Expired

Stamp duty paid, now recieving letters saying not

Found 28th Mar 2014
looking for a bit of advice.
recieved stamp duty letter. brought a house in january.
got a letter in january so rang solicitors they rang hmrc and confirmed it had been paid.
one month after recieved another letter saying stamp duty hasnt been paid. and interest has been charged.
rang solicitors AGAIN they confirmed who they spoke to and what time and that they have no found the payment and going to reference it to us. and quoted that to ignore letters there automatically sent.
so today got another letter stating the ammount and that they are now sending it to the collector of taxes. I have paid the money to solicitors. anyone been in this position that could help?
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskCall of Duty
30 Comments
and solicitors are adoment that they have paid it
Not been in the position, but get as much proof as you can that the solicitors paid this amount, if you have proof let the HMRC do their thing, these letters are probably all automatically sent out so wont be accurate, as soon as a human being gets the case, they will sort it out for you.
yeah thats kinda what the solicitor said . and seems legit that shes told me what office she spoke to exactly what time and the persons name. I assume the collector of taxes means debt collectors
she said she spoke to them on the 12th of march and said that they are referencing it to me. then the most recent letter is dated the 17th. could this be automatically generated in that time and sent ?
i had same happen to us with last house purchase solicitor says its quite common and not to worry he showed us a copy of cheque sent and paperwork called them and we heard nothing else.
did you ever get to the point they said they where doing a collector of taxes
12alex04

did you ever get to the point they said they where doing a collector of … did you ever get to the point they said they where doing a collector of taxes

no just 3 letters but obviously solicitor got it sorted as havent heard anymore,you will have your bill breakdown aswell showing its been paid.
yeah ive had two letters requesting money then the third saying about collector of taxes
Where did you bring it from?
shauneco:
what do you mean
So the solicitors have phoned them and have supposedly sorted it out but why do you not just phone them too to confirm instead of ignoring the letters and then asking on here?
not ignoring the letters. they said they had sorted it. after 2nd letter.
office hours are half 8 to 5. I got the etter at 7 today. so how am I supposed to ring. just wanted to know.if anyonr had the same thing. looking for advice
I do conveyancing and we do SDLT Returns online and send payment via BACs. If stamp duty hasn't been paid a letter is automatically generated from HM Revenue and interest of £4 charged. Your solicitors will have received the same letter and since they obtained the money from you and made payment of the same it is up to them to prove it has been paid and sort it out. There's not a lot you can do except say well my solicitor says... if it was my client I would be writing with proof to get the matter resolved.
12alex04

shauneco:what do you mean

Brought = Bring

Bought = Buy
so what did HMRC say when YOU rang them?
shauneco

Brought = Bring Bought = Buy

received too

not normally a pedant but op continually spelt it wrong so not a typo
Correcting spelling = get a life
tily thanks for your reply.
chocci.
did you not read what I put.
the solicitor said they where sorting it. which I thought they would. and I couldnt ring hmrc today because they where shut so was looking for advice. if you havent got any dont comment
cheers
LtfdTony

Correcting spelling = get a life

Not correcting spelling = get an education
oh get on your high horse because I miss spelled a few things.. wow..
who are you to criticise someone!
12alex04

chocci.did you not read what I put.the solicitor said they where sorting … chocci.did you not read what I put.the solicitor said they where sorting it. which I thought they would. and I couldnt ring hmrc today because they where shut so was looking for advice. if you havent got any dont commentcheers

HMRC have been shut since january? LOL
read what I said once again. solicitors said they had sorted it..
12alex04

read what I said once again. solicitors said they had sorted it..

doesnt stop you ringing them though to get their position
doesnt stop me thinking I paid the solicitors to do it so they should of
12alex04

should have
12alex04

What help are you actually expecting on here?? Just ask your solicitors to show you proof they've paid it - if they have then you have nothing to worry about?
12alex04

chocci.did you not read what I put.the solicitor said they where sorting … chocci.did you not read what I put.the solicitor said they where sorting it. which I thought they would. and I couldnt ring hmrc today because they where shut so was looking for advice. if you havent got any dont commentcheers

*were
Best thing to do is to get the reference number or what ever it is from your solicitor and give HMRC a call youself. It's your responsibility to pay the taxes even if the solicitor is the middle man.

With things like this is always better to pay things directly yourself and not rely on third parties. This way you know what you've paid, as at the end of the day it's your money.

Worst case scenario is the solicitor pocketed the money or mixed up their admin
shauneco

Brought = Bring Bought = Buy

You really shouldn't take the pi** unless you are sh*t hot at spelling/grammar yourself!!

I know you can sometimes have a problem with certain words so there really is no need for the smart comments!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants