Groups

Square Enix has withdrawn from Hitman developer and internal studio IO Interactiv, and has begun negotiations with potential new investors to keep the studio alive, the company announced.

Surprising news. If I understand correctly they are looking for someone else to take io Interactive..who would be your pick if that was the case? THQ Nordic seem to be on a role with picking up studios and IPs.

Read more at gematsu.com/201…ors

Top comments

I hope they learn from Hitman experience and don't do the same with FF7 remake. Releasing a game in instalments will put potential buyers off. You keep telling yourself: I'll buy it when it's fully released until the day you completely forget about it...
    30 Comments

I hope they learn from Hitman experience and don't do the same with FF7 remake. Releasing a game in instalments will put potential buyers off. You keep telling yourself: I'll buy it when it's fully released until the day you completely forget about it...

That worked very well for hitman, it kept people and the press talking about it all year round

Original Poster

mixmixi

I hope they learn from Hitman experience and don't do the same with FF7 … I hope they learn from Hitman experience and don't do the same with FF7 remake. Releasing a game in instalments will put potential buyers off. You keep telling yourself: I'll buy it when it's fully released until the day you completely forget about it...

​I did read a while back the reason why Square Enix have done nothing but remasters and episodic games was because they had no faith in this generation of consoles. So when the PS4 and Xbox One beat expectations Square Enix were scrambling to release games quickly.

But talking about it does not necessarily mean sale. See, I am a consumer myself. I do buy games. My final goal it to buy a copy of each PS4 games that is released. I still have not bought hitman (whilst I am actively ordering between 10-20 games per month). I keep telling myself I will buy it when it is complete. Now they released the first season and then announced season two. I really wanted to buy it but that put me on hold... again.
    BIGPHIL69

That worked very well for hitman, it kept people and the press talking … That worked very well for hitman, it kept people and the press talking about it all year round

mixmixi

I hope they learn from Hitman experience and don't do the same with FF7 … I hope they learn from Hitman experience and don't do the same with FF7 remake. Releasing a game in instalments will put potential buyers off. You keep telling yourself: I'll buy it when it's fully released until the day you completely forget about it...

Square Enix in my opinion is a greedy company (after Konami). They are well known for years selling ports/remakes/remasters. I personally don't think their issue comes back to this generation of gaming.

Unless Square Enix sell the Hitman IP along with IO they won't get any offers. Unfortunately its the IPs that are valuable in the game industry not the people making them.
    Edited by: "darkspace100" 11th May

I hope someone picks them up, they're a talented studio.

I'd imagine they'll be looking at off-loading most of the umbrella studios that aren't now working on Marvel stuff. I'm guessing this is the end of 'Deus Ex', 'Tomb Raider' et al as we know them... Valuable IP's, but they'll sit on them rather than sell them.
    Edited by: "Krooner" 11th May

Krooner

I hope someone picks them up, they're a talented studio.I'd imagine … I hope someone picks them up, they're a talented studio.I'd imagine they'll be looking at off-loading most of the umbrella studios that aren't now working on Marvel stuff. I'm guessing this is the end of 'Deus Ex', 'Tomb Raider' et al as we know them... Valuable IP's, but they'll sit on them rather than sell them.

But thats the thing unless they sell the Hitman IP no one will buy them as it would make more sense and more cheaper to just build a new studio and start hiring.

darkspace100

But thats the thing unless they sell the Hitman IP no one will buy them … But thats the thing unless they sell the Hitman IP no one will buy them as it would make more sense and more cheaper to just build a new studio and start hiring.

You're not wrong. Not sure what the situation, but I think the Hitman IP is owned buy what was Eidos, so it'l be firmly in Squares pocket. They had tried to take development of Hitman off of IO before after Blood Money released, so I'd suppose that'll be the plan for it moving forward. IO (or whatever becomes of them) will have to go the "spiritual successor" route.

Original Poster

Krooner

You're not wrong. Not sure what the situation, but I think the Hitman IP … You're not wrong. Not sure what the situation, but I think the Hitman IP is owned buy what was Eidos, so it'l be firmly in Squares pocket. They had tried to take development of Hitman off of IO before after Blood Money released, so I'd suppose that'll be the plan for it moving forward. IO (or whatever becomes of them) will have to go the "spiritual successor" route.

​Ouch, selling io interactive without the Hitman IP will be difficult.

Robot_Rooster

Ouch, selling io interactive without the Hitman IP will be difficult.

They *might* have Kane & Lynch...

Original Poster

Krooner

They *might* have Kane & Lynch...

​I actually enjoyed the Kane and Lynch games played them in splitscreen co-op which probably helped. ^^

Robot_Rooster

I actually enjoyed the Kane and Lynch games played them in splitscreen … I actually enjoyed the Kane and Lynch games played them in splitscreen co-op which probably helped. ^^

I didn't mind them either, but the value there would be the film rights I think. It's been optioned twice for adaptation, nothing's come of it, but options have to be renewed every five years IIRC. So it's money on the books. (assuming Universal keep it optioned)

darkspace100

Unless Square Enix sell the Hitman IP along with IO they won't get any … Unless Square Enix sell the Hitman IP along with IO they won't get any offers. Unfortunately its the IPs that are valuable in the game industry not the people making them.

True that, my old friend. I agree.

sony should pick them up

Switchy87

sony should pick them up

out of all three, if any of them would i would say Microsoft which for them would be a goodthing as they are lacking exclusives at the moment

voyager123

out of all three, if any of them would i would say Microsoft which for … out of all three, if any of them would i would say Microsoft which for them would be a goodthing as they are lacking exclusives at the moment

With the movie rights thing I mentioned above, I'd think that the most interested parties would be the film houses with Video game arms, Warner Bros. for instance.

BIGPHIL69

That worked very well for hitman, it kept people and the press talking … That worked very well for hitman, it kept people and the press talking about it all year round

​Sadly, I played the beta, felt the game was good. Heard of delays between episodes.

Decided go wait for the physical release, that's came and gone, not bought it. Had actually forgot all about it

mixmixi

But talking about it does not necessarily mean sale. See, I am a consumer … But talking about it does not necessarily mean sale. See, I am a consumer myself. I do buy games. My final goal it to buy a copy of each PS4 games that is released. I still have not bought hitman (whilst I am actively ordering between 10-20 games per month). I keep telling myself I will buy it when it is complete. Now they released the first season and then announced season two. I really wanted to buy it but that put me on hold... again.Square Enix in my opinion is a greedy company (after Konami). They are well known for years selling ports/remakes/remasters. I personally don't think their issue comes back to this generation of gaming.

​Mixi you need to get it given your collection. Its usually always on the psn sale. So much content and its just one of the most underrated games.

Banned

voyager123

out of all three, if any of them would i would say Microsoft which for … out of all three, if any of them would i would say Microsoft which for them would be a goodthing as they are lacking exclusives at the moment

​None of the three will bid. Nor should you want them to if you want Hitman and the devs to continue. This gen, both MS and Sony have a poor reputation with closures.

Your best bet is a third party, like Warner Bros. Hitman would go nicely alongside their stable of MK, LotR, Batman, etc.

I would have said THQNordic would be a fairly good fit for them, as they are still investing in studios, they are from a similar part of the world and unlike EA or Activision, wont throw them under a bus.

Although it's looking unlikely that the Hitman IP will be included in a sale, I do hope IO Interactive come out of this in one piece. I mean, it was only last November that they made a big song and dance of its redesigned logo, new office space, and optimism for its future thanks to how the new Hitman game had been performing.

Malkaurai

Although it's looking unlikely that the Hitman IP will be included in a … Although it's looking unlikely that the Hitman IP will be included in a sale, I do hope IO Interactive come out of this in one piece. I mean, it was only last November that they made a big song and dance of its redesigned logo, new office space, and optimism for its future thanks to how the new Hitman game had been performing.

Yeah thats what I find strange about this. It was literally a few months ago they made a big deal of their new office and logo yet now they are getting shafted by Square Enix. Like what changed during those months as obviously someone greenlit a season 2 and set up a new studio for IO Interactive which obviously wouldn't be cheap. I also have a feeling the Marvel partnership with Square Enix had something to do with this. Maybe they thought with the Marvel license would bring them easy money and made them realize Hitman games were too expensive for the investment they put in?

darkspace100

Yeah thats what I find strange about this. It was literally a few months … Yeah thats what I find strange about this. It was literally a few months ago they made a big deal of their new office and logo yet now they are getting shafted by Square Enix. Like what changed during those months as obviously someone greenlit a season 2 and set up a new studio for IO Interactive which obviously wouldn't be cheap. I also have a feeling the Marvel partnership with Square Enix had something to do with this. Maybe they thought with the Marvel license would bring them easy money and made them realize Hitman games were too expensive for the investment they put in?

I've seen a few people on Twitter theorise the same thing. My guess is that, in addition to that, they had AAA targets for an episodic game that was coming off the back of Absolution, which had a mixed reception at best. I also think that SE did nothing to push the Complete Season One release that game out in January, which should have been a priority to grab those that dislike waiting for content.

Regardless of the reason, it's still a crappy situation that I hope IO escape from.

Banned

I would have said THQNordic would be a fairly good fit for them, as they are still investing in studios, they are from a similar part of the world and unlike EA or Activision, wont throw them under a bus.

Yeah, THQN is a good pick as well and likely will be one of the key bidders. Indeed, I would expect THQN buying up IO even without the Hitman IP, which cannot be said of most other publishers.

Treat this as a rumour until it's officially confirmed, but a German gaming website claims a source has told them that IO will keep the Hitman IP in the event of a sale from Square Enix. The article goes on to state that they're also halfway through production of Season 2, and that it should be launching near the start of 2018. Apparently IO Interactive will be making a formal statement next week.

I hope this is true, but I'll be taking it with a pinch of salt until we get something more official.

They really, reaaaally should do a Sleeping Dogs 2!!

Original Poster

118luke

They really, reaaaally should do a Sleeping Dogs 2!!

​The developers of that game went bust after trying to make an mmo based on the franchise that no one asked for.

Banned

Malkaurai

Treat this as a rumour until it's officially confirmed, but a German … Treat this as a rumour until it's officially confirmed, but a German gaming website claims a source has told them that IO will keep the Hitman IP in the event of a sale from Square Enix. The article goes on to state that they're also halfway through production of Season 2, and that it should be launching near the start of 2018. Apparently IO Interactive will be making a formal statement next week.I hope this is true, but I'll be taking it with a pinch of salt until we get something more official.

​Good news if true. It makes IO a far more attractive buy to bidders. I expect a bidding war between (at least) THQ Nordic, Warner Bros, and Deep Silver. Out of those, I hope DS doesn't snap them up (for a publisher they've been making some real boneheaded decisions).

IO's future depends on more Hitman and Hitman can only be done justice by IO. One cannot live without the other, so I'm hoping this rumour is true. Without Hitman in this industry we're left with not a lotta choice in the true stealth genre (and no - AC, FC, WD, and the like don't count because those titles are **** poor in stealth). The closest we have is bloody Yandere Simulator. YANDERE SIMULATOR.

God help us.

Banned

Fantastic news, everyone! SE is willing to sell Hitman IP to ensure IO's future.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-30-square-enix-willing-to-give-up-hitman-rights-to-ensure-series-future

This is going to make a purchase of IO much more likely. Hopefully, SE insists on the two elements being inseparable in the sale, otherwise some cheeky pubs will just opt for the Hitman IP rights alone.

Original Poster

neilanderton1

Fantastic news, everyone! SE is willing to sell Hitman IP to ensure IO's … Fantastic news, everyone! SE is willing to sell Hitman IP to ensure IO's future.http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-30-square-enix-willing-to-give-up-hitman-rights-to-ensure-series-futureThis is going to make a purchase of IO much more likely. Hopefully, SE insists on the two elements being inseparable in the sale, otherwise some cheeky pubs will just opt for the Hitman IP rights alone.

​Fingers crossed for neither Activision, EA or Ubsioft picking them up.

My pick is still THQnordic.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2235
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917265

See more discussions