Groups

SSD Laptop drive.

Hi all,

My hard drive on my laptop is on its way out. Was thinking of upgrading to an SSD. 250GB should be fine for my needs. Does anyone have any recommendations?

17 Comments

Anything by a major make should do - SandDisk, Intel etc.

I'd say that a Samsung 850 evo would be best mainly because of the warranty provided and the outstanding customer service.

I second the Samsung drive, all around very well rounded

Original Poster

JLA92

I second the Samsung drive, all around very well rounded

​Thanks. The EVO 750 is £20 cheaper. Is there much difference?

markpj777

​Thanks. The EVO 750 is £20 cheaper. Is there much difference?

About £20 That will be fine and a marked improvement on your previous one

Any 120 gb or higher ssd will do

I have put in 4 samsung evo in laptops I would recommend samsung you get good service and the copy software to clone old drive.

m.windowscentral.com/cle…des

Not a recommendation for an SSD, but reinstall windows from scratch on it, don't clone the old hard drive... you will also then benefit from getting rid of all the old chaff you don't use / need on there

I have always liked Sandisk and never had an issue with them.

Been using a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD in my i5 lappy for just over a year with a clean install of Win 10, very fast and no issues. I have a 120 GB Integral SSD in an older Dual Core desktop and the performance gain doesn't seem so impressive. It is quite old though.

zain1

I'd say that a Samsung 850 evo would be best mainly because of the … I'd say that a Samsung 850 evo would be best mainly because of the warranty provided and the outstanding customer service.

From Samsung? When the fault came to light on their previous model, the 840 Evo, did they fix it or offer refunds? Nope. They did update the firmware to provide a partial workaround so it wasn't a disaster, but it's hardly an outstanding response.

Then there was the incident of the Note 7. The first time around it's understandable, but the way that at least one phone caught fire after Samsung had 'fixed' it is unacceptable.

Samsung certainly wouldn't be high on my list for good support right now, and I'd think twice about buying from them at all.

Generally speaking most people aren't doing anything that'll show a difference between SSD models so you are primarily buying based on the ability of the company to support the drive if it goes wrong.

markystarky

Been using a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD in my i5 lappy for just over a … Been using a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD in my i5 lappy for just over a year with a clean install of Win 10, very fast and no issues. I have a 120 GB Integral SSD in an older Dual Core desktop and the performance gain doesn't seem so impressive. It is quite old though.

That would be your desktop not the SSD. I am using both the Samsung EVO 850 and the Integral P and both about the same in performance so why would you pay extra for the Samsung? I wouldn't.

RiverDragon8

That would be your desktop not the SSD. I am using both the Samsung EVO … That would be your desktop not the SSD. I am using both the Samsung EVO 850 and the Integral P and both about the same in performance so why would you pay extra for the Samsung? I wouldn't.

I bought the Samsung first for less than £50 quid (was supposed to be well over £70 at the time).
    The desktop is old and I like messing about with it. I didn't expect the same performance gains hence the purchase of the £25 Integral, the cheapest SSD I could find (thanks HUKD), just to speed it up a bit for something to do. It's only used for downloading anyway...

markystarky

I bought the Samsung first for less than £50 quid (was supposed to be … I bought the Samsung first for less than £50 quid (was supposed to be well over £70 at the time).The desktop is old and I like messing about with it. I didn't expect the same performance gains hence the purchase of the £25 Integral, the cheapest SSD I could find (thanks HUKD), just to speed it up a bit for something to do. It's only used for downloading anyway...

I'm just saying I would buy the Integral P Series SSD over the Samung EVO 850 because you get the same performance but at a cheaper price.

I would go for Samsung SSD. Good drive and the application for cloning has always worked perfectly for me.

I have 3 laptops (i5 4gb win10, i7 8gb win7) with ssd and one (i5 6gb win10) with standard hard drive.
    in terms of boot up speed there is no difference at all on mine, all boot up same time.

next I'd opt for a 2.5 7200rpm 1tb
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1214
      2. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      3. Biscuit addiction1231
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325

See more discussions