Groups

ssd size needed

I have a laptop with normal HDD and CD drive. Needing the HDD for storage but want speed for browsing or others. What is the realistic 'minimal size' of the SSD to make a difference (used in the CD drive space)? No games, no photo/video editing, MANY tabs on chrome browser. SSHD any good? Any suggestion on size and brand? What to look out (first SSD)? Links if possible, thanks.

10 Comments

64gb or 128

If it's for OS I would go for 240GB as you still need hibernation.sys, page file and recovery. Hibernation takes approx 75% of your ramsize. Better to pay a little extra now than bin it later for a bigger drive.

I agree with kester76, unless you are using Linux anything less than 240/250 quickly becomes a hassle to live with.

I've got a 96GB in my laptop (without a HDD), admittedly it's not my main PC but I've never had an issue with Win 7 and Office and a few other basic apps. My main PC has a 128GB SSD for Win 7 + apps then a HDD for everything else, works fine.

My Windows 10 folder alone is 52Gb, I would say 128Gb is a minimum.

If you are using this in the cd drive space i would suggest swapping them round as the cd drive sata port is usually slower which means you wont see a benefit from using an ssd in the cd drive slot.

mannyutd

If you are using this in the cd drive space i would suggest swapping them … If you are using this in the cd drive space i would suggest swapping them round as the cd drive sata port is usually slower which means you wont see a benefit from using an ssd in the cd drive slot.

The main benefit from an SSD is it's responsiveness, not it's peak speeds.

Original Poster

thanks to all. I will be using win7 (dislike win10) any particular brand / transfer rate / buffer size...... should look for? any links at all? also i have only 4GB ram on 32-bit, matter much?

kester76

If it's for OS I would go for 240GB as you still need hibernation.sys, … If it's for OS I would go for 240GB as you still need hibernation.sys, page file and recovery. Hibernation takes approx 75% of your ramsize. Better to pay a little extra now than bin it later for a bigger drive.

Maybe my info is outdated, but I seem to remember that disabling hibernation entirely was recommended for SSDs? Or was that just to save space back when large SSDs were expensive?

Muir

Maybe my info is outdated, but I seem to remember that disabling … Maybe my info is outdated, but I seem to remember that disabling hibernation entirely was recommended for SSDs? Or was that just to save space back when large SSDs were expensive?

I think it was to do with older OS/SSDs/Mobos not being able to come out of hibernation due to bios/low power issues. As for wear and tear you will tend to upgrade to a bigger drive well before this becomes a problem.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.68
      2. Jury service1823
      3. Iphone 7 - What Case?616
      4. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??44

See more discussions