SSD prices could spike after Western Digital loses 6.5 billion gigabytes of NAND chips

Posted 11th Feb 2022
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment
9 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Oh any excuse to push up the price....
  2. Avatar
    aLV42612/02/2022 01:21

Oh any excuse to push up the price....

Extremely cynical take on a very basic part of economics, supply and demand...
  3. Avatar
    Narod12/02/2022 01:43

Extremely cynical take on a very basic part of economics, supply and …Extremely cynical take on a very basic part of economics, supply and demand...

There is a conspiracy to be found everywhere and HUKD seems to be becoming worse these days. I blame the moon for the clouds today; the lights had to be kept switched on longer and my electricity bill has again gone up. The Tories must have bribed the moon to do it so that they can pocket the profits.
  4. Avatar
    bozo00712/02/2022 07:06

There is a conspiracy to be found everywhere and HUKD seems to be becoming …There is a conspiracy to be found everywhere and HUKD seems to be becoming worse these days. I blame the moon for the clouds today; the lights had to be kept switched on longer and my electricity bill has again gone up. The Tories must have bribed the moon to do it so that they can pocket the profits.

I think it's more likely an accident or incompetence as it happened in Japan. The Japanese are normally very careful and diligent, almost anal by western standards, when it comes to following rules and regulations.
  5. Avatar
    I'm sure some will take advantage of this though.... I imagine as we speak some companies are stock pilling SSDs in the hope they can sell them in 3 to 6 months time at double the normal rate. Let's see how this pans out.
    Edited by: "spannerzone" 12th Feb
  6. Avatar

Extremely cynical take on a very basic part of economics, supply and …Extremely cynical take on a very basic part of economics, supply and demand...

On the other hand being ignorant doesn't help either. People are animals, in most of the cases you need someone with a stick to control them (see the most recent shortage of toilet paper or fuel).
  7. Avatar
    bozo00712/02/2022 07:06

There is a conspiracy to be found everywhere and HUKD seems to be becoming …There is a conspiracy to be found everywhere and HUKD seems to be becoming worse these days. ...

Short-term memory loss ?
    "DRAM makers sued (yet again) for 'fixing prices' (yet again) of chips"
    theregister.com/201…in/
  8. Avatar

Not really - look at the history, there's always some reason given to an increase in the price, when the raw materials & fabrication don't change. Granted there are many more factors involved, however the profits have been made and the cost of R&D & investment have been recovered, sadly sheep be sheep.
  9. Avatar
    TobyZ12/02/2022 16:56

Short-term memory loss ? "DRAM makers sued (yet again) for 'fixing prices' …Short-term memory loss ? "DRAM makers sued (yet again) for 'fixing prices' (yet again) of chips"https://www.theregister.com/2018/04/30/dram_vendors_sued_again_for_price_fixing_again/

Those are different companies to those involved in this situation, mind.
Post a comment