SSD for first build

Found 14th May
Putting together my first build. Already have a 2tb 7200rpm seagate. Was looking for an ssd or nvme to put the os at least. Was thinking around 250gb. The crucial mx500 seems decent. Any suggestions? Should I spend a bit more and get say 500gb? Ssd fast enough or should I go nvme? Thanks.
Community Updates
AskSSD
6 Comments
NVMe is a protocol used for PCI-E SSDs, not a different type of device. SSDs also come in PCI-E AHCI and SATA AHCI flavours.

Very few programs wait around for drives so you need a big difference to be noticeable, like the hundred-fold improvement in access times between hard drives and SSDs. As such, when shopping for SSDs the main distinction between models is the company's track record of rectifying faults and general after sales service - and price of course.
SATA is a slow interface that bottle necks some SSDs limiting them to roughly 500-600MBs. Nvme does about 3GBs depending on specs. Huge difference in speed. I'd recommend a samsung 970 evo nvme instead. It's about £188 but very fast. Remember SATA m.2 drives can disable sata ports on your motherboard.
kester762 h, 35 m ago

SATA is a slow interface that bottle necks some SSDs limiting them to …SATA is a slow interface that bottle necks some SSDs limiting them to roughly 500-600MBs. Nvme does about 3GBs depending on specs. Huge difference in speed.

Those are sequential speeds, which are how fast the drive transfers a single large file. It's not something a normal home use drive is called on to do particularly often and consequently not a very meaningful number. If you want to compare speeds numerically I'd be looking at transfer rates for a few dozen and a few hundred kilobytes.

But you do have to bear in mind that because most programs aren't significantly limited by the speed of any SSD even large differences in transfer rates may not result in any actual difference in performance.
Access time makes the biggest difference unless all you do is sit around copy and pasting files. People like to throw around the raw speeds but it's not noticeable for most stuff.
Imagine a 1 to 10 scale. A Slow Hdd is a 1, the fastest hdd is a 2, a slow ssd is a 9 (average current drives a 9.5) and the fastest ssd is a 10, its not that distinguishable when you've already jumped so much.

The access time in most hdd's is around 9ms, pretty much all SSD's are like 0.1ms.

I've jumped around from original sata 1 SSD's to sata 3 SSD's and sure moving files is noticeably faster, general snappy performance on Windows compared to a hdd is all about the same.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 14th May
Save your money 250 is enough - as stated , you won't notice difference between ssd's.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants