Stairlift

Found 15th Jun
hi,

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice on a stairlift being mis-sold?

The company used wouldn't hold off processing an order less than 24hrs after receiving a cheque for a deposit. Measurements hadn't even had been taken and yet my in-laws were subsequently told that they would be liable for the full amount of the order even if they cancelled.

The company was an authorised Stannah dealer, and when I spoke with Stannah they didn't seem to answer any questions directly, instead try to dispute that any conversations had taken place with the dealer.

The stairlift (curved) has only been used maybe 6 times, as my father in law was terminal and in and out of hospitals receiving end of life care.

Any help with regulations or directions to turn would be appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
I'd suggest contacting either/both Citizens Advice and/or Trading Standards.

I'd imaging that this was a solicited sale - i.e. the company was invited to give a quote and hence I believe your rights to cancel are less than if it had been unsolicited.

This is worth a read - note the frequency of issues regarding disability aids! it is certainly a cowboy industry! citizensadvice.org.uk/Glo…pdf

Good luck!
Van197315th Jun

I'd suggest contacting either/both Citizens Advice and/or Trading …I'd suggest contacting either/both Citizens Advice and/or Trading Standards. I'd imaging that this was a solicited sale - i.e. the company was invited to give a quote and hence I believe your rights to cancel are less than if it had been unsolicited.This is worth a read - note the frequency of issues regarding disability aids! it is certainly a cowboy industry! https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/corporate/can-you-cancel-it-final.pdfGood luck!

Thanks, I will look into this. As for being unsolicited, it was one of his carers that had passed on their details to the firm.
Sadly I would imagine that as its been fitted and used it may be a little too late, but hopefully I am wrong and their will be some action you can take. If at least create a ****storm on their social media.

Seriously crap sale tactics, I caught a big chain window salesman, giving my mother a quote for 6.5k for a new door, he didnt realise I was listening in from the kitchen, where I was fixing her washing machine. I then introduced myself and removed him from my mothers house and told him what would happen if he ever returned and tried to scam my mother.

Local firm called in and new door for £700, I don't mind companies making a profit, but thats just milking the vulnerable and I find it despicable.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 15th Jun
It sounds like they quoted for something, took payment/deposit and then installed it. It’s hardly been used but that’s not their fault.

Sounds like their sales might have been off but you could have refused them entry to install it.

DKLS1 h, 25 m ago

Sadly I would imagine that as its been fitted and used it may be a little …Sadly I would imagine that as its been fitted and used it may be a little too late, but hopefully I am wrong and their will be some action you can take. If at least create a ****storm on their social media.Seriously crap sale tactics, I caught a big chain window salesman, giving my mother a quote for 6.5k for a new door, he didnt realise I was listening in from the kitchen, where I was fixing her washing machine. I then introduced myself and removed him from my mothers house and told him what would happen if he ever returned and tried to scam my mother. Local firm called in and new door for £700, I don't mind companies making a profit, but thats just milking the vulnerable and I find it despicable.

£700 sounds expensive to me if it’s a standard UPVC door, doors here fitted are from £450 via accredited installers (maybe the south west is just cheaper).
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 15th Jun
I am assuming that as they had been told that they were liable for the full amount, that they thought they had no choice but to accept it. I just feel like that for a salesman to exploit a situation that was blatantly not suitable given the minimal life expectancy... I just feel disgusted for my mother in law, as she is now struggling to pay for the funeral.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions