SSE Issues

The past week I've been having problems with SSE who provide my gas and electric.
Before Monday, everything was near enough fine, no problems.
Then, Monday morning, someone from SSE came to get a meter reading and do a safety check. A few hours later, I checked my account and noticed my electric, which was in credit, had shot down to less than £10 on credit and Gas has shot up to £41 in debit.
So I phoned them. Finally got through after a 15 minute wait.
While on the phone to them, they tried to tell me I have been using £33 of gas a month. For one thing, my gas is only used for heating the water at the moment, which is only used for two hours a day.
Twice in the past week I have called, both times, different people, they are trying to tell me everything is okay and correct on their end, but it just doesn't add up. I never got anywhere near getting this fixed because the customer service is terrible and i ended up giving up.
Just to put that into perspective. I had to call Npower yesterday about an apparent bill of£33 I owed for gas at my last flat. I phoned them, they told me I had no outstanding debts and to disregard the letter. Fixed in less than 5 minutes.

Had anyone else with SSE had a similar problem?

I'm planning on switching to another supplier as i know I can save money, but want to get this sorted first.

9 Comments

Its likely that previously your gas and electricity usage on your account were estimated but now they are based on actual consumption.

Original Poster

When I moved in I needed to get a new gas metre, so I started on zeroes, so I know exactly what I've used according to that now.

As of yesterday, I've started tracking it. I'm barely using one unit a day.

It will sort itself out when the bill gets generated and you get to see the meter reading used. I never bother with my online account balance.

had there broadband for a week would never go back to them again their 76mbs fibre is worse than normal broadband by plusnet and sky

Your previous monthly payments must have been based on their estimated consumption of your usage and now they have taken actual meter readings they have found that you have used more than they estimated. They then use this information to estimate your future usage for the remainder of your contract and adjust your monthly payments accordingly. So in theory your monthly payments have been adjusted to make up any shortfall and higher usage going forward. If you have requested a refund of any credit on your account this will also affect your future monthly payments. Energy Suppliers work on the swings and roundabouts ethos so the lower Spring/summer usage is balanced out by the higher Autumn/winter usage. If and when you decide to change providers any credit balance outstanding with SSE will be given back to you. It will clearer to understand on a paper bill.
Double check with SSE that you are on their cheapest tariff available as it is penalty free to switch plans within the same supplier.

Original Poster

They get meter readings from me every two or so months, so there shouldn't be much of a deficit.

I am on their standard tariff which doesn't incur any fees when changing supplier.

These things can be complicated. Do you have your previous bills? What do they say regarding meter readings and charges? How do you pay for your gas and electric - monthly direct debit, quarterly or what?
When you say £33 per month of gas is being used then that works out at about £1 per day or 50p per hour for the 2 hours you use per day. How does that sound to you?

Original Poster

CaptCShadow

They get meter readings from me every two or so months, so there … They get meter readings from me every two or so months, so there shouldn't be much of a deficit.I am on their standard tariff which doesn't incur any fees when changing supplier.

​I pay the same amount each month. They won't give me much info on reasons and charges. I asked them if they could give my total gas usage since moving in, in regards to my actual meter reading, they would a always give me something different. They wouldn't detail the charges either.

That sounds a bit more reasonable, but i still don't think it's right. Using £33 of gas over the summer just doesn't sound right.

CaptCShadow

​I pay the same amount each month. They won't give me much info on r … ​I pay the same amount each month. They won't give me much info on reasons and charges. I asked them if they could give my total gas usage since moving in, in regards to my actual meter reading, they would a always give me something different. They wouldn't detail the charges either.That sounds a bit more reasonable, but i still don't think it's right. Using £33 of gas over the summer just doesn't sound right.

I can understand why you want to get all this sorted before you think about switching supplier. It is a poor show that SSE are not helping you very much explaining all this. I suppose you could go down the complaint route which might get you some where, but maybe you have someone near to hand who could assist you? I have no idea how old you are or your family circumstances. Maybe you could visit your Citizens Advice Bureau? More often than not, with matters like this you need someone who can talk matters through with you and clearly SSE are not those people. The correspondents on this site can help up to a point but without all the facts it can be difficult.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Referbed MACBOOK- thoughts?!11
    2. Bed pillow recommendations68
    3. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets1018
    4. I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?912

See more discussions