Squeaking noise from rear car wheel

Posted 26th Oct
My car is driving me insane!
It went into the garage last week as the handbrake had failed, they tightened and cleaned it all up, sorted. But it’s come home with the most ear piercing squeaking from the left rear wheel. When I brake the noise stops. I took it back into the garage and they said pad and discs are fine and that it’s probably a bit of rust.
I cant drive it whilst it’s making this noise, any advice please
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Take it to another garage. There’s clearly something wrong. Even if it’s minor
What sort of car? It’s possibly the handbrake shoes inside the rear disc are too tight, and as such, pressing against the inside of the disc all the time. Small adjustment would fix it if that’s the issue

Edit - have you tried applying the handbrake lightly when driving at slow speed? If not, try it and see if the noise goes away
Edited by: "Diggsy" 26th Oct
Diggsy26/10/2019 22:53

What sort of car? It’s possibly the handbrake shoes inside the rear disc a …What sort of car? It’s possibly the handbrake shoes inside the rear disc are too tight, and as such, pressing against the inside of the disc all the time. Small adjustment would fix it if that’s the issue

That would make sense seen as they’d just tightened the handbrake up. It’s a VW polo, thanks
Have u checked yr GF ear-rings lol? (Jasper Carrot)
A short drive at slow speed with the handbrake lightly applied should confirm one way or the other. Once confirmed, I would take it back and get them to adjust it again. You’ve already paid them so shouldn’t have to do it yourself!
ChuckTheDuck26/10/2019 22:57

Have u checked yr GF ear-rings lol? (Jasper Carrot)

I’m smiling and nodding...😬
Diggsy26/10/2019 22:58

A short drive at slow speed with the handbrake lightly applied should …A short drive at slow speed with the handbrake lightly applied should confirm one way or the other. Once confirmed, I would take it back and get them to adjust it again. You’ve already paid them so shouldn’t have to do it yourself!

Thanks so much for your advice, I will test it tomorrow as I’ve probably woken the whole street up with it tonight 😬
hunter8226/10/2019 23:01

Thanks so much for your advice, I will test it tomorrow as I’ve probably w …Thanks so much for your advice, I will test it tomorrow as I’ve probably woken the whole street up with it tonight 😬

No problems at all. I had a similar noise in an old car, and that’s exactly what it was. Quick adjustment sorted it. Fairly sure the VW Polo uses a similar setup - the handbrake shoes inside the disc / drum. They work by springs and a cable which pulls them against the inside surface. If they’re adjusted too tight then the shoes will rub off the metal surface, causing, as you already alluded to, a horrendous noise!

Hope you get it sorted
Edited by: "Diggsy" 26th Oct
Can you get them to go for a quick test drive whilst it's squeaking? I've just had exactly the same thing but mine was the front wheel. Mine, however WAS a build up of debris on the drive shaft.

If they didn't test it on the road, could you have a wheel bearing gone? They squeal too.

Regards, Phsy.
Maybe a wheel bearing ??
@hunter82

"My car is driving me insane!..."

Bloomin' French GPS directions!

38791868-7OzrA.jpg
Unless you are just in deNile (& a long way off-track).
I've just brought car mechanic simulator thanks to a deal posted on here. Give me a few weeks and I will come round with the game controller and fix your car
Edited by: "AndyM989" 27th Oct
hunter8226/10/2019 22:54

That would make sense seen as they’d just tightened the handbrake up. It’s …That would make sense seen as they’d just tightened the handbrake up. It’s a VW polo, thanks

I've a Polo too and makes a whining noise in reverse. Getting it checked next week.
AndyM98926/10/2019 23:49

I've just brought car mechanic simulator thanks to a deal posted on here. …I've just brought car mechanic simulator thanks to a deal posted on here. Give me a few weeks and I will come round with the game controller and fix your car

Can I pay you in white Flamedeer
Sure but to be honest, you'd be overpaying
u66454127/10/2019 11:13

I've a Polo too and makes a whining noise in reverse. Getting it checked …I've a Polo too and makes a whining noise in reverse. Getting it checked next week.

Like this?

38798778-Ff9vS.jpg
So I took it a couple of miles today and no noise at all. It only seems to be happening after driving 20+ miles :/
hunter8227/10/2019 15:10

So I took it a couple of miles today and no noise at all. It only seems to …So I took it a couple of miles today and no noise at all. It only seems to be happening after driving 20+ miles :/

Still sounds like the shoes....heat = swell, cool = shrink
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants