Star Trek - 2009 Out Now - (edited) (Not long now)

Found 4th May 2009
**edit** After watching the 2 hour movie **edit**

Well just watched it.... I'll give it 9/10 Well worth the 2 hours....

I'm not one for spoilers so I wont give anything away, very entertaining as a Star Trek fan...

Even if your not into Trek, It's a good Sci Fi movie, story is good and effects are pretty good too...

Good to see where all the crew originated from.... Just a pity William Shantner never got a look in after all these years....

-----------------------------

Not be long now people !

Phazer set to stun and ready at the Helm lol

New Nokia 5800 (Star Trek ordered too lol)

gsmarena.com/nok…php

Did not realise that Leonard Nimoy's Spock plays a pivotal role in the film, and in a way bridges the franchise from the original series to the new film version. He also has delivery of my most favorite line in the film..

So there you go....

L8r

maxmix

PS Yes.... sad I know !

ITS NOT SAD ANYONE SAYING SO WILL BE CHOMPED and maybe nibbled if female
- raptorcigs

STAR TREK >>>>> STAR WARS
and we all know it
- grex9101

56 Comments

Banned

I'm with you my man

Im So Exited Oooooeeeeee And I Just Can't Hide It No No No No No No Im About To Loose Controle And I Think I Like It Tea Yeea!

RAPPY IS A FAN OF THE TREK

i've been a trekker all my life but i'm dreading the new film, i've seen some extended scenes and i'm afraid that star trek 90210 isn't my cup of tea, this is to star trek what the phantom menace and clone wars is to star wars IMHO

Banned

wolf359;5113185

i've been a trekker all my life but i'm dreading the new film, i've seen … i've been a trekker all my life but i'm dreading the new film, i've seen some extended scenes and i'm afraid that star trek 90210 isn't my cup of tea, this is to star trek what the phantom menace and clone wars is to star wars IMHO

judging a film on some extended scenes = shame on you , you have to treat this like any of the other spin off series and films as a seperate entity set in the star trek universe

went to the preview screening last tuesday in glasgow-it is an absolutely brilliant film!

not certain whether the die hard "purists" will like it but its a superb rebooting of the franchise and the action sequences are mind blowing. the beauty of it is that you dont need to know anything about star trek to enjoy it but those who do will get some very good insights into the early days on earth of some of the characters.

Banned

wolf359;5113185

i've been a trekker all my life but i'm dreading the new film, i've seen … i've been a trekker all my life but i'm dreading the new film, i've seen some extended scenes and i'm afraid that star trek 90210 isn't my cup of tea, this is to star trek what the phantom menace and clone wars is to star wars IMHO

Which is probably why it will do quite well. To be fair, Star Trek has been rubbish for years.

it will do well IF it persuades non-trek fans to buy tickets. if it fails in that its gonna fail big time. the majority of trek fans are dreading it. BTW its not a reboot. not in the BSG sense of the word. this is supposed to be the same Kirk et al that we know from the last 4 decades. its just different because of temporal meddling. its meant to be trek for the OC generation and not the OTH generation in the same maner that clone wars is not for SW fans. paramount tried the same with "enterprise" and that died on its **** because trekkers hated it and non-trek fans couldn't get past the trek name. this stands more chance because its creators aren't trekked out in the same way as Rick Berman and Brannon Bragga were. from what i've heard you're more likely to like it if you prefer Star Wars to Star Trek

Banned

wolf359;5114369

it will do well IF it persuades non-trek fans to buy tickets. if it fails … it will do well IF it persuades non-trek fans to buy tickets. if it fails in that its gonna fail big time. the majority of trek fans are dreading it. BTW its not a reboot. not in the BSG sense of the word. this is supposed to be the same Kirk et al that we know from the last 4 decades. its just different because of temporal meddling. its meant to be trek for the OC generation and not the OTH generation in the same maner that clone wars is not for SW fans. paramount tried the same with "enterprise" and that died on its **** because trekkers hated it and non-trek fans couldn't get past the trek name. this stands more chance because its creators aren't trekked out in the same way as Rick Berman and Brannon Bragga were. from what i've heard you're more likely to like it if you prefer Star Wars to Star Trek

I think labelling it as '90210' or 'OC-esque' is grossly unfair. They're supposed to be a few years out of the academy so I don't think the casting is inappropriate or even 'stun-casting'. They probably could have gone far more teen-beauty queen if they had wanted. Don't hate them because they're good looking.

you're reading me wrong. i'm not labelling it as 90210 or OC'esque because they're good looking. i like eye candy as much as the next man. i'm labelling it as such after seeing some of the extended scenes. btw they're not supposed to be out of the academy, in the main they're just getting into the academy, which in itself is as issue as they're much too old to be cadets. they're playing too much with the treklore for my tastes. if this was a complete reboot a la BSG then fine, but its not. its supposed to be the same characters before we've seen them previously. Enterprise was the same. they changed everything, denied they had made changes then spent the last season furiously trying to explain away all the changes and reverse them.

they want to have their cake and to eat it too. they want existing trek fans to watch it but also need to attract newcomers. but if they change too much (and it appears that they have) then they lose the former and if they don't change it enough they won't get the latter. the middle ground is very narrow and treacherous, its a tightrope and lets hope they dont fall

Original Poster

Well ! Anyone been yet ? I see it's on Rapidshare already lol (Crap copy though)

I'll not make it to Glasgow to see it until next week :x

maxmix

maxmix;5161272

Well ! Anyone been yet ? I see it's on Rapidshare already lol (Crap copy … Well ! Anyone been yet ? I see it's on Rapidshare already lol (Crap copy though)I'll not make it to Glasgow to see it until next week :xmaxmix

You may as well see it at the IMAX my man, well worth it.

Does anyone else think we should see a new series along the lines of TNG/DS9/Voyager?

Miss Trek on TV sooo much :x

Original Poster

Voyager was my Fav, well became my all time Fav when Jeri Ryan entered the Scene....

Git her autograph a few times now :-)

Good ol 7 of 9....

maxmix

maxmix;5161340

Voyager was my Fav, well became my all time Fav when Jeri Ryan entered … Voyager was my Fav, well became my all time Fav when Jeri Ryan entered the Scene....Git her autograph a few times now :-)Good ol 7 of 9....maxmix

mmm, All 3 have their high points, I used to hate DS9, but series 5 onwards (when worf joined) was awesome....

Original Poster

Worf aint got a look in..... 'Drool to this day' lol

http://jeriryanfan.com/photo_gallery/studio_pics/jeriryan_01.jpg

maxmix

maxmix;5161368

Worf aint got a look in..... 'Drool to this day' lolmaxmix

Yep, she'd get it.

More so if she was in full 7 of 9 getup..........

:oops::-D

grex9101;5161389

Yep, she'd get it.More so if she was in full 7 of 9 … Yep, she'd get it.More so if she was in full 7 of 9 getup..........:oops::-D

before she started investigating human emotions or after? Or would you like to be the trial (Harry Kim)
I use to love star trek, hardly watch it anymore though. But new film looks wicked. And ive enjoyed all the star treks, the first couple of seasons of DS9 were a bit crud, i was like 'explorating strange new worlds?' nope were going to sit here outside a wormhole!
Even Enterprise isnt that bad, although never got into it as much.

awoodhall2003;5161403

before she started investigating human emotions or after? Or would you … before she started investigating human emotions or after? Or would you like to be the trial (Harry Kim)I use to love star trek, hardly watch it anymore though. But new film looks wicked. And ive enjoyed all the star treks, the first couple of seasons of DS9 were a bit crud, i was like 'explorating strange new worlds?' nope were going to sit here outside a wormhole!Even Enterprise isnt that bad, although never got into it as much.

Dude, Enterprise sucks ass... SRSLY :x

as for 7 of 9, don't really care as long as she's naked, and "tidy" down there, lol .

Oh dear, I've had too much beer :oops::-D:?

Has anybody seen it yet? Is it worth going to see or downloading?

grex9101;5161418

Dude, Enterprise sucks ass... SRSLY :xas for 7 of 9, don't really care as … Dude, Enterprise sucks ass... SRSLY :xas for 7 of 9, don't really care as long as she's naked, and "tidy" down there, lol .Oh dear, I've had too much beer :oops::-D:?

HAHA! nah see i didnt think Enterprise was too bad...then again only watched the first few episodes...maybe i never saw its entire carp!

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5161437

Has anybody seen it yet? Is it worth going to see or downloading?

im not a big cinema goer...as i love my home kit more, and normally get more bass, more food, spend less money, can have it louder.

But this film I AM GOING TO CINEMA WITHOUT A DOUBT!

awoodhall2003;5161443

im not a big cinema goer...as i love my home kit more, and normally get … im not a big cinema goer...as i love my home kit more, and normally get more bass, more food, spend less money, can have it louder.But this film I AM GOING TO CINEMA WITHOUT A DOUBT!

Just downloading it now, will have a quick gander and see if I'll go see it at cinema.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5161478

Just downloading it now, will have a quick gander and see if I'll go see … Just downloading it now, will have a quick gander and see if I'll go see it at cinema.:thumbsup:

lol Well I could not resist.... Resistance is futile :whistling:

The Avi is 709MB I now have it, so going to watch it b4 bed.... Review l8r

Then big screen next week...

BTW Can we talk here about d/l this stuff ?

maxmix

maxmix;5161506

lol Well I could not resist.... Resistance is futile :whistling:The Avi … lol Well I could not resist.... Resistance is futile :whistling:The Avi is 709MB I now have it, so going to watch it b4 bed.... Review l8rThen big screen next week...BTW Can we talk here about d/l this stuff ?maxmix

Yes not fantastic looking on a 42" plasma, think I'll watch it on the lappy tomorrow.

Yes you can talk just not link to it.

Watched this tonight was a cracking film. More then I expected.

I would find a decent copy if your going to download or pay for a cinema ticket. Really fun packed film.

Original Poster

Well just watched it.... I'll give it 9/10 Well worth the 2 hours....

I'm not one for spoilers so I wont give anything away, very entertaining as a Star Trek fan...

Even if your not into Trek, It's a good Sci Fi movie, story is good and effects are pretty good too...

Good to see where all the crew originated from.... Just a pity William Shantner never got a look in after all these years....

maxmix

Banned

wolf359;5113185

LOL... I can tell by your username you're a big fan! :thumbsup:

I've only seen one small clip (that was shown on Jonathon Ross) and didnt like what I saw either. However, it won't put me off watching the whole film and I'm hoping it will be a goodun.

Banned

went last night and was top draw.. two hours seemed like ten mins , cant wait for the next one..

Banned

Wow sylar from 'Heroes' is spock, just realised when I watched the trailer

Excited now, woohoo

Banned

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5161478

Just downloading it now, will have a quick gander and see if I'll go see … Just downloading it now, will have a quick gander and see if I'll go see it at cinema.:thumbsup:

The film's got universally good reviews and a lot of people worked hard on it so why bother downloading it?

Banned

watched it yesterday and all i will say is AWESOME love spock he without a doubt makes the film

Saw it last night at the cinema with a few friends. I'm not a huge fan of recent Sci-Fi films and know nothing about the Star Trek universe, so suprise suprise, I didn't like it. I enjoyed the pre-title sequence and thought there was some potential here, but it turned out not to be the case. Story made no sense, the face painted villain was weak, everybody's acting was wooden apart from the people who were over 40, the humour was quite good, but I suspect for hardcore fans there was a bit too much of it and the only good action scene was the one on the bottom of that drill thing (yes, I finally understood what that was towards the end of the film!) were they had a fight. CGI wasn't that special either, apart from the drill effects, and there was too much going on in the space battles - less is more in some case's. Boooooooooring - had more fun playing with my ice cream spoon than watching the film.

starsparkle2311;5161965

Fingers crossed I may be going tomorrow, I can't wait:thumbsup:

Peggs awesome in it when hes introduced. Funny as.:thumbsup:

Banned

Rhys135;5162645

Saw it last night at the cinema with a few friends. I'm not a huge fan … Saw it last night at the cinema with a few friends. I'm not a huge fan of recent Sci-Fi films and know nothing about the Star Trek universe, so suprise suprise, I didn't like it. I enjoyed the pre-title sequence and thought there was some potential here, but it turned out not to be the case. Story made no sense, the face painted villain was weak, everybody's acting was wooden apart from the people who were over 40, the humour was quite good, but I suspect for hardcore fans there was a bit too much of it and the only good action scene was the one on the bottom of that drill thing (yes, I finally understood what that was towards the end of the film!) were they had a fight. CGI wasn't that special either, apart from the drill effects, and there was too much going on in the space battles - less is more in some case's. Boooooooooring - had more fun playing with my ice cream spoon than watching the film.

well not everyone is going to like it and this would put you firmly in the minority against virtualy every film critic and revue out there but each to there own i guess

Did anyone else hear a watch ticking when Spock came on the screen?

Top Movie. Saw it Thu on the big screen.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;5162014

The film's got universally good reviews and a lot of people worked hard … The film's got universally good reviews and a lot of people worked hard on it so why bother downloading it?

If you are going to take the moral high ground I trust you've never watched a pirate film or have any dodgy mp3s? Film makers always spend lots of money and work hard on their work. Why is Star Trek anything different?

Think you would have been better saying it sounds like a good film that would be so much more enjoyable on a big screen. (But I guess that wouldn't have been so controversial and get the response you wanted!

BTW - I just watched it....... Loved it. But big flaw in the storyline. How they going to explain away Vulcan!!!!

guv;5169554

If you are going to take the moral high ground I trust you've never … If you are going to take the moral high ground I trust you've never watched a pirate film or have any dodgy mp3s? Film makers always spend lots of money and work hard on their work. Why is Star Trek anything different?Think you would have been better saying it sounds like a good film that would be so much more enjoyable on a big screen. (But I guess that wouldn't have been so controversial and get the response you wanted!BTW - I just watched it....... Loved it. But big flaw in the storyline. How they going to explain away Vulcan!!!!

Cheers guv.

To the poster above. (not you guv.:))
Yes I have downloaded it and watched about 10 mins and it seems good and well worth a trip to the cinema which I will do next week. So they will get there box office money so don't worry. What if I didn't see any of it and went to the cinema and I thought it was rubbish, would they give me my money back? No. So I have downloaded a copy (thats not that good TBF) to evaluate it. If I hadn't had a gander to see if I like it I may well have not gone to the cinema to see it which would of lost them revenue. So in essence its work out well for everybody.:)

Banned

guv;5169554

If you are going to take the moral high ground I trust you've never … If you are going to take the moral high ground I trust you've never watched a pirate film or have any dodgy mp3s? Film makers always spend lots of money and work hard on their work. Why is Star Trek anything different?Think you would have been better saying it sounds like a good film that would be so much more enjoyable on a big screen. (But I guess that wouldn't have been so controversial and get the response you wanted!BTW - I just watched it....... Loved it. But big flaw in the storyline. How they going to explain away Vulcan!!!!

In my youth I did. I actually realise now that it actually has direct impact on the people who work in the industry, and other tertiary industries.

I now couldn't in good conscience do that. Star Trek isn't any different. I go to the cinema a lot and I'll take a punt on films I haven't heard anything about - Star Trek though has got great reviews across the board.

Of course a film like this is going to be better on the big screen, but to me that's besides the point. It's not a moral high ground thing, it's just my moral compass would make me enjoy the film less if I watched it dishonestly. If your's doesn't that's your bag.

My mate went to the cinema and he's 24 and he think's he's hard. I lol'd so hard, what a loser! Its Star Trek!!!

Banned

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5169572

Cheers guv.To the poster above. (not you guv.:))Yes I have downloaded it … Cheers guv.To the poster above. (not you guv.:))Yes I have downloaded it and watched about 10 mins and it seems good and well worth a trip to the cinema which I will do next week. So they will get there box office money so don't worry. What if I didn't see any of it and went to the cinema and I thought it was rubbish, would they give me my money back? No. So I have downloaded a copy (thats not that good TBF) to evaluate it. If I hadn't had a gander to see if I like it I may well have not gone to the cinema to see it which would of lost them revenue. So in essence its work out well for everybody.:)

One wonders how the cinema survived before people watched the film to make sure it was worth it.

For me, that's part of the cinema experience. You go with friends to see a film you may have seen a trailer for or read a few reviews about and you evaluate it there. In the bar after you can rag on it or you can share in having seen a surprisingly good film.

It's a bit cold and clinical to have to go to the cinema safe in the knowledge that you're not going to have your frail sensibilities upset - the bad film gave me a boo boo.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7891479
    2. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA1655
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226652
    4. Anyone else bored of video gaming1118

See more discussions