Starling vs Metrobank vs Curve Card

Posted 2nd Aug 2019
Quick Question.

Which of the 3 cards, (of which I have all 3), would you say would be the best for overseas spending?
Thanks

• 1. Starling
  • 2. Metrobank
  • 3. Curve
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
The first two are bank accounts while Curve is a front end for your existing cards. Starling is better amongst these in my experience - no non sterling charges globally whereas Metro is only in Europe.
None of them . Get a Halifax Clarity card - long term reliability (no teaser rates ) , free overseas cash withdrawals at the nearly perfect interbank rate . And as an added bonus £20 cashback if you get one now and use abroad within 90 days .

Always remember to pay off your cash advances by internet banking as soon as possible (preferably same day ) or you could be hit by a few pence in interest .
deleted90213902/08/2019 19:56

None of them . Get a Halifax Clarity card - long term reliability (no …None of them . Get a Halifax Clarity card - long term reliability (no teaser rates ) , free overseas cash withdrawals at the nearly perfect interbank rate . And as an added bonus £20 cashback if you get one now and use abroad within 90 days .Always remember to pay off your cash advances by internet banking as soon as possible (preferably same day ) or you could be hit by a few pence in interest .

Metrobank in EU is spot on and no credit card to worry about.
Edited by: "fearona" 2nd Aug 2019
fearona02/08/2019 20:30

Metrobank in EU is spot on and no credit card to worry about.

But judging by the collapse in Metrobank's share price recently - maybe plenty to worry about re Metrobank ? Think I'll stay conservative and old fashioned and stick with Clarity . And I don't worry about credit cards as I just spend with them (to take advantage of the safeguards ) then pay them off before any interest is accrued - as we all should .
Edited by: "rogparki" 2nd Aug 2019
deleted90213902/08/2019 20:42

But judging by the collapse in Metrobank's share price recently - maybe …But judging by the collapse in Metrobank's share price recently - maybe plenty to worry about re Metrobank ? Think I'll stay conservative and old fashioned and stick with Clarity . And I don't worry about credit cards as I just spend with them (to take advantage of the safeguards ) then pay them off before any interest is accrued - as we all should .

But its all covered ok so no worry.
Starling rate not all that.....go with Halifax honey moon over for them I believe....and better rate on interbank.
Revolut just seems easier all round tbh
deleted152303202/08/2019 22:49

Starling rate not all that.....go with Halifax honey moon over for them I …Starling rate not all that.....go with Halifax honey moon over for them I believe....and better rate on interbank.

I can't getthe Halifax Clarity, so I'm stuck with the ones I've listed.

None of them . Get a Halifax Clarity card - long term reliability (no …None of them . Get a Halifax Clarity card - long term reliability (no teaser rates ) , free overseas cash withdrawals at the nearly perfect interbank rate . And as an added bonus £20 cashback if you get one now and use abroad within 90 days .Always remember to pay off your cash advances by internet banking as soon as possible (preferably same day ) or you could be hit by a few pence in interest .

From your post, I’ve just applied for a Clarity Card in my husbands name thinking we’d get the opportunity in the application process to add me as an additional card holder, but no. It says you can apply for an additional card holder on their website, but I’m having trouble locating that bit.
Would you mind having a quick look and seeing where do we apply for the additional card.
Thanks
TT
Monzo is pretty good aswell
@rogparki did you see my above message at all?
Toptrumpet03/08/2019 20:38

@rogparki did you see my above message at all?

I just have the card ,so I can't get into the application part of the site to check it out . As Halifax do this £20 cashback promotion most of the time it could be best for you to get one in one name (then collect the £20 cashback ) then apply again in the other name to get another £20 cashback in a few months time .
deleted90213903/08/2019 21:02

I just have the card ,so I can't get into the application part of the site …I just have the card ,so I can't get into the application part of the site to check it out . As Halifax do this £20 cashback promotion most of the time it could be best for you to get one in one name (then collect the £20 cashback ) then apply again in the other name to get another £20 cashback in a few months time .

Good idea, I didn’t think of that. Thanks for taking the time out to reply.

Both the Clarity and Staring using the Mastercard rate so there shouldn't be any difference.

The only issue with using the Clarity for cash withdrawals is that you start paying interest on the withdrawn cash the moment you withdraw it. To prevent this you have to use online banking and transfer money onto your card daily.

As Starling is a current account you don't have to worry about this.

For cash withdrawals abroad Starling is the better of the two but I'd recommend getting both cards. You don't want to be abroad and depending on one card in case something happens to it. I've had both for a few years now and highly recommend them.
Edited by: "Enginair" 4th Aug 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants