Starting today, you'll be able to make free voice calls from your Amazon Echo to other Alexa users

Amazon says you’ll import your phone number upon setting up the service, however, and that you’ll be able to see which of your Echo-using contacts has the calling feature enabled within the Alexa app.

As far as privacy goes, Amazon says it won’t store or have access to the content of any voice calls made over the service. Similar to other VoIP services, though, it will store your voice messages in the cloud; an Amazon rep says that’s done to help its voice message transcription service and “make the product better.”

The voice calling feature had been rumored for months, but it stands to make the Echo more useful for those who’ve invested in the product. Previous studies have found that most Echo owners mainly use the smart speakers for simpler tasks, as digital assistants like Alexa are still at a nascent stage in their development.

Amazon is far and away the leader in the voice-enabled speaker market, according to a recent eMarketer study. That market is only expected to grow as time rolls on and competition expands.

7 Comments

Very fancy.

The more I see of technology, the more I feel I should be wearing a tin foil hat.

Cheers OP , interesting bit of info

The more I see of technology, the more I feel I should be wearing a tin … The more I see of technology, the more I feel I should be wearing a tin foil hat.

^this
why would you want this in your life/home ffs ?

thanks. good to know.

Good feature, but no one else i know has an echo
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Find out how good your GP surgery is11
    2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio710
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764220
    4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1625

See more discussions