SSD - NVME or SATA?

Posted 29th Sep
Anyone able to offer any advice on SSDs? Just a gamer and then casual user on pc. Should I stick to Sata SSD as I have right now? Or should I upgrade to TLC, QLC, SLC, MLC based SSD? (Just curious, what is best for speed and reliability?)

Current great deals on offer and available include those posted by @meherenow and @Brutes :

hotukdeals.com/dea…724

hotukdeals.com/dea…653
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

31 Comments
Hi, First is if you are happy with your current configuration, there's no need to spend extra or go for any upgrades.
However if you think you need more speed then there are few options that allows you to upgrade to some SSDs that would give you extra speed.
Just usurious, what is your current system?
Brutes29/09/2019 17:33

Hi, First is if you are happy with your current configuration, there's no …Hi, First is if you are happy with your current configuration, there's no need to spend extra or go for any upgrades. However if you think you need more speed then there are few options that allows you to upgrade to some SSDs that would give you extra speed. Just usurious, what is your current system?

So my current system (I've purchased some new parts) is:

MSI B450 Carbon AC Pro motherboard which I recently purchase and needs setting up and bios update.
Ryzen 5 3600 which was posted via Amazon Italy. This needs sorting.
Patriot viper steel series 16GB RAM (2x8GB modules) 3600mhz
Samsung S24E390 display running at 1080P 60hz. Yes I know this will be overkill for gaming at 1080p but I love pretty visuals up to max. I'll also look to upgrade this display in time.
Crucial 256GB sata drive
1TB Seagate sata drive
EVGA 1070Ti 8GB GDDR 5 Black edition or something to that extent.

Any advice you could give would be welcomed.
Unless you need faster sequential transfer rates - which neither gaming nor casual use does - then a PCI-E NAND SSD is going to be no advantage.
Fair point and one perspective I had considered. I suspect an upgraded size SSD would do me. The performance gains would be negligible barring loading screen etc.

EndlessWaves29/09/2019 18:15

Unless you need faster sequential transfer rates - which neither gaming …Unless you need faster sequential transfer rates - which neither gaming nor casual use does - then a PCI-E NAND SSD is going to be no advantage.

kwl14729/09/2019 18:41

Fair point and one perspective I had considered. I suspect an upgraded …Fair point and one perspective I had considered. I suspect an upgraded size SSD would do me. The performance gains would be negligible barring loading screen etc.

Larger SSD is a good idea.
NVME is faster, but usually a bit more expensive, one fairly strong solution is a moderate size NVME, with a larger SATA SSD taking the role that used to be played by HDD in SATA SSD / HDD pairings.

SLC - fastest, but capacity limited - these days only found as "SLC cache" to accelerate the other forms.
MLC - 2 bits per cell
TLC - 3 bits per cell
QLC - 4 bits per cell
PLC - 5 bits per cell … coming soon
More bits per cell means better capacity for the price, but a negative impact on speed and endurance.
Also, the very cheap SSD tend to be DRAM-less (or Phison 32MB integrated) - with no DRAM to cache writes and critical structures, performance suffers, more so in some workloads than others.
matth999930/09/2019 02:13

NVME is faster, but usually a bit more expensive, one fairly strong …NVME is faster, but usually a bit more expensive, one fairly strong solution is a moderate size NVME, with a larger SATA SSD taking the role that used to be played by HDD in SATA SSD / HDD pairings.SLC - fastest, but capacity limited - these days only found as "SLC cache" to accelerate the other forms.MLC - 2 bits per cellTLC - 3 bits per cellQLC - 4 bits per cellPLC - 5 bits per cell … coming soonMore bits per cell means better capacity for the price, but a negative impact on speed and endurance.Also, the very cheap SSD tend to be DRAM-less (or Phison 32MB integrated) - with no DRAM to cache writes and critical structures, performance suffers, more so in some workloads than others.

Thanks for breaking that down to me. Appreciate your reply.

This goes some way to explaining why some folks rave about MLC. I've only seen Samsung use it. TLC is probably the good middle ground but having seen previous comments, it occurs to me that I'm unlikely to see any real world benefit from using an M2 NVME SSD.

So as nice as it would be to do the upgrade, it's also going to be expensive.

Going to have to go by pricing. See if there's not some great deals on etc. If there is, great. If not then I'll either keep my current 256gb SSD or upgrade it.
rev630/09/2019 01:33

Larger SSD is a good idea.

Yep most like action I'll be taking, assuming the 256gb isn't really lasting me.
the problem with Sabrent is they are US based company.
If you look at their address, it is from US.
I went on their website couple months ago, I didn't manage to find Europe division & I haven't seen them around other online retailer.
So there is a risk if it breaks within 5 years, it probably need to be sent it back to US for repair.
Cisco06060630/09/2019 09:34

the problem with Sabrent is they are US based company.If you look at their …the problem with Sabrent is they are US based company.If you look at their address, it is from US.I went on their website couple months ago, I didn't manage to find Europe division & I haven't seen them around other online retailer. So there is a risk if it breaks within 5 years, it probably need to be sent it back to US for repair.

Good spot. I didn't notice this.

Risky either way and seems the general consensus on this thread that I'd not see much if any performance gains from it.
Omg I've been wondering this too

Weve in the same mindset
Wait is it since I've been wondering I should should get a regular SSD or a M.2/Nvme (for OS and Gaming)
Edited by: "Norseg" 30th Sep
Norseg30/09/2019 10:43

Omg I've been wondering this too Weve in the same mindsetWait is it since …Omg I've been wondering this too Weve in the same mindsetWait is it since I've been wondering I should should get a regular SSD or a M.2/Nvme (for OS and Gaming)

I don't quite understand?

Yeah I've been umming and arrgghhing between NVME and SATA as I think I need to upgrade my 256gb SSD to 512 at least for some breathing room. As it is, at least for my users, a standard SSD would be perfectly acceptable to use and would probably, most likely save me a few bob compared to an NMVE.

I'm absolute stunned by what Speccy has just told me!? My ram was running at 633mhz. No wonder my pc is struggling...

Upgrade still needed though.
kwl14730/09/2019 11:05

I don't quite understand?Yeah I've been umming and arrgghhing between NVME …I don't quite understand?Yeah I've been umming and arrgghhing between NVME and SATA as I think I need to upgrade my 256gb SSD to 512 at least for some breathing room. As it is, at least for my users, a standard SSD would be perfectly acceptable to use and would probably, most likely save me a few bob compared to an NMVE. I'm absolute stunned by what Speccy has just told me!? My ram was running at 633mhz. No wonder my pc is struggling... Upgrade still needed though.

Who's speccy lol
Yeah that's real bad what should it been running at? If it was DDR3 it would have needed upgrading for DDR4 anyway
Norseg30/09/2019 11:07

Who's speccy lolYeah that's real bad what should it been running at? If it …Who's speccy lolYeah that's real bad what should it been running at? If it was DDR3 it would have needed upgrading for DDR4 anyway

Lmao. Speccy is a great program for looking up your specs in detail. E.g. it tell me the model name/number of my MSI motherboard. Told me temps up to date and also told me my ram speed. Absolutely shocking man.

DDR3 single channel ram. CAS is low on it but at that slow speed, makes no difference. So upgrade was long over due.
Edited by: "kwl147" 30th Sep

I don't quite understand?Yeah I've been umming and arrgghhing between NVME …I don't quite understand?Yeah I've been umming and arrgghhing between NVME and SATA as I think I need to upgrade my 256gb SSD to 512 at least for some breathing room. As it is, at least for my users, a standard SSD would be perfectly acceptable to use and would probably, most likely save me a few bob compared to an NMVE. I'm absolute stunned by what Speccy has just told me!? My ram was running at 633mhz. No wonder my pc is struggling... Upgrade still needed though.

Basically I need an SSD too

Idk if I should buy a regular SSD drive, NVME or Sata

Idk if my Mobo supports NVME it just says M.2 slot
Norseg30/09/2019 11:10

Basically I need an SSD tooIdk if I should buy a regular SSD drive, NVME …Basically I need an SSD tooIdk if I should buy a regular SSD drive, NVME or SataIdk if my Mobo supports NVME it just says M.2

Sata SSD would be best I reckon lol.

Yeah I grasped that you needed an SSD lmao.

Checking out an upgrade...

Crucial MX500: amazon.co.uk/dp/…-21 for £64ish new but available cheaper in the settings...

£58 Aria, same model:
aria.co.uk/Pro…ral

Good reliable, stable drives. I've got the 256GB SSD from a few years ago in my current machine from Crucial.
kwl14730/09/2019 11:09

Lmao. Speccy is a great program for looking up your specs in detail. E.g. …Lmao. Speccy is a great program for looking up your specs in detail. E.g. it tell me the model name/number of my MSI motherboard. Told me temps up to date and also told me my ram speed. Absolutely shocking man.DDR3 single channel ram. CAS is low on it but at that slow speed, makes no difference. So upgrade was long over due.

Well I just watched a video apparently default sets themselves to 1333mhz so you're supposed to go into Bios to get Advertised speed
Norseg30/09/2019 11:10

Basically I need an SSD tooIdk if I should buy a regular SSD drive, NVME …Basically I need an SSD tooIdk if I should buy a regular SSD drive, NVME or SataIdk if my Mobo supports NVME it just says M.2 slot

What I would do is go to

uk.pcpartpicker.com/pro…sd1

Find your motherboard. Look for compatible storage components and you'll find something that'll work. SATA drives are such good value now, can't be wasting money on NVME especially if we're not taxing the PC to need the extra speed.

I'm absolute stunned by what Speccy has just told me!? My ram was running …I'm absolute stunned by what Speccy has just told me!? My ram was running at 633mhz. No wonder my pc is struggling... Upgrade still needed though.

633Mhz is DDR3-1266 which is an odd speed, but not particularly slow. Most later DDR3 systems ran at 667Mhz (DDR3-1333).

And if you're halving your bandwidth by only running a single stick then the difference between bandwidth from those two similar speeds is small in comparison.
kwl14730/09/2019 11:17

What I would do is go …What I would do is go tohttps://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ft8j4D/crucial-mx500-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd1Find your motherboard. Look for compatible storage components and you'll find something that'll work. SATA drives are such good value now, can't be wasting money on NVME especially if we're not taxing the PC to need the extra speed.

Yeah idk if I should just get SSD for just a boot drive and Rust or just get a 1tb and install a lot more games
I've got a lot of games that's why I haven't considered a SSD yet idk if I should
kwl14730/09/2019 11:17

What I would do is go …What I would do is go tohttps://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ft8j4D/crucial-mx500-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd1Find your motherboard. Look for compatible storage components and you'll find something that'll work. SATA drives are such good value now, can't be wasting money on NVME especially if we're not taxing the PC to need the extra speed.

NVME not necessary a waste if you need large size. 1TB Crucial P1 or Intel 660p are at similar price as sata MX500
Norseg30/09/2019 11:21

Yeah idk if I should just get SSD for just a boot drive and Rust or just …Yeah idk if I should just get SSD for just a boot drive and Rust or just get a 1tb and install a lot more games I've got a lot of games that's why I haven't considered a SSD yet idk if I should

get a 500gb of 1tb ssd and install your most played current games to it and a have a hdd for extra storage purposes
ijwia30/09/2019 11:37

get a 500gb of 1tb ssd and install your most played current games to it …get a 500gb of 1tb ssd and install your most played current games to it and a have a hdd for extra storage purposes

500gb of 1tb? Do you mean 500gb or 1tb?
Norseg30/09/2019 11:21

Yeah idk if I should just get SSD for just a boot drive and Rust or just …Yeah idk if I should just get SSD for just a boot drive and Rust or just get a 1tb and install a lot more games I've got a lot of games that's why I haven't considered a SSD yet idk if I should

Tbh 1tb doesn't last for beans. I've barely got a handful of games and I've blown through my 1tb drive. Having to delete files now.

If you use that as the system drive and install games on it, it'll be gone in no time. I suspect that is why most people go with SSD boot drive and then HD for storing and installing games on.
Cisco06060630/09/2019 11:26

NVME not necessary a waste if you need large size. 1TB Crucial P1 or Intel …NVME not necessary a waste if you need large size. 1TB Crucial P1 or Intel 660p are at similar price as sata MX500

Yep I agree but then forking out over a bill for space you may not use?

Food for thought.
ijwia30/09/2019 11:37

get a 500gb of 1tb ssd and install your most played current games to it …get a 500gb of 1tb ssd and install your most played current games to it and a have a hdd for extra storage purposes

Or rather do you mean to partition the SSD into two?
kwl14730/09/2019 12:18

Tbh 1tb doesn't last for beans. I've barely got a handful of games and …Tbh 1tb doesn't last for beans. I've barely got a handful of games and I've blown through my 1tb drive. Having to delete files now. If you use that as the system drive and install games on it, it'll be gone in no time. I suspect that is why most people go with SSD boot drive and then HD for storing and installing games on.

Yeah idk I've got like 3tb regular hdd and I need more so im thinking of getting a new drive anyway

I don't like the whole deleting games thing since im the type of person who will start tons of games at once
Norseg30/09/2019 11:13

Well I just watched a video apparently default sets themselves to 1333mhz …Well I just watched a video apparently default sets themselves to 1333mhz so you're supposed to go into Bios to get Advertised speed

To little too late but I'll wise up to this for the Patriot ram when somehow I get round to it.

I just assumed that it would run at default that speed. What a careless mistake from me smh.
kwl14730/09/2019 12:30

To little too late but I'll wise up to this for the Patriot ram when …To little too late but I'll wise up to this for the Patriot ram when somehow I get round to it. I just assumed that it would run at default that speed. What a careless mistake from me smh.

Yeah I did too but idk how it was that low for you lol
Norseg30/09/2019 12:30

Yeah I did too but idk how it was that low for you lol

Lmao. Who knows man. These computers do some daft things even with AI.
Norseg30/09/2019 12:28

Yeah idk I've got like 3tb regular hdd and I need more so im thinking of …Yeah idk I've got like 3tb regular hdd and I need more so im thinking of getting a new drive anywayI don't like the whole deleting games thing since im the type of person who will start tons of games at once

you could try out games on the hdd find out which your favourites that youll go back to and stick them ones on the ssd

if your wanting the best performance better having them on the ssd as ofcourse theyll load quicker

you could still have installed loads of games most will just be on the hdd

or you could do what most people have been doing for years and have a small ssd for os and apps and hdd for games its just that the ssd are a lot cheaper than they used to be and are about to become the format for games id imagine
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants