Groups

squealing laptop and looking for external 2.5" hard drive with pata interface on the hard drive

hi,

having a lil' problem with my laptop that i'm using now (not that knowing that helps), when i turn it on it makes a squealing noise or a scratching kind of sound.
    It started a few days ago, a whack would stop it, but now its pretty difficult to stop it, i've tried smacking it, turning it, shaking it etc. When it doesn't stop making those noises, it won't boot up the OS, goes to one of those dos like screens, something about MBA configuration, crtl+alt+del, stuff like that.
    Would you think this is a hard drive problem?

I'm busy looking to replace the hard drive, but looking for an external 2.5" hard drive, that has a pata interface, this way i'd get a hard drive enclosure and a hard drive. However, I am having trouble find one that doesn't has a sata interface.
    Anyone know of one?

EDIT:i am planning to put that hard drive into my laptop, and put the laptop one into the hard drive enclosure.

5 Comments

Ebuyer have plenty of external 2'5" IDE (PATA) drives. But if it's external it'd connect to your laptop via USB, so does it really matter if it's a SATA or IDE connection inside the external enclosure? Or are you planning on making the drive internal in future? If so, please ignore that question.

As for the problem, you'd have to put the exact error messages your getting, give as much detail as possible. Write it down next time it comes up then post it. ' crtl+alt+del, stuff like that.' is really vague and could be caused my hundreds of errors. The more detail you give the better chance you have of someone knowing what it is.

Original Poster

Wotan;1961047

Ebuyer have plenty of external 2'5" IDE (PATA) drives. But if it's … Ebuyer have plenty of external 2'5" IDE (PATA) drives. But if it's external it'd connect to your laptop via USB, so does it really matter if it's a SATA or IDE connection inside the external enclosure? Or are you planning on making the drive internal in future? If so, please ignore that question.As for the problem, you'd have to put the exact error messages your getting, give as much detail as possible. Write it down next time it comes up then post it. ' crtl+alt+del, stuff like that.' is really vague and could be caused my hundreds of errors. The more detail you give the better chance you have of someone knowing what it is.

thanx for the reply, forgot to say, i am planning to put that hard drive into my laptop, and put the laptop one into the hard drive enclosure.

yea, it's all i remember, didn't want that noise coming from my laptop for too long, so cudn't read it all and just turned it off.

Could also be an internal fan making a noise. Hard drives tend to clunk more and fans tend to whine.

mug51;1961144

thanx for the reply, forgot to say, i am planning to put that hard drive … thanx for the reply, forgot to say, i am planning to put that hard drive into my laptop, and put the laptop one into the hard drive enclosure.yea, it's all i remember, didn't want that noise coming from my laptop for too long, so cudn't read it all and just turned it off.

I'd get a drive from ebuyer then, plenty of them, I have this one

ebuyer.com/pro…304

but there's plenty their to choose from.

Without the error message it's unlikely anyone will be able to figure out the problem, if I were you I'd write it down as quickly as possible and then turn the machine off.

Original Poster

thanx again for the replies.

that looks good, comments say it is not sata, a few say it is, looking at the specification on the drive people say is inside it, shows it is sata.

all very confusing
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767472
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691425
      3. word association Game74044579
      4. One thing you've forgotten911

See more discussions