Spore PC game / SecuROM DRM questions!

I am considering buying Spore for PC but am a bit put off by the SecuROM DRM three install thing. I am pretty sure that SecuROM DRM is already on my computer as I have the latest Sims 2 expansion packs installed which I think also had SecuROM DRM.

What bugs me if the three install limit. When you buy a game you don't expect to be told what you can and can't do with it. It sort of seems like you are paying out £30 to rent the game.

Anyway, my questions are;

1. The three install limit, is it three installs per computer or three install in all?
2. Is there anyway to reset the three installs? I think I read somewhere that you had to buy a new registration code from EA?
3. I was considering buying the game from Ebay but am I just being paranoid or could people be using up all the installs and selling you a game which can no longer be installed?
4. Is the game actually worth it?!

Thanks

8 Comments

Original Poster

Anyone!

you have 3 installs on this disc so if original seller has used it then you will have 2 left

only allowed to install a game 3 times? that's not happening now is it? OutbloominRageous if that's the way security on discs are going,

Up to the owner how many times it gets installed, not like a version of windows that should be only 1 per pc, hell, if i have 5 pc's in my house and we all share the bloomin disc to play at the times we want to, i wouldnt expect to have to pay more!! Yes if we all want to play at once then more should be purchased..

If a registration code is needed then maybe these should be given out free to the owner. The games should come with a cirtificate with a special number on it that they can check then issue free codes. Anyone that buys the game without this cirtificate would be a dummy and in essence, is buying a blank disk. [COLOR="Red"]LOL, isnt that what a CD-
Key is for![/COLOR]

Cant believe this is the way it's going.. really 3 installs?

Imagine, doing the same for console games, lol, "Sorry, but you have put the disc in more than 3 times, you must pay an additional fee in order to play this game again!!"

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]LOL[/COLOR][/SIZE]

yes ea have been doing this on the pc for a while now! they limit the amount of installs! but 1st time they did it im sure they messed up and had to relese a patch that stopped the max installs

1000th POST AS WELL YESS

ibrox_hunk;2962588

yes ea have been doing this on the pc for a while now! they limit the … yes ea have been doing this on the pc for a while now! they limit the amount of installs! but 1st time they did it im sure they messed up and had to relese a patch that stopped the max installs1000th POST AS WELL YESS

well done!!

DudeyGeeza;2962098

only allowed to install a game 3 times? that's not happening now is it? … only allowed to install a game 3 times? that's not happening now is it? OutbloominRageous if that's the way security on discs are going, Up to the owner how many times it gets installed, not like a version of windows that should be only 1 per pc, hell, if i have 5 pc's in my house and we all share the bloomin disc to play at the times we want to, i wouldnt expect to have to pay more!! Yes if we all want to play at once then more should be purchased..If a registration code is needed then maybe these should be given out free to the owner. The games should come with a cirtificate with a special number on it that they can check then issue free codes. Anyone that buys the game without this cirtificate would be a dummy and in essence, is buying a blank disk. [COLOR="Red"]LOL, isnt that what a CD-Key is for![/COLOR]Cant believe this is the way it's going.. really 3 installs?Imagine, doing the same for console games, lol, "Sorry, but you have put the disc in more than 3 times, you must pay an additional fee in order to play this game again!!"[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]LOL[/COLOR][/SIZE]

3 installs, its true.

]http//ne…stm

Alfonse;2964602

3 installs, its true.]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7604405.stm

Ok, well there has to be a simple way around it, how does the game know? Do you have to log into an internet server to play it? have to have an internet connection just to run it?

If it is only these types of games that it applies to then that's not too much of a problem but games you dont have to play on line that have a single player campaign then there has to be an easy way around it.

read an article about this with so many people complaining, I think you have to call them to install after three times.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
    2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
    3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
    4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions