Sse engineer broke my cellar stairs

Found 29th Jun
Hi, i had an engineer come out to look at my boiler which is allocated in the cellar. As I took him downstairs he managed to break the bottom two steps of my cellar stairs. After this happened he refused to carry out any checks as it was not safe and recommended I call British Gas instead. Any advice on what I can do regarding the stair situation as now I’m unable to access the stairs.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Any steps that break just because someone walks on them are unsafe and he was correct to refuse to continue.

Get a joiner or carpenter out to investigate and fix.
47 Comments
How exactly did he break the stairs was it normal use or was he doing work near them?
Simple..... get the steps repaired by someone.
No he was just coming down, I think his weight brought the steps down
steve.t1 m ago

Simple..... get the steps repaired by someone.

From who? Any recommendations?
He is insured, take photos and send them to his office of the damage he has done, and ask for restitution.
needmoresleep11 m ago

No he was just coming down, I think his weight brought the steps down

His weight ? The average step can take the weight of 3 adults. I would get a carpenter in to find out what's going on.
mrnehru5 m ago

He is insured, take photos and send them to his office of the damage he …He is insured, take photos and send them to his office of the damage he has done, and ask for restitution.

He actually took photos himself of the steps, as in to prove it’s not safe. But I’ve been using them fine and I’m 5 months pregnant.
kester762 m ago

His weight ? The average step can take the weight of 3 adults. I would get …His weight ? The average step can take the weight of 3 adults. I would get a carpenter in to find out what's going on.

They probably not the most sturdy steps they are quite old
needmoresleep1 m ago

He actually took photos himself of the steps, as in to prove it’s not s …He actually took photos himself of the steps, as in to prove it’s not safe. But I’ve been using them fine and I’m 5 months pregnant.

Did he take a picture after he broke them or before
if he broke them from normal use then they are obviously not fit to use
what if he was carrying soemthing and went through? ofc hes not going to work there!
if you are pregrant then dont use them - get them looked at!

even if blame the guy then you'll need them looked at to see if was his fault or not
Edited by: "brilly" 29th Jun
If they broke during normal use your lucky he did not get hurt on the job. Sounds like you've been lucky they didn't give way whilst you were using them.
needmoresleep5 m ago

It's annoying now but it's probably a blessing in disguise as it could of gone at any point in the future. Glad no one was injured.
Any steps that break just because someone walks on them are unsafe and he was correct to refuse to continue.

Get a joiner or carpenter out to investigate and fix.
get them fixed, you are probably lucky you or someone didnt get hurt, it could get messy if they did hurt themselves, just hope you have good home insurance
needmoresleep16 m ago

mrnehru22 m ago

Did he take a picture after he broke them or before

He took a picture after he broke them.
Can I get them fixed through my home insurance?
I know I’m really grateful he didn’t get hurt. But I think it was a bit of a shock for him as soon as it happened he just refused to do anything else.
needmoresleep23 m ago

Can I get them fixed through my home insurance?

Depends on what coverage you're paying for, but unless you've reason to think they've been compromised somehow (e.g. flooding or leaks) it may just be normal wear and tear.

It's hard to say with no further description than 'broken'. I'm guessing the treads (the flat bit you step on) have become detatched due to the nails rusting or something similar?
EndlessWaves6 m ago

Depends on what coverage you're paying for, but unless you've reason to …Depends on what coverage you're paying for, but unless you've reason to think they've been compromised somehow (e.g. flooding or leaks) it may just be normal wear and tear.It's hard to say with no further description than 'broken'. I'm guessing the treads (the flat bit you step on) have become detatched due to the nails rusting or something similar?

Thank you. I’ll give them a call and see what they say
needmoresleep1 h, 7 m ago

He took a picture after he broke them.

Possible lawsuit on the way. Where there's blame there's a claim.
@needmoresleep

"Hi, i had an engineer come out to look at my boiler which is allocated in the cellar. As I took him downstairs he managed to break the bottom two steps of my cellar stairs. After this happened he refused to carry out any checks as it was not safe and recommended I call British Gas instead. Any advice on what I can do regarding the stair situation as now I’m unable to access the stairs."

Did you call British Gas? Will they attend knowing that a ladder may be needed to complete the descent to your boiler?
123thisisme20 m ago

Possible lawsuit on the way. Where there's blame there's a claim.

Can he really do that? I went down the stairs before him and it didn’t break
fanpages10 m ago

@needmoresleep "Hi, i had an engineer come out to look at my boiler which …@needmoresleep "Hi, i had an engineer come out to look at my boiler which is allocated in the cellar. As I took him downstairs he managed to break the bottom two steps of my cellar stairs. After this happened he refused to carry out any checks as it was not safe and recommended I call British Gas instead. Any advice on what I can do regarding the stair situation as now I’m unable to access the stairs."Did you call British Gas? Will they attend knowing that a ladder may be needed to complete the descent to your boiler?

No I’ve not called them, need the stairs sorted now before I get my boiler checked, pain really.
needmoresleep51 s ago

No I’ve not called them, need the stairs sorted now before I get my boiler …No I’ve not called them, need the stairs sorted now before I get my boiler checked, pain really.

That isn't how I read the response from the first person you called out.
Wouldn't be suprised if he doesnt file a claim.
Not sure why you think your insurance will sort them out?
You will need to cough up for the repair.
fanpages1 m ago

That isn't how I read the response from the first person you called out.

The stairs weren’t an issue then just the boiler now the stairs are an issue
needmoresleep6 m ago

The stairs weren’t an issue then just the boiler now the stairs are an i …The stairs weren’t an issue then just the boiler now the stairs are an issue

Yes, I've read the thread to here.

From your description:

"...After this happened he refused to carry out any checks as it was not safe and recommended I call British Gas instead."

I cannot see the engineer suggesting the stairs need to be fixed before British Gas will attend.
fanpages1 m ago

Yes, I've read the thread to here.From your description:"...After this …Yes, I've read the thread to here.From your description:"...After this happened he refused to carry out any checks as it was not safe and recommended I call British Gas instead."I cannot see the engineer suggesting the stairs need to be fixed before British Gas will attend.

Yeah that’s what he said, but if it was unsafe for him then I can’t call someone else out and put them in danger too
needmoresleep3 m ago

Yeah that’s what he said, but if it was unsafe for him then I can’t call so …Yeah that’s what he said, but if it was unsafe for him then I can’t call someone else out and put them in danger too

If you explain that the last two steps are broken, they may attend prepared with a ladder to complete the descent.

Also offering information about your pregnancy term may help if the representative on the telephone is sympathic to your plight of stairs.
fanpages2 m ago

If you explain that the last two steps are broken, they may attend …If you explain that the last two steps are broken, they may attend prepared with a ladder to complete the descent.Also offering information about your pregnancy term may help if the representative on the telephone is sympathic to your plight of stairs.

I could do, thank you. Will give them a call later.
It's a joiner you need to repair the stairs, if you don't have any freiends who can help. You won't be able to claim on your insurance, you'll have to pay yourself. I would suggest you get them repaired reasonably quickly, and then call your usual boiler service engineer to attend to the boiler. Keep off the stairs yourself too.
The material of onstruction and its physical state are?
You have a photo with a tape measure against the run of stairs?
needmoresleep37 m ago

Yeah that’s what he said, but if it was unsafe for him then I can’t call so …Yeah that’s what he said, but if it was unsafe for him then I can’t call someone else out and put them in danger too

Of course, you can call a professional out as they are insured as an employee. Your duty as occupier is to let the professional know of the risk. The professional then makes his own risk assessment to proceed or not to proceed.
That's why I ask the questions above.

Alternative, you ask someone to:-

1. Repair the stairs permanently or temporarily. It is very easy to make a temporary repair to scale ~2.5m height using ~£50 worth of decking wood or equivalent and some long screws. I made a short run of steps outdoors using treated decking wood nearly 10 years ago for a day's job in moving stuff. It's still good and strong now.

2. Break up the stairs (if it is at risk of further crumbling under weight even after patching it at the bottom, and is in the way of putting a step ladder) and replace with an aluminium ladder temporarily for the boiler work.
Edited by: "splender" 29th Jun
Lucky it broke while he stood on it not you. Was a good safety test. Get it looked at and fixed. General ware and tear
Edited by: "wayners" 29th Jun
Pandamansays1 h, 6 m ago

It's a joiner you need to repair the stairs, if you don't have any …It's a joiner you need to repair the stairs, if you don't have any freiends who can help. You won't be able to claim on your insurance, you'll have to pay yourself. I would suggest you get them repaired reasonably quickly, and then call your usual boiler service engineer to attend to the boiler. Keep off the stairs yourself too.

Any idea how much a new staircase will cost?
needmoresleep2 h, 12 m ago

Can he really do that? I went down the stairs before him and it didn’t b …Can he really do that? I went down the stairs before him and it didn’t break

Yes, he may be injured when he walked away, shock, he couldnt work, who knows as has been said hope your insurance is up to date

get three quotes from joiners hopefully you wont need new stairs, but really stairs shouldnt just break could be other issues, damp causing the wood to rot, wood worm get the experts in.
Edited by: "eslick" 29th Jun
From what the guy said and the fact he took a photo, I would say he's probably going to claim he was injured.
jaketheplumber28 m ago

From what the guy said and the fact he took a photo, I would say he's …From what the guy said and the fact he took a photo, I would say he's probably going to claim he was injured.

Your right! I got a phone call saying the man couldn’t work and was injured from this..
needmoresleep12 m ago

Your right! I got a phone call saying the man couldn’t work and was i …Your right! I got a phone call saying the man couldn’t work and was injured from this..

He may have genuinely injured himself. He would have gone down hard on his feet if the steps gave way. I think you should contact Citizen's Advice Bureau for help if they take this further unless you can afford a solicitor. Am so sorry this has happened to you and him. You don't need this worry and stress whilst being pregnant. Take your own photographs and document everything that happened whilst it is still fresh in your mind. More than anything - HUGS x
needmoresleep2 h, 44 m ago

Any idea how much a new staircase will cost?

The cheapest is to get a ready made or pre-fab staircase, around £200 for the parts plus letter than half a day labour. Then a lower skilled person (not a joiner) can assemble and install.

eBay has secondhand stairs, like a solid oak one, but collection only.
Edited by: "splender" 29th Jun
Why is there 40 responses, when the answer is, phone a joiner and fix the stairs.

Is life always this hard.

And as your pregnant get him to check the remaining steps too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants