SSD query on an old laptop

Found 26th Jun
Hi,

I currently have an Acer 5560G ( cnet.com/pro…cs/ ) it's ancient now i've had it for years, but it's been a really good laptop and still runs okay for it's age although when gaming for long periods of time it does turn itself off sometimes

Just wondering if it's it's possible to add an SSD and if so how easy is it and would it make the laptop run a lot quicker?

Or would it be better to just go and buy a new one? ( I only have a budget of about 400)

Thanks
Community Updates
AskLaptopStorage
11 Comments
Have a look at this guide for you laptop mrmemory.co.uk/ssd…60g
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 26th Jun
Yes an SSD or a hybrid hard drive will give it a noticeable boost especially if you are still using the original hard drive from 2012.

Probably worth doing a spring clean on it too to clean out 6 years worth of dust and some new thermal paste. Should stop the random overheating shutdowns. Probably will be a bit quicker too as the fans won't have to run as fast.
I couple of years ago, I fitted an SSD in my FiLs very (something like 8 years) old Dell Latitude E5500 (4x3 screen) Celeron running W7. Its now almost as fast as my XPS

I did it because moving him to an 85 year old to a new PC with W10 was an non starter. I just upgraded his iPad and the niggles with it are endless as small 'enhancements' leave him floundering.

PC manufacturers need to think about the very older generation and their level of comfort with things just as they are.
Thanks everyone I am proper crap with technology so if my laptop makes it through this then it will be a miracle

I am not going near it with thermal paste, that's dangerous!

Will this SSD be sufficient and what else will I need to be able to fit it and make it start working and will I lose everything that's on my HDD including OS? novatech.co.uk/pro…tml
Luciegoose4 m ago

Thanks everyone I am proper crap with technology so if my laptop makes …Thanks everyone I am proper crap with technology so if my laptop makes it through this then it will be a miracleI am not going near it with thermal paste, that's dangerous!Will this SSD be sufficient and what else will I need to be able to fit it and make it start working and will I lose everything that's on my HDD including OS? https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/samsung-860-evo-250gb-solid-state-drive-2-5-inch-retail/mz76e250beu.html#utm_source=tradedoubler&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=2142931_digidip+UK

Considering it's a old laptop I'd recommend the cheapest 250gb ssd you can find
The first poster link only shows a Kingston one and a Samsung one as being compatible and they are about £60 so I'm guessing I will have to go for one of those!
Creatish2 m ago

Considering it's a old laptop I'd recommend the cheapest 250gb ssd you can …Considering it's a old laptop I'd recommend the cheapest 250gb ssd you can find

Luciegoose19 m ago

The first poster link only shows a Kingston one and a Samsung one as being …The first poster link only shows a Kingston one and a Samsung one as being compatible and they are about £60 so I'm guessing I will have to go for one of those!

Nah, that's just a shop page so they're recommending what they sell.

I'd be more inclined to replace a 2011 laptop with a new one, especially if the upgrade to Windows 10 wasn't an option. Security fixes for Windows 7 stop at the end of next year so you'd want to be looking for a new machine at around that time anyway.
Someone else on here couldn't upgrade their acer win7 laptop to win10 (might be an acer thing). If that's the case... time for a new laptop or a different OS.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 26th Jun
RiverDragon844 m ago

Someone else on here couldn't upgrade their acer win7 laptop to win10 …Someone else on here couldn't upgrade their acer win7 laptop to win10 (might be an acer thing). If that's the case... time for a new laptop.

The rather old (obsolescent in fact ) 17" Acer Laptop I'm using at the moment has compatibility issues with Windows 10, I still haven't got around to reinstalling windows 7 though and frankly dislike 10 anyway.

Main problem with this one is its system fan is shared and controlled by the graphics card and requires a modified driver to get it to spin at full speed. I couldn't install one normally, but eventually managed to replace the generic windows 10 driver with a tweaked one that worked on windows 7, unfortunately the fan speed still didn't work, so the cpu can't run at full speed for a prolonged amount of time, and the air vents need vacuuming out rather frequently.

Since then an update dropped support for the graphics card (I did say it was old) and kept installing a low res generic driver that made text unreadable, so I had to keep fixing the driver until I figured out how to block the Windows driver update.
Creatish8 h, 22 m ago

Considering it's a old laptop I'd recommend the cheapest 250gb ssd you can …Considering it's a old laptop I'd recommend the cheapest 250gb ssd you can find

And why exactly?
I got a notification to upgrade to windows 10 a few months ago but I didn't because I had Windows 10 on my Acer Switch and hated it , maybe I should have just upgraded it, oops!

So the consensus is I will need to buy a new laptop at the end of this year as the security updates will force me to?

Or I could try and get windows 10 installed on it, but there are known issues with old Acer's upgrading?
Edited by: "Luciegoose" 27th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants