Staff members on zero hour contracts.............

Found 22nd Nov 2015
I've been told by my bosses that if the workplace is quiet, I've to send staff members home.
Not wanting to be the grim reaper, I'm not happy taken food from staff members mouths.

Looking on the Gov website I found this """"" If you employ full-time or a permanent part-time employees, you cannot send them home without pay just because it’s quiet. If you employ casual staff, you can send them home as long as they have completed the minimum number of hours as defined under their award or agreement."""""""

I'm guessing the law states they can send zero hour contact staff home early or even tell them not to turn up for work.

We can thank the Tories for this nonsense !!
Community Updates
AskMobile Phone
27 Comments
Acas Helpline

Call our Helpline on 0300 123 1100 for free support and advice or to check your workplace policies and practices.
First of all, it's nice to see a manager actually concerned with the wellbeing of their staff so kudos on that. Unfortunately, and someone more informed might correct me but if your staff are signed to zero hour contracts then they have no "minimum number of hours under their award or agreement" that are required to be fulfilled. Again, don't take this as gospel but yeah, that's what it reads like to me.
And we all thought slavery had been abolished.
working in tandem with requirement of a service...my heart bleeds
One of the other problems that I see is that the law protects staff with regards to the minimum rate of pay & some of my staff have to get a taxi to work.
If I was to send them home after say 2-3 hours then they will have worked for less than minimum rate & may even be out of pocket if sending them home after an hour.
You cannot insist they go home if they're contracted to those hours. You can merely ask if they want the day off or to finish early.
Basically, start telling staff there's unlikely to be no overtime.
rubytuesday0203

You cannot insist they go home if they're contracted to those hours. You … You cannot insist they go home if they're contracted to those hours. You can merely ask if they want the day off or to finish early. Basically, start telling staff there's unlikely to be no overtime.

If they have zero hour contracts then they can be sent home from what I'm reading.
are these variable shift workers or fixed hours? if on a flexible rotation scheme not sure that applies
(googling your extract shows australian gov site for me in first instance)
think its more a case of (at best) get the pay but owe hours so next time you do overtime its for free basically

edit: gov.uk/lay…ing

Edited by: "brilly" 22nd Nov 2015
WheresMeNuts

If they have zero hour contracts then they can be sent home from what I'm … If they have zero hour contracts then they can be sent home from what I'm reading.

​Correct. Zero hour means you work when you're needed.
Thank the tories? No thank labour for flooding the country with cheap foreign workers and bumping up the benefits to an unsustainable amount. Tories are getting the blame for trying to sort the mess out created by labour.

I vote neither by the way
Going to be harsh (as normal). If you are their manager/supervisor then doing what your bosses tell you is part of your job and if you don't want to be the bearer of bad news then perhaps the bosses should find someone who doesn't have that problem.
123batman321

Thank the tories? No thank labour for flooding the country with cheap … Thank the tories? No thank labour for flooding the country with cheap foreign workers and bumping up the benefits to an unsustainable amount. Tories are getting the blame for trying to sort the mess out created by labour. I vote neither by the way

The Tories have been using labour for years now for the state of the country.When do we decide to start blaming the Tories ?

mclovin9091

Going to be harsh (as normal). If you are their manager/supervisor then … Going to be harsh (as normal). If you are their manager/supervisor then doing what your bosses tell you is part of your job and if you don't want to be the bearer of bad news then perhaps the bosses should find someone who doesn't have that problem.

Can you show me the post that said I won't send people home ?
Being a manager does not mean your happy with a decision you have to do, so not sure what your point is.
"We can thank the Tories for this nonsense !!"

Zero hours contracts were started under labour, but I can see why no one would imagine that it would be anyone else but the tories.

I refrain from shopping anywhere I know that uses these contracts.
Edited by: "scottswaha" 22nd Nov 2015
kudos to you
hate the tories too but this isn't exclusively their fault - it gained traction during the new tory government of blair and co
in defence of zero hour contracts, it does work well for some of my colleagues (who do shift work) or students, but it's been abused to death (almost literally in the case of sports direct and their archaic practices)
sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. it's nice that you're looking out for your workers, as a more weak-willed person would serve their own best interest and jump when big boss says jump. just be careful that they don't remove you in favour of someone who does comply wholly. so the best thing i would suggest is to read up what you can and get whatever info possible to support their case, and 'leave' it in the staff break room, or have an informal chat with someone friendly and get them to spark their own revolution.

i saw one of these dispatches undercover investigations where people turned up for work at 7am to find out whether they were working, or got sent home in the middle of the shift - either way, you get paid a lot less and yet pay the same for travel (and journey time is still as long). can't remember whether it was a technically legal abuse of the system or an outright flouting of rules though. either way, it's extremely immoral given that the people are probably taking home a pittance each week (let me guess - not more than 20p above minimum wage, no guarantee of work and lucky to do 20 hours a week sometimes. families at home suffering with the unforeseeable inconsistency.).
123batman321

Thank the tories? No thank labour for flooding the country with cheap … Thank the tories? No thank labour for flooding the country with cheap foreign workers and bumping up the benefits to an unsustainable amount. Tories are getting the blame for trying to sort the mess out created by labour. I vote neither by the way

would you like a purple sash to go with that view
(just joking!!)
scottswaha

"We can thank the Tories for this nonsense !!"Zero hours contracts were … "We can thank the Tories for this nonsense !!"Zero hours contracts were started under labour, but I can see why no one would imagine that it would be anyone else but the tories.I refrain from shopping anywhere I know that uses these contracts.

My understanding was that it's the Tories that started the zero hour contracts & also stopped free legal aid & this only helps the employers.
WheresMeNuts

Can you show me the post that said I won't send people home ?Being a … Can you show me the post that said I won't send people home ?Being a manager does not mean your happy with a decision you have to do, so not sure what your point is.

"Not wanting to be the grim reaper" suggests otherwise.

As you say you don't need to be happy with what you are doing but you need to do it never the less. A good manager finds the best solution to the problem.

In this case (i take it, it is a retail store), could the staff be utilised elsewhere? i.e promoting the store, restocking the shelves, tidying the back room.
mclovin9091

"Not wanting to be the grim reaper" suggests otherwise.As you say you … "Not wanting to be the grim reaper" suggests otherwise.As you say you don't need to be happy with what you are doing but you need to do it never the less. A good manager finds the best solution to the problem.In this case (i take it, it is a retail store), could the staff be utilised elsewhere? i.e promoting the store, restocking the shelves, tidying the back room.

It's catering at a private golf club & as you can imagine, it does get quiet in the winter.I'm obviously going to tell them it's a half day etc if need be,but was just wanting more info as managers can give you false information as well ;-)
Not much scope then for evening parties then the old codgers will have the AGM, a Christmas dinner and maybe a new year party but that'll be about it. Maybe get into gravedigging for the winter months, plenty of open space on a golf course, then again being a private club they'll have money and be able to put the heating on.

let's hope the staff get a better job elsewhere if they can't earn enough at your place.
I can't really see how you can blaming a political party, it's your employer that's to blame. Just because zero hour contracts exist doesn't mean you have to use them, especially if you have any morals or ethics.
123batman321

The 'cheap' hard working foreigner. I wish the unskilled of this country would stop using them as an excuse. Better yourself, make yourself more valuable and better skilled.
http://i.imgur.com/zOmqwy1.jpg
I really do empathise with the situation that you find yourself in. Unfortunately, some managers have no morals whatsoever and they go through life walking over people. I don't know how they sleep at night.
came across this recently and apparently there is no legal recognition of "zero" hour contracts. the law defines employment in a very different light and employers use the term "zero hour" in a blatent attempt to confuse the ignorant masses.
Be very careful here and get any instructions on this from your employer in writing so you cannot be madea scapegoat if the poo hits the fan.
From what I have worked in the past under zero hour, if work is dead quiet u can be sent home or called and told not to attend work. Those that are on x amount of hours have to fulfill their contracted hours. It's not ideal sadly but if ur told to send people home or not to come in its the guys on the no hour contracts that will be the ones hit. Tbf I did it for a couple of months before I bagged a proper contract. Difficult for you but business is money and if you don't play ball by your bosses they might reevaluate you yourself. If you wanna be a better boss aim to get the zeros onto contracted hours. Where I was it was a case of zero then if ur a good worker you got a 4hour and bumped up over time. Depending on needs of the business. Acas can give u advice if needed as they are an employment right organisation
why are people still harping on about zero hours contracts?

does it not fall under short time working?
gov.uk/lay…ing
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants