Stag do question?

Found 26th JunEdited by:"machomansavage"
Been on stag dos many of times but recently last two have been the stags paying for the groom. While I can see sense in this as you're invited to their big day and they're paying for your food. The other part of me thinks you're paying for their stag\hen and going to buying them a wedding gift too

What's your thoughts and experiences?
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Stag don't then.
Weddings are funny things.

I opted out of one abroad as I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle and embarrassment of most of the people going throwing up all over and possibly causing havoc. That really isn’t my thing.

The wedding...

Then to be told that I would have to get to a hotel that is a pain to get to and pay 140 quid per night (they wanted me to stay multiple night with everyone!) then to be told on the last minute that kids aren’t allowed so I’m not going on my own and thought balls to it!
Edited by: "karlypants" 26th Jun
karlypants6 m ago

Weddings are funny things.I opted out of one abroad as I couldn’t be b …Weddings are funny things.I opted out of one abroad as I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle and embarrassment of most of the people going throwing up all over and possibly causing havoc. That really isn’t my thing.Then to be told that I would have to get to a hotel that is a pain to get to and pay 140 quid per night (they wanted me to stay multiple night with everyone!) then to be told on the last minute that kids aren’t allowed so I’m not going on my own and thought balls to it!

So did u all pay for the groom or not?
The groom doesn’t pay for his own stag do oh my gosh! Quite simply if friends won’t cough up to pay for the groom they ain’t real friends or there single people that are envious or just tight!! Every single wedding I’ve been to including my own the Groom pays for nothing!! Stag do shirts drinks food the lot!! Wolfpack Baby!!
ASongOfFireAndIce23 m ago

The groom doesn’t pay for his own stag do oh my gosh! Quite simply if f …The groom doesn’t pay for his own stag do oh my gosh! Quite simply if friends won’t cough up to pay for the groom they ain’t real friends or there single people that are envious or just tight!! Every single wedding I’ve been to including my own the Groom pays for nothing!! Stag do shirts drinks food the lot!! Wolfpack Baby!!

Thanks for this, so you pay for the grooms holiday and the wedding gift?... Seems like paying for guests food is a cheap day for the groom and bride then. Nothing to do with real friends paying for you, it also depends on the people's finial circumstances. I've never bought friends
Edited by: "machomansavage" 26th Jun
Erm. Pay for the stag. Why would you not? Usually if you’ve enough friends it’s only a £20-30 more.

He’ll be paying for his decision to get married for the rest of his life, may as well get one last freebie in 😜
carlsaunders13 m ago

Erm. Pay for the stag. Why would you not? Usually if you’ve enough f …Erm. Pay for the stag. Why would you not? Usually if you’ve enough friends it’s only a £20-30 more. He’ll be paying for his decision to get married for the rest of his life, may as well get one last freebie in 😜

No, not saying I'm not more than happy too, just second time this has happened. Like I said the groom is getting all of it back paying his side and expected to get a wedding gift by people attending. So works out great for the marrying couple. I always thought it was one or the other
carlsaunders14 m ago

Erm. Pay for the stag. Why would you not? Usually if you’ve enough f …Erm. Pay for the stag. Why would you not? Usually if you’ve enough friends it’s only a £20-30 more. He’ll be paying for his decision to get married for the rest of his life, may as well get one last freebie in 😜

Not at all, this is HUKD so thought this would be a great platform to ask on. And loving the end comment
machomansavage5 m ago

No, not saying I'm not more than happy too, just second time this has …No, not saying I'm not more than happy too, just second time this has happened. Like I said the groom is getting all of it back paying his side and expected to get a wedding gift by people attending. So works out great for the marrying couple. I always thought it was one or the other

Yeah I do hear what your saying, times have changed. I’m glad to a degree my last few stags have only been in the UK. Going abroad bumps the cost up loads. I organised one last year as I was a best man. Asked £25 extra from everyone to pay for the stag. Was had around 15 of us so wasn’t a massive burden and had more than enough to cover 2 nights and activities for the groom. I organised through an online company and chatted to them before. Said that’s the normal approach now.
machomansavage13 m ago

Thanks for this, so you pay for the grooms holiday and the wedding …Thanks for this, so you pay for the grooms holiday and the wedding gift?... Seems like paying for guests food is a cheap day for the groom and bride then

It’s not a holiday it’s a stag do it’s a celebration of a “freind” getting wed. Home or away! And yeah also a present! And if you think them just paying for food for YOU is all there paying for your mistaken! Have you been married do you know the costs? And anyway cost has nothing to do with it -true friendship costs nothing but this is once in a lifetime for some. We do it for our friends because that’s what they are! Oh and for the record we paid for our wedding all by ourselves!!
carlsaunders112 m ago

Thank god somebody agrees with me that’s exactly how it worked out for us! Lots of people all chip and makes it cheap!
ASongOfFireAndIce8 m ago

It’s not a holiday it’s a stag do it’s a celebration of a “freind” getting …It’s not a holiday it’s a stag do it’s a celebration of a “freind” getting wed. Home or away! And yeah also a present! And if you think them just paying for food for YOU is all there paying for your mistaken! Have you been married do you know the costs? And anyway cost has nothing to do with it -true friendship costs nothing but this is once in a lifetime for some. We do it for our friends because that’s what they are! Oh and for the record we paid for our wedding all by ourselves!!

A bit hypocritical aren't you? In your last comment u said "if friends won't cough up and pay they're not real friends" and now you're saying "cost has nothing to do with friendship"
Ask for a refund plus your gifts back when they inevitably get divorced
Been on LOTS of stag do's and never actually paid for the groom in saying that most grooms have never really paid for a thing once we've got there as it just tends to work out that way and we'll all chip in for outfits etc. for the groom.
machomansavage53 m ago

No, not saying I'm not more than happy too, just second time this has …No, not saying I'm not more than happy too, just second time this has happened. Like I said the groom is getting all of it back paying his side and expected to get a wedding gift by people attending. So works out great for the marrying couple. I always thought it was one or the other

You clearly aren't happy too otherwise you wouldn't have asked.
Skaman26th Jun

Been on LOTS of stag do's and never actually paid for the groom in saying …Been on LOTS of stag do's and never actually paid for the groom in saying that most grooms have never really paid for a thing once we've got there as it just tends to work out that way and we'll all chip in for outfits etc. for the groom.

This is exactly what I've done on the other three too. This is why I created this thread
machomansavage1 h, 40 m ago

So did u all pay for the groom or not?

No I didn’t and why should I tbh?

Just to be clear, the second paragraph in my post is about the wedding.
Edited by: "karlypants" 26th Jun
I would feel awkward about my mates paying for everything. I guess it would different if it was a surprise but most people plan this all out in advance. I would say getting free drinks is more the norm where I come from but some people take it to the extreme and sometimes dangerous levels.
I never for a second expected my mates to pay for my stag. Nor did they expect me to pay on theirs.
Maybe it’s just me but I like to dip my hand in my pocket and treat others. I normally do that all the time rather than wait for a hopefully one time event. Though I would probably end up buy additional rounds etc.
kester767 m ago

I would feel awkward about my mates paying for everything. I guess it …I would feel awkward about my mates paying for everything. I guess it would different if it was a surprise but most people plan this all out in advance. I would say getting free drinks is more the norm where I come from but some people take it to the extreme and sometimes dangerous levels.

Agree! Totally
machomansavage5 m ago

Totally agree. I think it's just unfair to assume everyone is in the same …Totally agree. I think it's just unfair to assume everyone is in the same financial boat. Some people are single and some people have families. So I am a little annoyed the best man assumed we all would and hid it within the cost of the total price

It’s a bit like being out for a meal. I’m always happy to split the bill evenly. However if I know anyone is driving or a little short I have no issues with going Dutch.
In saying that it wouldn’t be the first time I just pay their meal. If I felt like it. I do weird things like that sometimes. I even gave the staff in Maplins on a he last day £20 to go buy lunch for the core staff.
IamMT2 h, 27 m ago

Stag don't then.

Exactly don’t go!
ASongOfFireAndIce26 m ago

Exactly don’t go!

Reply to the reply I sent u about being a hypocrite. I don't understand u at all. Course I'm going to go. Want complaining was asking and seems a lot of other people haven't paid for the groom
ASongOfFireAndIce32 m ago

Exactly don’t go!

I am going. If you read my post I'm not complaining about it just didn't understand it. Anyway you never answered my hypocritical thing I asked you? Why did you contradict yourself?
Never paid for the groom other than, chipping in for dwarf/stripper/lap dancer/hooker and drinks.

After the recent trend of week long trips to Ibiza, I was very pleased to hear my mate announce his stag do would consist of Drinks, Curry, More drinks, go home.
I've been a best man twice and on both occasions the groom has been the first person to cough up the cash for any activities. Both are very good friends of mine (known both for over 25 years) and I was gonna pay for them myself. They wouldn't hear of it, so in the end we all just covered their drinks etc.
They both insisted on paying their own way where food was concerned as well.
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, I think it's just what works best for the individuals and the group as a whole. For both, there was no foreign trip, just a weekend away at different locations, so the extra cost wouldn't have been excessive anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions