Expired

Sports Direct only refund credit note

Found 20th Mar 2016
I note that Sports Direct seem to have a different refund policy to major retailers by only giving refunds by credit note and not actual refunds. You would normally find this in small independent shops but not what you would expect from a major chain of retailers.

I got stung when I bought a fleece for me OH and it was not the correct size but they did not have the correct size for me to swap with so all they could offer was a credit note.

That is a surprise to me as I had always expected them to have the same refund policy as other major retailers.

Lesson learnt. Never buy anything from Sports Direct unless you are certain you won't need to return it.
Community Updates
MiscSports & Fitness
33 Comments
You can get a refund on online purchases but i agree, their in store policy stinks. bunch of numptys!
Original Poster
balsingh458

You can get a refund on online purchases but i agree, their in store … You can get a refund on online purchases but i agree, their in store policy stinks. bunch of numptys!

me OH bought some stuff online which doesn't fit and was told there is no refund either. Only a credit note.
mutley1

me OH bought some stuff online which doesn't fit and was told there is no … me OH bought some stuff online which doesn't fit and was told there is no refund either. Only a credit note.

As far as I'm aware, They can't do that with online goods, it's a breach of distance selling laws
Your right vics219.
amazon54

Your right vics219.

It's not often that happens X)
On the other hand by law if the goods are ok and not faulty they do not have to give a refund. It is just other shop's choose to do so. My advice don't shop with them.
Original Poster
amazon54

On the other hand by law if the goods are ok and not faulty they do not … On the other hand by law if the goods are ok and not faulty they do not have to give a refund. It is just other shop's choose to do so. My advice don't shop with them.

I have learnt my lesson and won't any more. I am surprised anyone buys anything from them over the internet. Me OH does silly things so probably people like that X)
amazon54

On the other hand by law if the goods are ok and not faulty they do not … On the other hand by law if the goods are ok and not faulty they do not have to give a refund. It is just other shop's choose to do so. My advice don't shop with them.

Isn't that just store bought goods? I thought goods bought online could be refunded?

*runs off to check*
As I thought, if you return the goods within 14 days, they have to refund.

Taken from the Which website...

When you buy goods online you have additional rights to return them.
This is because your decision may be based on a brief description or a photograph – so what you receive isn't always quite what you’d expected.
under the Consumer Contracts Regulations you have the right to return your order up to 14 days from the day you receive your goods.
Many online retailers extend this even further so be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully as you may have longer to return unwanted items.
The Consumer Contracts Regulations allow you to return an item if you simply change your mind.
You are responsible for returning the items within 14 calendar days of cancelling, and refunds must be paid within 14 calendar days after returning the goods, or evidence that they were returned.
Proof of postage should be sufficient evidence of returning goods.

Op I would email Sports Direct and request your refund.

If you buy online at sports direct you can get a refund , however you need to send it back yourself to the return address , if you take it to a store they only give a credit note, they are also allowed to give a credit note if you bought goods in the shop if there is nothing wrong with it, there are terms at the tills
Edited by: "deanos" 20th Mar 2016
vics219

As far as I'm aware, They can't do that with online goods, it's a breach … As far as I'm aware, They can't do that with online goods, it's a breach of distance selling laws

Oi... where've you been?
USC same owner same policy, so remember that aswell. I also got stung on shop bought assuming like other stores I would get a refund. I asked why I wasn't informed of their policy when paying and was shown a A7 size piece of card to the far left of the till and told there it is.
vics219

tru dat
miikeyblue

Oi... where've you been?

I've been having a really long game of hide and seek.

I win X)
deeky

tru dat

http://cdn.lifebuzz.com/images/60761/lifebuzz-eab5f862b404ad0fad81e7aacf61e96b-original.gif
make a fault with the item then take it back faulty goods have give a cash/card refund by law
y3nsme

make a fault with the item then take it back faulty goods have give a … make a fault with the item then take it back faulty goods have give a cash/card refund by law

oO
deleted1416210
I personally don't think they are a company that you can associate with 'doing the right thing'.
They aren't popular around these parts of the country, always in the local press about their employment practices and treatment of their staff at the warehouse.
deleted1416210
harlzter

They aren't popular around these parts of the country, always in the … They aren't popular around these parts of the country, always in the local press about their employment practices and treatment of their staff at the warehouse.

