Spotify on Ubuntu - can it be done?

Found 6th Sep 2009
OK last question - for now - from a Linux newbie

Is it possible to run spotify on Linux / Ubuntu

I have installed WINE and it seems to be running but I cannot run the Spotify Installer

So can it be done?

Any tips?

thanks

EliTom

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
8 Comments

i've got it on my linux netbook but don't ask me how! it just, did it really..................

Yes it can be done you need to install wine first and then download the windows version of spotify and install it using wine.

There's more instructions on the spotify website.

Do the install from the command line, i've done it in Fed 11 as root, in ubuntu you'll need to do something like

sudo wine spotify.exe

Original Poster

LawyerAdam;6226145

If you already have Wine, then this should be fairly straightforward. … If you already have Wine, then this should be fairly straightforward. :)Firstly, head to the Spotify site and download the windows version (select "open" and not "save" when you've clicked on download). Once downloaded, the wine installer should automatically come up and you'll be prompted to install it via Wine (just a case of pressing "next" a few times, if I recall correctly).It should succeed, and you'll have a blank icon on your desktop - double click it, and mark it as trusted. You should be good to go after that.You can also find it under Applications > Wine > Programs > Spotify.Hope this helps. It's been working fine for me, with a few caveats. The main problem I've encountered occurs when you maximise the window (it covers the entire screen). Not a deal breaker for me.

ah thanks - I did save the spotify installer then tried to run the exe via WINE.

I will try it your way tonight and see if it works.....

EliTom

elitom;6227682

ah thanks - I did save the spotify installer then tried to run the exe … ah thanks - I did save the spotify installer then tried to run the exe via WINE.I will try it your way tonight and see if it works.....EliTom

Ok, it should be fine; do you need any other help setting up the system? I take it you have already installed flash, codecs (for DVDs) etc? Have you installed a firewall? If not, open up the terminal and type the following: sudo apt-get install gufw (assuming you want a firewall, of course).

Original Poster

LawyerAdam;6228013

Ok, it should be fine; do you need any other help setting up the system? I … Ok, it should be fine; do you need any other help setting up the system? I take it you have already installed flash, codecs (for DVDs) etc? Have you installed a firewall? If not, open up the terminal and type the following: sudo apt-get install gufw (assuming you want a firewall, of course).

thanks for teh reply.

I was actually surprised how easy Ubuntu was to instal! Even setting up my networked printer and NAS were fairly starighforward. All I can say is that Linux has come on leaps and bounds since I last looked at it a year or so ago.

Ubuntu even has a kind of Mac feel to it :whistling:

I have got flash player working but have yet to try DVDs, so will check for codecs.

I have not put a software firewall on yet but may try gufw, although I do havea router FW.

the only problem I seem to have is the wifi card driver! Wifi works fine, but if I accidentally touch the hardware wifi button (which is next to the power / sleep button) then I cannot turn the wifi back on, except by going back into Windows 7 - turning wifi back on the rebooting back into Ubuntu. Maybe just a driver ssue?

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated

EliTom

Original Poster

LawyerAdam;6228586

No problem. :)Yeah, it really is easy to install. I'm still fairly new to … No problem. :)Yeah, it really is easy to install. I'm still fairly new to it myself, and I dual boot with windows. I would install Ubuntu Tweak - it's a very useful application that lets you do all kinds of things in a more accessible way (install codecs, software, expand sources easily, etc). Terminal: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweakDVD support (copy and paste to terminal): sudo aptitude install libdvdcss2 && sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/./install-css.sh Another useful code is: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extrasThis can be done graphically as well, but it's easier for me to give you the code to put in the terminal I think. Not sure about the Wifi card - have you googled the model to check it's compatibility with ubuntu? Or, if you're using a laptop, just google the name of it.If you have a graphics card (doesn't have to be amazing), you can get some pretty sweet effects through compiz as well (if you want them, that is).

Yes laptop graphics card support compiz! I have installed a Mac OSX theme and this uses compiz to give a wobbly effect when fraging a dialogue box !

Will try the other things you say tonight - looks like an evening of Linux again.

I aslo havea dual boot with Windows 7, but so far Ubuntu does most of my everyday tasks. We will see what happens with serious photo editing or DVD ripping !

EliTom

Original Poster

LawyerAdam;6228586

No problem. :)Yeah, it really is easy to install. I'm still fairly new to … No problem. :)Yeah, it really is easy to install. I'm still fairly new to it myself, and I dual boot with windows. I would install Ubuntu Tweak - it's a very useful application that lets you do all kinds of things in a more accessible way (install codecs, software, expand sources easily, etc). Terminal: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweakDVD support (copy and paste to terminal): sudo aptitude install libdvdcss2 && sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/./install-css.sh Another useful code is: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extrasThis can be done graphically as well, but it's easier for me to give you the code to put in the terminal I think. Not sure about the Wifi card - have you googled the model to check it's compatibility with ubuntu? Or, if you're using a laptop, just google the name of it.If you have a graphics card (doesn't have to be amazing), you can get some pretty sweet effects through compiz as well (if you want them, that is).

Bingo - sotify works perfectly !

Also installed the codecs but DVDs will not play with totem movie player but play with Kaffenine so we will see how that goes.

Now just one last question - when I did run the terminal scripts for the codecs it also decided to delete my Brother printer drivers !

When I tried to re-install the printer drivers afterwords I get the message that a later version is available from software stream or something like that - how do I find this software stream?

EliTom

BTW have some rep

Original Poster

LawyerAdam;6232492

Thanks :-DVLC is regarded as one of the best video/media players (it … Thanks :-DVLC is regarded as one of the best video/media players (it plays pretty much everything, in my experience; it's popular on Windows, too). So you could try that if you want.:oops: Sorry about the printer issue; are you sure that the terminal commands did that? Which one? The one for DVD codecs? How would that affect it? Have tried updating the system? Software stream?? What exactly is it called? Sorry, but I've never set up a printer under linux before.

Yes used VLC on Windows and Mac so know that one.

Yep definitely said that the Brother cups and lpr drivers were not needed and would be deleted. And afterwards printer would not work, but just re-installed them and all OK again. Yes it was the first of the codec ones.

The System Update is great - even better than windows and it has just grabbed new Brother printer lrp and cups files so even better!

The original brother driver files installed OK but warned me that there are new drivers in Software Channel - whatever that is.

I am really getting to like this Linux game - it really is on a par with Mac OSX and far more comfortable than Windows

EliTom
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251
    2. word association Game74244916
    3. Add one, leave one game54415442
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604813

See more discussions