Posted 19th Feb 2022
Hello all

Looking to replace my existing 1 TB HDD in my old Inspiron 3847 desktop with an SSD. It is not slow but also not the fastest, especially when say it is updating or dropbox/box are syncing etc.

The way I see it is my Inspiron is 8 years old or so so if that does not do the trick and speed it up a bit I can buy another desktop with an HDD and pop the new SSD in it, but if it works for a few years in the Inspiron win win!

Would like some help & advice on best brand to go for, I am looking for good reliability and speed wise I am easy as I do not game and let's face it any SSD will be lightning compared to my HDD!

So from my reading I am ranking:

1. Samsung Evo
2. Crucial MX
3. Sandisk
Any others I am missing?

Also regarding the size of drive, I am currently only using 186 GB the 1TB available and I could could probably get that down a bit if I cleared up some duplicates & software that I do not use anymore. I've no plans to start gaming or storing films etc on there and I also have 2 external HDD's so should be good for storage so probably looking at 500 to be safe, but possibly 250 if one can be had at a good price!

So I'm thinking for the extra few £'s I am better going for the 500gb Evo, what you all think?

Any advice gratefully received thank you

Paul
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
The Crucial MX500 is a always an excellent choice to go for, just get the 1tb for £75 at Amazon, job done.
A vote for the MX Crucial here, just superb
16 Comments
  1. Avatar
    It’s all down to price as I see it.
    I have a 1TB crucial ssd, it’s still in the box as not got round to fitting it.
    I have an integral 240gb ssd. Been in my comp for 6 years now with no issues.
    I then added my old had for extra storage.
    As your pc is quite old I would just get a good priced and reliable drive, it will make a big difference.

This is my one.
    amazon.co.uk/Int…h=1
  2. Avatar
    damn i wrote a comment but lost it
    i would get a 480gb SSD from a reliable brand
    crucial
    patriot
    adata
    kingston
    integral
    kioxia (new brand for toshiba)
    pny
    sandisk
    samsung

i have had some chinese ones in builds but some have failed.. some still going strong... amazon usually replace no quibbles but my patriot is still going strong in my own rig

i was looking for ones with DRAM in the above brand list in £35-£40 range for 480gb but couldn't find with DRAM for that price unfortunately.

DRAM is seen to be better as it stores the location of files in a cache on ram rather than on the drive.

edit : this has DRAM and is £74.69 for 1tb drive
    i'd seriously consider this if you can afford it as better bang for buck

amazon.co.uk/Cru…8-3

this is £66 but no dram
    amazon.co.uk/Cru…h=1
    Edited by: "jameshothothot" 19th Feb
  3. Avatar
    The Crucial MX500 is a always an excellent choice to go for, just get the 1tb for £75 at Amazon, job done.
  4. Avatar
    Just upgraded one of mine to the Samsung 1TB EVO SSD and it's super speedy compared to my old HDD If by any chance you (or anybody you know) have access to Samsung's student portal, you can pick it up for around £70 on there!
  5. Avatar
    A vote for the MX Crucial here, just superb
  6. Avatar
    The warranty on a Crucial drive makes it a no brainer. I switched to an SSD as my main boot drive on my laptop and swapped out the DVD drive to fit a second SSD (1TB). Makes a big difference
  7. Avatar
    MX500 every time. I've put this drive in a couple of very old laptops and it made them entirely useable again. Would recommend MX500 without hesitation.
  8. Avatar
    jameshothothot19/02/2022 19:05

damn i wrote a comment but lost iti would get a 480gb SSD from a reliable …damn i wrote a comment but lost iti would get a 480gb SSD from a reliable brandcrucialpatriotadatakingstonintegralkioxia (new brand for toshiba)pnysandisksamsungi have had some chinese ones in builds but some have failed.. some still going strong... amazon usually replace no quibbles but my patriot is still going strong in my own rigi was looking for ones with DRAM in the above brand list in £35-£40 range for 480gb but couldn't find with DRAM for that price unfortunately.DRAM is seen to be better as it stores the location of files in a cache on ram rather than on the drive.edit : this has DRAM and is £74.69 for 1tb drivei'd seriously consider this if you can afford it as better bang for buckhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX500-CT1000MX500SSD1-NAND-Internal/dp/B078211KBB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=ZCQZ5QZHKVDC&keywords=ssd+1tb&qid=1645297565&sprefix=ssd+1tb+,aps,38&sr=8-3this is £66 but no dramhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-BX500-CT1000BX500SSD1-Internal-NAND/dp/B07YD579WM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=ZCQZ5QZHKVDC&keywords=ssd+1tb&qid=1645297565&sprefix=ssd+1tb+,aps,38&sr=8-4&th=1

Whilst what you say is true to a certain extent. You need to consider that any ssd, will be many times faster than a mechanical hard disk. Particularly on an old pc. I looked up the model, and it's got 4 sata 3 ports labeled 0-3, and no M.2

I don't think the average user would notice that much difference in speed, unless they have used lots of new hardware or have used lots of different ssd's to be able to compare. It will just seem a lot quicker and more responsive, to them.

Also, Samsung have solved that problem with their latest series. See this article...

insights.samsung.com/202…ll/

I would just get a 240/250 or a 480/512 as a max for this machine based on what ever is the best price vs capacity. The brands listed by the OP are all OK. Just compare the quoted read/write speeds, higher the better.

Personally I favour Samsung, WD or Crucial.
    Edited by: "C0mm0d0re_K1d" 20th Feb
  9. Avatar
    So much drama and over-consideration for an 8 years old lump.
    Blow £22 on a branded 240GB SSD, random example amazon.co.uk/Int…N7/
    No need to buy cabling as Inspiron 3847 has sufficient spare.
    Connect cabling and bung the SSD into the case, anywhere, don't even bother considering buying a 2.5-3.5 holder.
    Use freebie Macrium Reflect to clone the old warts-n-all installation to the new drive (yes, MR can accommodate the reduced drive capacity) macrium.com/ref…ree
    Change boot drive to the SSD (via F2 during boot splash).
    The user's quality of life is now significantly enhanced via a nippier ancient PC and (yet another) spare drive with minimum 800GB free space.

Anything beyond above is sheer self-indulgence, where self-indulgence is fine if the user wishes to placate OCD tendencies about how best to spend circa £22 and 22mins.
  10. Avatar
    Author
    AndyRoyd20/02/2022 11:32

So much drama and over-consideration for an 8 years old lump.Blow £22 on a …So much drama and over-consideration for an 8 years old lump.Blow £22 on a branded 240GB SSD, random example https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-240-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B06XBTYTN7/No need to buy cabling as Inspiron 3847 has sufficient spare.Connect cabling and bung the SSD into the case, anywhere, don't even bother considering buying a 2.5-3.5 holder.Use freebie Macrium Reflect to clone the old warts-n-all installation to the new drive (yes, MR can accommodate the reduced drive capacity) https://www.macrium.com/reflectfreeChange boot drive to the SSD (via F2 during boot splash).The user's quality of life is now significantly enhanced via a nippier ancient PC and (yet another) spare drive with minimum 800GB free space.Anything beyond above is sheer self-indulgence, where self-indulgence is fine if the user wishes to placate OCD tendencies about how best to spend circa £22 and 22mins.

Cracking, love that!
    You know what I've got a 256 in an old laptop so may just do what you suggested first. As I said can back up as have externals.

Thanks all for your input and advice, much appreciated.

Now if I do a couple more questions:

How many hours will I need to put aside to clone the old drive
    Do I need to change BIOS from RAID to AHCI as been told SSD usually prefer AHCI.

Thanks again all
  11. Avatar
    RedDevilPJB20/02/2022 12:21

Cracking, love that!You know what I've got a 256 in an old laptop so may …Cracking, love that!You know what I've got a 256 in an old laptop so may just do what you suggested first. As I said can back up as have externals.Thanks all for your input and advice, much appreciated. Now if I do a couple more questions:How many hours will I need to put aside to clone the old driveDo I need to change BIOS from RAID to AHCI as been told SSD usually prefer AHCI.Thanks again all

A clone is a clone = same old same old, but on new.
    Any optional tweaks are your choice of how to spend your time with your assessment of (time)costs/return benefit.
    Just clean install if you want to tick all boxes to extract every penny from a zero-cost (repurposed-kit) upgrade and have a few hours to kill installing this, downloading that, tweaking the other, troubleshooting that non-performing driver and other dreadfully dull tat that distracts you from otherwise having and enjoying a life.

Cloning time will be pretty much comparable to how long it takes to copy'n'spit 186GB; the cloning function will not add or detract any significant difference to shifting 186GB regardless of any pre/post compression.
    You will probably spend longer downloading & installing the cloning software & looking at the clone options compared to the actual cloning time, where during cloning you can do something productive unrelated to being sat in front of a PC whilst the disinteresting cloning completes.
  12. Avatar
    Contrary to the advice you've been given, google to see if your mobo supports NVMe, and if it does, buy a basic 1TB NVMe drive. A WD sn550 would be ideal.

Thing is, there's not really any point in buying an old SATA drive. They're the same price as NVMe, they make your system more reliable (fewer points of failure, due to them being screwed into a PCB rather than hooked up through three connectors and two cables), and for the times where it's just nice that things feel a little snappier, they offer some 10x the performance of SATA. The only reason to buy SATA is if your system lacks NVMe compatibility.
  13. Avatar
    C0mm0d0re_K1d already googled the specs so no m.2 drive.
  14. Avatar
    Author
    46957274_1.jpgI'm not sure what's happened here but I seem to have a lot of partitions in my original HDD that have cloned to my SSD. Do I really need 3 recovery partitions or can I get rid and merge them?
    If so how do I go about doing that please or should I just format the SSD & clone the relevant parts and which ones please.

Thanks in advance
    Edited by: "RedDevilPJB" 22nd Feb
  15. Avatar
    RedDevilPJB22/02/2022 18:58

[Image] I'm not sure what's happened here but I seem to have a lot of …[Image] I'm not sure what's happened here but I seem to have a lot of partitions in my original HDD that have cloned to my SSD. Do I really need 3 recovery partitions or can I get rid and merge them?If so how do I go about doing that please or should I just format the SSD & clone the relevant parts and which ones please.Thanks in advance

I see less partitions on the smaller drive, and the two partitions beyond the boot partition could likely be binned on the assumption they relate to the zero-data and not-cloned X partition on the source drive, unless you have some non-standard config.
    For the sake of 12GB it is likely of no importance, but you could consider binning each one of the final two partitions off the SSD and if the SSD doesn't boot then re-clone whatever was binned.
    Dull ramble at windowslatest.com/202…on/
  16. Avatar
    amazon.co.uk/Cru…8-2

if you want to use this as backup drive in windows 10/11 asuning you can so this in that aptop

Edited by: "shakey1981" 8th May
Post a comment