I know they are heavily based in Shirebrook and placed in a community absolutely desperate for renewed hope and employment opportunities.
In my eyes the vulnerability of that community has essentially been taken advantage of.
I firmly believe employment law is not keeping up with the changes that have occurred within the employment sectors in the last 25 years.
Society needs employment stability and the chance for people to be able support their families through the hard work they do....
This low cost sportswear has a unseen price and it's our communities ( and others around the world) that are paying for this.
Edited by: "deleted1416210" 20th Mar 2016
That's one of the main reasons I don't shop there. Very few retailers are so poor with their customer service that they happily take your money but if you're not satisfied with the item you purchased then they refuse to refund using the same payment method used. Offering to give a refund as store credit just to keep your money in their hands isn't entirely fair and the only time it would be is in the instance that the time period for returns had elapsed (or if returned without a receipt) which is standard practice with most retailers.

Another retailer I've recently found to do this is the Forbidden Planet International store (which isn't a small retailer either).
Edited by: "Natlover2" 20th Mar 2016
balsingh458

You can get a refund on online purchases but i agree, their in store … You can get a refund on online purchases but i agree, their in store policy stinks. bunch of numptys!

yeah, allowing people to return stuff when they have no legal obligation to do so, what a disgusting immoral company they are.
PrincessJellybean

I know they are heavily based in Shirebrook and placed in a community … I know they are heavily based in Shirebrook and placed in a community absolutely desperate for renewed hope and employment opportunities.In my eyes the vulnerability of that community has essentially been taken advantage of. I firmly believe employment law is not keeping up with the changes that have occurred within the employment sectors in the last 25 years.Society needs employment stability and the chance for people to be able support their families through the hard work they do.... This low cost sportswear has a unseen price and it's our communities ( and others around the world) that are paying for this.

When they moved to Shirebrook they announced it would bring hundreds of jobs which it did, what they didnt mention was they was bringing many of the current workforce with them to an already deprived area with limited housing choices, this has lead to severe overcrowding, houses are just packed with beds, unscrupulous landlords have illegally subdivided homes and violent crime in the area has increased (mostly drink fuelled), if we get an hot summer I can see tempers flaring up between the locals and largely immigrant workforce.
deleted1416210
harlzter

When they moved to Shirebrook they announced it would bring hundreds of … When they moved to Shirebrook they announced it would bring hundreds of jobs which it did, what they didnt mention was they was bringing many of the current workforce with them to an already deprived area with limited housing choices, this has lead to severe overcrowding, houses are just packed with beds, unscrupulous landlords have illegally subdivided homes and violent crime in the area has increased (mostly drink fuelled), if we get an hot summer I can see tempers flaring up between the locals and largely immigrant workforce.

That's terribly sad... I just hope the local people can stay focused and see the bigger picture and understand it is not the immigrants that they should be pointing the blame at; I think in many ways they too are victims.
It's so hard as a consumer to always make the right choices but I think people need to see the link between some of the problems in society and their consumer choices, and we need to keep pressure on the Government to make changes; because many current employment practices are destroying family and community life.
I really hope something positive can come from Mr Ashleys meeting with MP's in June.
( I wrote that last bit almost knowing that it's unlikely to be that simple, but I know change does have to come, so I will keep some hope)
PrincessJellybean

That's terribly sad... I just hope the local people can stay focused and … That's terribly sad... I just hope the local people can stay focused and see the bigger picture and understand it is not the immigrants that they should be pointing the blame at; I think in many ways they too are victims.It's so hard as a consumer to always make the right choices but I think people need to see the link between some of the problems in society and their consumer choices, and we need to keep pressure on the Government to make changes; because many current employment practices are destroying family and community life.I really hope something positive can come from Mr Ashleys meeting with MP's in June. ( I wrote that last bit almost knowing that it's unlikely to be that simple, but I know change does have to come, so I will keep some hope)

We live a few miles from there but have a rotating houseful of polish neighbours (some of the best neighbours we have ever had) who work there and from speaking to those who speak English they feel as they are treated as sub-human and its a case of they (sports direct and the agency they use for staff) say jump and its either reply "how high master?" or you get the boot, they are constantly advertising for staff as many don't stay due to the working conditions but SD don't care as they know they can always replace them as people are in dire need of a job.

You only have to look at the local papers website to get the gist of the situation and the scale of the problem its created.

If you get poor customer service at Sports Direct don't blame the staff, there's simply no incentive for them to care about you as a customer as that would be also caring about the company too, when you get as demoralised as they are there is never going to be any level of what we expect from customer services, the company is digging its own grave albeit with a teaspoon, slowly but surely however they are getting there.
deleted1416210
harlzter

We live a few miles from there but have a rotating houseful of polish … We live a few miles from there but have a rotating houseful of polish neighbours (some of the best neighbours we have ever had) who work there and from speaking to those who speak English they feel as they are treated as sub-human and its a case of they (sports direct and the agency they use for staff) say jump and its either reply "how high master?" or you get the boot, they are constantly advertising for staff as many don't stay due to the working conditions but SD don't care as they know they can always replace them as people are in dire need of a job.You only have to look at the local papers website to get the gist of the situation and the scale of the problem its created.

It really is a sorry state of affairs. Society demands...' people must work'.... 'people must work',
but society as a whole needs to open their eyes to what is going on out there.
There are so many people; good hardworking men and women, in so many jobs around the country who are trying so hard to earn a living for themselves, and their families. They are however being exploited in a way that should never be tolerated in a civilized society.
It is a situation that is pushing good people to breaking point.
It's not the first storm Shirebrook has weathered, and I really hope the community can stay strong to weather this one out.
I sincerely hope change for the better is on the horizon.
I noticed that New Zealand has recently banned Zero hours employment contracts... hopefully that is a good sign for other countries around the world.
Original Poster
Natlover2

That's one of the main reasons I don't shop there. Very few retailers are … That's one of the main reasons I don't shop there. Very few retailers are so poor with their customer service that they happily take your money but if you're not satisfied with the item you purchased then they refuse to refund using the same payment method used. Offering to give a refund as store credit just to keep your money in their hands isn't entirely fair and the only time it would be is in the instance that the time period for returns had elapsed (or if returned without a receipt) which is standard practice with most retailers. Another retailer I've recently found to do this is the Forbidden Planet International store (which isn't a small retailer either).

i returned the item the next day with the price still on it and said it was the wrong size. they didn't have the right size to exchange so it was even though i had changed my mind. it was just it wouldn't fit.

i just assumed that as a big retailer they would be like everyone else so i won't be buying anything there again for someone else as you really have to try it on before purchase since you won't be getting your money back.

a credit note is not the same as you may not want to buy anything there in future if they don't have anything you fancy in stock.
mutley1

i returned the item the next day with the price still on it and said it … i returned the item the next day with the price still on it and said it was the wrong size. they didn't have the right size to exchange so it was even though i had changed my mind. it was just it wouldn't fit.i just assumed that as a big retailer they would be like everyone else so i won't be buying anything there again for someone else as you really have to try it on before purchase since you won't be getting your money back.a credit note is not the same as you may not want to buy anything there in future if they don't have anything you fancy in stock.

Don't assume anything, read the terms at the tills, lesson learnt @)

Edited by: "deanos" 21st Mar 2016
mutley1

i returned the item the next day with the price still on it and said it … i returned the item the next day with the price still on it and said it was the wrong size. they didn't have the right size to exchange so it was even though i had changed my mind. it was just it wouldn't fit.i just assumed that as a big retailer they would be like everyone else so i won't be buying anything there again for someone else as you really have to try it on before purchase since you won't be getting your money back.a credit note is not the same as you may not want to buy anything there in future if they don't have anything you fancy in stock.

this policy is common knowledge - been posted about at least seven million and eight times
deanos

Agreed. It's always clearly noted at the tills and staff usually point it out as well.
Original Poster
deanos

this is good advice. however, how many people go to the till to read the refund policy before starting to shop at a new store? probably 2 in 100 if that.

i won't ever buy from sports direct unless it is in store and has been tried and fit. that is the lesson here, once bitten twice shy. i am amazed anyone buys clothes from them on their website as you have to pay for return postage.

me OH bought clothes based on their size guide and when the item arrived it was nothing like the sizes described on their website. they should really pay for return postage in this instance as the item is not what has been described.

if this had been bought from ebay, we could easily raise a refund request for mis-representation but try this with sports direct and you won't get very far.
Got stung by this years ago, never used them since. Especially with shoes its not always possible to tell how good the fit is by spending 20 seconds walking around in them, I just buy online from stores with better policies.
Edited by: "spaceinvader" 25th Mar 2016
vics219

only right if you initiate the return within 14 days and pay return postage.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants