak to your local footie team see if they can donate things for a charity auction do the same with the shops
    Edited by: "vinylandtrinkets" 13th Jan 2011

Original Poster

Thanks for your advice, I will get into letter writing mode this weekend and send lots of letters and emails out to businesses. I think I will ask for donations and for gifts that could be raffled/auctioned.

Thanks again

There was a thread asking this the other day, might be worth searching for it as some idea in there.

sickly sweet

There was a thread asking this the other day, might be worth searching … There was a thread asking this the other day, might be worth searching for it as some idea in there.

It was mine, but it was removed for some reason

Mod & Ed

If you are going to hold an auction, try and get your local radio station on side, my sister did one last year, and the local station heavily promoted it, one of the presenters actually did the auction, she found local businesses were more generous with their donations rather than the nationals.

Original Poster

Thanks for the radio advice, living in London, I'm not sure whether this will work, but I will certainly be in contact with the local paper. I'm going to go to as many local businesses as I can this weekend and hopefully I'll get some donations. Thanks for the advice guys.

Emhaslam - how's your sponsorship going?

allsa001

Thanks for the radio advice, living in London, I'm not sure whether this … Thanks for the radio advice, living in London, I'm not sure whether this will work, but I will certainly be in contact with the local paper. I'm going to go to as many local businesses as I can this weekend and hopefully I'll get some donations. Thanks for the advice guys.Emhaslam - how's your sponsorship going?

not great. I've got to raise £2500 (climbing kilimanjaro for charity)... got £700 off parents. £300 off friends/family so far. probably going to have to put about £1000 of own cash. not great as a student, but should be a once in a life time trip.

emhaslam

not great. I've got to raise £2500 (climbing kilimanjaro for charity)... … not great. I've got to raise £2500 (climbing kilimanjaro for charity)... got £700 off parents. £300 off friends/family so far. probably going to have to put about £1000 of own cash. not great as a student, but should be a once in a life time trip.

Have you set up a justgiving page?
    Advertise on Facebook & Twitter and get people to spread the word.

I'll certainly spread the word on Twitter for you, then hopefully the celebs will retweet it sending it to more people!

Original Poster

HI birdyboyuk,

I have had a twitter account, but never really ever used it. But think this is a great idea. If I can get a celeb to retween that would be awesome. Can you give me your twitter name and I'll post my url to you. Or mine is allsa001. Many many thanks for this.

I'll get adding people to my twitter tonight and send some messages out

birdyboyuk

Have you set up a justgiving page?Advertise on Facebook & Twitter and get … Have you set up a justgiving page?Advertise on Facebook & Twitter and get people to spread the word.I'll certainly spread the word on Twitter for you, then hopefully the celebs will retweet it sending it to more people!

awesome, cheers. whats your twitter address - i'll tweet you...

I was going to do this, amount is around 1K?

I was considering this ride in the summer after exams. Would probably be doing it solo though, not in aid of a charity. Route here if anyone is interested.

My twitter is the same ID as here.
    I RT'd yours allsa001

allsa001

Thanks for your advice, I will get into letter writing mode this weekend … Thanks for your advice, I will get into letter writing mode this weekend and send lots of letters and emails out to businesses. I think I will ask for donations and for gifts that could be raffled/auctioned.Thanks again

I have a letter somewhere from couple years ago, when I organised two Coast to Coast events (140 miles each) and needed local businesses to help out. If I can find it, I'll pop it over if you PM me an email. This would be mental to do. Gonna me some mileage in that like. Interested, I must say, so subscribed.

Whats the mileage on this one? How many days you looking at?

Allsa - where do you work? what is the mag called?

Edited by: "Disco" 16th Jan 2011

bump for those that missed it

Original Poster

That's great birdy boy, thanks alot.
    I sent quite alot of letters this weekend but will send more this weekend.

Disco, I work for Children's Services for Islington Council, and they are going to put it in the magazine for the whole council, so will hopefully get some people to sponsor me that way.

allsa001

That's great birdy boy, thanks alot.I sent quite alot of letters this … That's great birdy boy, thanks alot.I sent quite alot of letters this weekend but will send more this weekend.Disco, I work for Children's Services for Islington Council, and they are going to put it in the magazine for the whole council, so will hopefully get some people to sponsor me that way.

SNAP! ... except I'm in Sunderland (but not for long when they cut some jobs!)

damn it i wana raise money too,i really really need toyota yaris

Original Poster

Disco, it seems like we are living parallel lives lol. Hope your job is safe come March. I think mine should be ok for a little longer. I work within Youth Justice and Children's Social Care, but the cuts are just huge. Out of interest, you didn't happen to dig out a copy of the letter you used to send to businesses did you?

addjon - Forget the Yaris, get a bike, much better for you lol

allsa - if I have any they will be on my Mums (my old) PC so ill be there tomorrow night so will dig them out for you

Allsa - I need an email address plz?

Original Poster

Thanks Disco, just PM my email across to you.

Did you find any of the companies you wrote to, were generous enough to offer any gifts for raffles etc?

I have just had another idea that I think will work. I am organising a Fifa 2011 tournament at work. I work with quite alot of people, so was thinking I could get a few 16 person knockout tournaments. I could use the meeting rooms at work, so would be easy for people to get too. Was thinking £10 entry per team, winner gets £80, and £80 gets donated to charity. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

I sort of asked for donations in two ways ... I got a few things here and there when asking for raffle prizes etc (for a charity evening event!) - Bottles, Vouchers, Train Tickets are a good one as well (i'll forward you a name later today!)

Last time around we did the C2C (136m Coast to Coast) from Whitehaven to Sunderland (luckly, at the time I lived at the finishing point of the journey!) so contacted local cycle shops asking for supplies (innertubes, repair kits, a spare wheel, the usual bike stuff you may need when out cycling long journeys) and got quiet a bit of stuff (again, I have an email for a lovely chap, MD or equivalent of Edinboro Cycles - although nearest shop to you is probably Sheffield or Manchester. He was lovely and send us some good stuff - Toolkit worth £45, a couple of tyres etc etc (we never used these and returned incase we needed them the following year!)

All worth a try. Whatever you get saves you buying, and then that money can do towards the charity. I'll speak to you with more ideas as/when they come to me!

PS: if i can play fifa over XBL i'll chip in my tenner, and you can give me it back when I win, but keep the other £150 :P
    Edited by: "Disco" 21st Jan 2011

Original Poster

Got the letters thanks Disco. I'm going to write to the cycle shops in London today. I thin I'll play the numbers game, and write to as many as I can, and hopefully something good will come out of it.

When did you do the coast to coast? Was is split over a weekend? Sounds good, I may have to look into that one next year,

I may have had my first gift donation today. I was speaking to a old school friend on Facebook today who fights for the Ultimate Fighting Championships, and he is going to try and get me a pair of shorts signed by himself and some other UK fighters. Hopefully I'll be able to auction them in a Mixed Martial Arts site or something. Although I would really like to keep them for myself lol.

Once again Thanks for your help Disco. I am going to set up a mail merge for bike shops now. Very much appreciated.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …1423
      2. LG Watch Style worth buying for £75?44
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764458
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846250

See more discussions