Groups

SSD question

Hi guys, got an upgrade related question for the laptop storage.

Currently running a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro. It's still quite fast. Provides enough storage. From what I know - on Sata 3 the only faster drive seems to be 850 Pro)

For normal workload - is there any point upgrading it? (or is it better to just wait it out for NVMe laptops to become cheaper?)

4 Comments

I have both, you wouldn't notice any difference

don't worry about NVMe being faster cuz u wont notice it in normal workload.

laws of diminishing return.

getbacker_uk

don't worry about NVMe being faster cuz u wont notice it in normal … don't worry about NVMe being faster cuz u wont notice it in normal workload.laws of diminishing return.

^^^This

so many people are "but mah god the speeeeeddddssss" reality, you won't notice a realistic increase vs what you have (disclaimer before NVMe owners try to yes it will boot/load faster, real world after that is not so much different for cost). Doesn'#t mean i don't want an NVMe, but i'll wait for PCIe 4 to be finalised and boards to come before moving.

unless you are doing hardcore read/write operations (database, video editing etc) you won't really be using the full potential of the drive

Original Poster

corrazy

^^^Thisso many people are "but mah god the speeeeeddddssss" reality, you … ^^^Thisso many people are "but mah god the speeeeeddddssss" reality, you won't notice a realistic increase vs what you have (disclaimer before NVMe owners try to yes it will boot/load faster, real world after that is not so much different for cost). Doesn'#t mean i don't want an NVMe, but i'll wait for PCIe 4 to be finalised and boards to come before moving.unless you are doing hardcore read/write operations (database, video editing etc) you won't really be using the full potential of the drive

Haha one less thing to look forward to - better put the nvme money towards saving.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup35
      2. Need Some Help Connecting An Old Laptop To A New TV23
      3. buy to let mortgage44
      4. mobile phone advice needed please22

See more discussions