Starting a PC build (Used an iMac for the last 5 years)

Found 4th Feb
Hi guys,

So my trusty old iMac finally gave in, and I’ve been pricing up a replacement and can’t justify what you get for the price. I am a fan of Apple products but with uni (design related course) being far in the past, I think it’s best I move over to a PC.

I’m looking to build a decent gaming setup, but after using an iMac I have no idea where to start. I’m looking to build it over a 3 month period give or take, with a budget of ~£1000 - £1500 (lump sum not an option). Is anyone willing to share their process of buying? I’m of starting with a good motherboard and going from there, but I have a lot of reading up to do on comparability etc.

Thanks!
Community Updates
12 Comments
Buy what you need. 99% of people buy motherboards that have features they will never use like highend overclocking and sli/crossfire . Same with Cpus and memory. You buy a lot of 2nd hand power for a few hundred but people just go nuts and build rgb graphics cards for running office.
Edited by: "kester76" 4th Feb
Motherboards are pretty dull these days.

I would start from the outside and work in. Pick the sort of screen you'd like and have a look at cases and decide what sort of size and design you'd prefer.

The stuff on the inside can be filled in as appropriate.
uk.pcpartpicker.com/

As Endless says, start with the case. That site will match compatibilities. Think about the PSU if your buying a lot of parts to attach but things like DVD drive are not essential nowadays (says the guy who bought a floppy drive on his first PC build because he thought every PC needed one )
Command = CTRL
Option = ALT

That's my MAC to Windows conversion knowledge done
Original Poster
Thanks guys! I must admit, I am fighting the urge to buy more than I need. I’m thinking 1070 graphics card, 16gb ram (maybe another 16gb stick for adobe programs). I’m still not up to date with CPU’s and have a lot of comparing to do. I am a 1080 GPU dreamer but the price is just insane...
Edited by: "LukeCTI" 4th Feb
It's been 3 years since I built my workstation but that's how I built it. I'm deffo not an expert in this field but then again it's not rocket science. Just start with a budget, pick a case and PSU and add from there according to your budget and requirements. I'm not clued up on the latest specs but it's near time for me to build another (maybe 3-6 months). Remember to check Quidco/ TCB if your purchasing, every little helps! Oh and get an SSD to run your OS off, money well spent.
Original Poster
GlentoranMark2 m ago

It's been 3 years since I built my workstation but that's how I built it. …It's been 3 years since I built my workstation but that's how I built it. I'm deffo not an expert in this field but then again it's not rocket science. Just start with a budget, pick a case and PSU and add from there according to your budget and requirements. I'm not clued up on the latest specs but it's near time for me to build another (maybe 3-6 months). Remember to check Quidco/ TCB if your purchasing, every little helps! Oh and get an SSD to run your OS off, money well spent.

Thanks! These comments are helping a lot.
One quick point I'd add is that if you can't do a single lump sum, at least try to do two. That would enable you to put your first chunk of money into giving you a functioning high-end PC, and your second chunk into the non-essentials, like a mechanical harddrive, a GPU, and, if you're particularly strapped for cash in the early stages, a chassis. If you can't afford to build a functioning pc in the initial outlay, just wait.
And if your on a tight budget, consider Gumtree for things like the case and PSU. Although I've never bought from there (only a 2nd monitor once) I see some real bargains as people upgrade all the time. If you can aquisition anything from an old PC it would also help, maybe even freecycle for an old PC case.
GlentoranMark2 h, 43 m ago

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/As Endless says, start with the case. That …https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/As Endless says, start with the case. That site will match compatibilities.

Just bear in mind PCPartPicker often has gaps in it's component listings. It's a useful tool for roughing out costs but wouldn't rely on it for choosing stuff.
Just grab an i5-8xxx CPU, they're essentially the new i7 processors with 6 cores. 1070s are over-priced now. I would buy a GPU last. Or you could just grab a 1050Ti for now and upgrade when the gpu market improves.
Graphics card prices are crazy, DDR4 RAM prices are crazy - not sure if they are heading for worse or better.

The platform choices really come down to the 8th gen Intel (i5-8xxx) on a 300-chipset motherboard (LGA1151 Coffee Lake)
Or the AMD Ryzen - both of which are DDR4 RAM platforms
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants