Spraying underlay/carpet down - spray suggestions?

Posted 28th Mar 2019
I'm considering spraying down underlay as opposed to paying the carpet shop to do it. Has anyone used any carpet/underlay sprays that have been very good or I need to stay away from?
Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
No. I don't know the technique but I would be wondering if in 10/15 years time, when the underlay may not be so fresh and need replacing, the surface of the screed is going to have granulated and break up as the underlay is removed
Never heard of the technique either , I presume it must be some sort of expanding foam ? I would presume , like plastering , it would need application by a skilled and experienced person otherwise you would end up with an uneven base for your carpet .
Are you referring to sticking down rolls of underlay? As spraying a layer of underlay sounds very odd.

I’ve bought rolls online for a 1/3 of store costs and at a far higher quality. Even then I got a separate carpet fitter in to lay it and my carpet.

As for putting down underlay. There is no real art to it. Keep it a few inches from the edges and tack it down. Make sure you make clean joins for continuity and no overlaps.
It's is normal to just glue spray in door ways (areas of high foot traffic). This is also a more recent development - 20 years ago underlay was not glued down!

Just a standard spray adhesive was used when I last had carpets fitted - something like this - toolstation.com/spr…790

I laid the underlay myself and let the fitter glue it down where he thought necessary.
Van19739 m ago

It's is normal to just glue spray in door ways (areas of high foot …It's is normal to just glue spray in door ways (areas of high foot traffic). This is also a more recent development - 20 years ago underlay was not glued down!Just a standard spray adhesive was used when I last had carpets fitted - something like this - https://www.toolstation.com/spray-contact-adhesive/p47790I laid the underlay myself and let the fitter glue it down where he thought necessary.

True. Cheap underlay needs gluing down. Good underlay doesn't. It is a prime example of low cost being high cost in the end as the carpet and substrate both wear more quickly.
You can either staple it or spray adhesive. Many fitters staple it as its sometimes faster and dosnt require a clean floor.
If you do use adhesive hoover the floor boards first or half of the adhesive will just mix with dust and not stick, but its simple roll it out cut to shape and attach
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 28th Mar 2019
Apologies I meant buy the underlay online and spray glue it down. Thank you all for your comments. I think I'm going to have to do more research into it.
Mark_Hickman4 h, 11 m ago

You can either staple it or spray adhesive. Many fitters staple it as its …You can either staple it or spray adhesive. Many fitters staple it as its sometimes faster and dosnt require a clean floor.If you do use adhesive hoover the floor boards first or half of the adhesive will just mix with dust and not stick, but its simple roll it out cut to shape and attach

Thank you. I wouldn't have even thought of the dust. Will do this if I go with the adhesive spray option.
dont use spray or glue. Use staples. Only thing you glue is the carpet gripper.

Once the grippers are down start the underlay at the gripper. Not over it. Roll it from one end to the other. Staple from the gripper end and cut at the bottom.

Its simple and easy will take 5 mins.

(My dad is a capet fitter by trade)
Edited by: "Deleted_" 28th Mar 2019
Nail the grippers down staple the underlay down and seal the joints with tape it’s a doddle.Spray glue is only used for Lino/vinyl flooring. You can get a hammer tacker stapler for a £10 do it yourself
deleted1471098
I wouldn’t. Get proper underlay as it’ll make the carpet last longer and wear better. It’ll be warmer and feel nicer under your feet (a lovely feeling walking on nice carpet that has good underlay!).

If you don’t want to pay the fitter or carpet shop buy your own and pull up your carpets. Then lay the underlay before the fitter comes. They can just then lay the carpet. Plenty of video tips on your tube I’m sure if you need it.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 29th Mar 2019
deleted147109829/03/2019 08:59

I wouldn’t. Get proper underlay as it’ll make the carpet last longer and we …I wouldn’t. Get proper underlay as it’ll make the carpet last longer and wear better. It’ll be warmer and feel nicer under your feet (a lovely feeling walking on nice carpet that has good underlay!).If you don’t want to pay the fitter or carpet shop buy your own and pull up your carpets. Then lay the underlay before the fitter comes. They can just then lay the carpet. Plenty of video tips on your tube I’m sure if you need it.

Thank you for your help. The carpet shop measurer has been this morning and has informed me that the fitter they use will for my own underlay for a small fee. This saves me about £6/sm so I've gone for this option. Much easier too!
Thanks for everyones help. This is now solved I've gone for the buy my own underlay and the carpet fitter will fit it for a small additional fee
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants