Groups
    EXPIRED

Stamp Prices

The price of a first-class stamp is to increase by 2p to 36p from next April, while second-class stamps will go up by 3p to 27p, the Royal Mail has announced.

The postal organisation said stamp prices will still be among the lowest in Europe even after the increases come into effect.

Stamped mail makes a loss of around 6p per letter or packet - a total of £178 million last year - and it will continue to be loss-making, said the Royal Mail.

Luisa Fulci, Royal Mail's director of commercial pricing and policy, said: "For many years profits from business mail have funded stamped mail losses - but it's getting harder all the time to maintain that subsidy as competition for business mail from rivals, electronic communications and the wider communications market is increasing while mail volumes fall."

Business customers who use franking machines will continue to get a discount against the price of a stamp.

A franked, standard first-class letter will increase by 2p from 32p to 34p in April, while a standard second-class franked letter will rise 2p from 22p to 24p, increasing the discount for second-class franked mail discount from 2p to 3p.

For the first time, medium-sized businesses will get discounts on volume, so the more they post, the lower their postage bill will be, said the Royal Mail.

Postal watchdog Postwatch said: "The increase in stamp prices is above the level of inflation which we are not happy about, but the rise was expected."

Taken from extras.uk.msn.com/mon…612

10 Comments

Robbing gits - higher price same carp service.
    Wish there was a decent alternative!!

BargainQueenNo1;4332897

Robbing gits - higher price same carp service.Wish there was a decent … Robbing gits - higher price same carp service.Wish there was a decent alternative!!

Really? You drop a letter into a postbox at 5pm on Monday evening, it is collected, sorted, potentially sent from Kent to Newcastle or further, resorted and usually hand delivered by Tuesday morning. Not two items are likely to be alike. All for 34 pence! You can't even buy a chocolate bar for that.

pghstochaj;4332973

Really? You drop a letter into a postbox at 5pm on Monday evening, it is … Really? You drop a letter into a postbox at 5pm on Monday evening, it is collected, sorted, potentially sent from Kent to Newcastle or further, resorted and usually hand delivered by Tuesday morning. Not two items are likely to be alike. All for 34 pence! You can't even buy a chocolate bar for that.

well said :thumbsup:

BargainQueenNo1;4332897

Robbing gits - higher price same carp service.Wish there was a decent … Robbing gits - higher price same carp service.Wish there was a decent alternative!!

no other business could do what the royal mail do..

I hate to break this to you but those were April 2008 price increases!!!! The price of 1st and 2nd class stamps will each increase by 3p on 6th April 2009 to 39p and 30p respectively. :whistling:

Check the date the article was posted:

20 December 2007 14:53:16

Yeah I do aggree that for letters they do a reasonable job but the amount of items & letters that go missing I think is unacceptable. Sorry!

BargainQueenNo1;4333451

Yeah I do aggree that for letters they do a reasonable job but the amount … Yeah I do aggree that for letters they do a reasonable job but the amount of items & letters that go missing I think is unacceptable. Sorry!

percentage wise (considering the volumes they handle) the amount lost or damaged comes out lower than any courier. I worked in management in this sector
    :thumbsup:

BargainQueenNo1;4333451

Yeah I do aggree that for letters they do a reasonable job but the amount … Yeah I do aggree that for letters they do a reasonable job but the amount of items & letters that go missing I think is unacceptable. Sorry!

It's usually the sender's fault, though. I've done christmas work for the RM in the past, and I've seen for myself the kind of junk that people send through. I wonder what percentage of those "lost" letters are simply letters without full or usabe addresses, or are letters sent in such bad shape or condition that the machines simply obliterate them. Some people don't even bother putting the destination town on, nevermind the postcode. How's the royal mail meant to be able to deliver an item when the sender hasn't bothered defining where it's to be delivered to?

dxx;4333656

It's usually the sender's fault, though. I've done christmas work for the … It's usually the sender's fault, though. I've done christmas work for the RM in the past, and I've seen for myself the kind of junk that people send through. I wonder what percentage of those "lost" letters are simply letters without full or usabe addresses, or are letters sent in such bad shape or condition that the machines simply obliterate them. Some people don't even bother putting the destination town on, nevermind the postcode. How's the royal mail meant to be able to deliver an item when the sender hasn't bothered defining where it's to be delivered to?

used to see several hundred birthday cards every day with a stamp on and just a persons first name :w00t: these will eventually have to be destroyed, meanwhile the person who sent it will be moaning away that it got 'lost' not realising they didnt address it.....

not forgetting that a hell of a lot of postal vans get robbed during deliveries also..and the amount of mail destoyed by yobs setting fire to post boxes you would not believe :-(
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions