SSD Upgrade

Posted 13th Dec 2019
Hello, I would like to upgrade my existing 256Gb M.2 SSD to a 1Gb

Having looked on line am I confused by the different types.

My motherboard manual states the following is supported:

1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support
But what are NVMe SSD’s – are they a different version again?

Any recommendations for a 1Gb SSD, prefer to be less than £100 although reliability is important. I’m not into gaming.

My present drive is a Crucial, would this brand still be a good choice.

When I replace my drive I will need an enclosure, this will help

with the upgrade and I can also re-use the old drive for backup purposes if needed. Again any recommendations would be gratefully received.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Do you mean 1TB? Also what's your budget and what would you be using the ssd for
Hello Shrekt,
yes I mean 1TB, I shouldn't ask questions when tired.
Mainly use the PC for photo editing, MS Office and surfing with loads of tabs open when researching.
atomick13/12/2019 20:04

Hello Shrekt,yes I mean 1TB, I shouldn't ask questions when tired.Mainly …Hello Shrekt,yes I mean 1TB, I shouldn't ask questions when tired.Mainly use the PC for photo editing, MS Office and surfing with loads of tabs open when researching.

If your motherboard has an m.2 slot

amazon.co.uk/dp/…FQ5
amazon.co.uk/dp/…XR/

Either of these, if not this isn't bad

amazon.co.uk/dp/…B34
Thanks Shrekt, now just got to decide which one to put on my Xmas list.
Any recommendations for an enclosure? There's an offer with the Sabrent drive but even with a 15% discount it seems expensive.
deleted1447778
Shrekt13/12/2019 20:28

If your motherboard has an m.2 …If your motherboard has an m.2 slothttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HR78FQ5https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LGF54XR/Either of these, if not this isn't badhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H5BTB34

What type M.2 slot?

@atomick

Yours does support NVMe, this is what you should go for if you want the latest fastest technology.

There's plenty of guides out there explaining M.2 slot types and SSD Sata, PCIe and PCIe NVMe.
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 13th Dec 2019
PCI-E m.2 drives have been available in two types. AHCI and NVMe. AHCI is also used on SATA drives while all NVMe drives are connected via PCI-E.

PCI-E AHCI drives weren't around long, although there are one or two still available for upgrading older systems (high end laptop PCs like macbooks that went m.2-only early on).

IIRC if your motherboard has a x4 M.2 slot then it's new enough to have been launched after NVMe so it's safe to assume it supports both types of PCI-E drive.
NVME is another name for the PCI-E connected drives, faster but usually more expensive - looks like the price difference has narrowed significantly in recent times.

One problem, many adapters do not support M key only NVME drives - if your previous drive is SATA mode (in Device manager, view by connection, you can tree down to it through SATA controller), then you'd be best to put that in a cheap adapter and use a Linux based USB tool to copy it to the new drive fitted.
Hi EndlessWaves, thanks that just the information I was after.

And also thanks matth9999, that info is really useful as well as I was struggling to find an enclosure that supported the M key, I'll keep looking, I might have more success looking for an adapter.
I now think I have a better understanding of my motherboard and M.2 drives. On further investigation it turns out that my m'board can support both SATA and NVMe and there is presently a Crucial SATA M.2 installed.

If I have read and understood properly NVMe is the faster of the two types.
If I buy a SATA drive will I notice any difference in speed over a NVMe.

Finding a SATA M.2 enclosure to buy would appear a lot easier than a NVMe enclosure.

Sorry for all the questions but trying to make sure I buy the right thing and thanks for advice given.
atomick14/12/2019 19:52

I now think I have a better understanding of my motherboard and M.2 …I now think I have a better understanding of my motherboard and M.2 drives. On further investigation it turns out that my m'board can support both SATA and NVMe and there is presently a Crucial SATA M.2 installed.If I have read and understood properly NVMe is the faster of the two types.If I buy a SATA drive will I notice any difference in speed over a NVMe.Finding a SATA M.2 enclosure to buy would appear a lot easier than a NVMe enclosure.Sorry for all the questions but trying to make sure I buy the right thing and thanks for advice given.

The synthetic numbers are rather different but the real life difference isn't massive and I'd say rather unnoticeable to most
Thanks Shrekt, I'll stick with buying a SATA drive.
There is a fair difference in performance but most applications aren't limited by disk speed once you're up to SSD level, so unless you're running big databases or something there's little or no opportunity to see it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions