Starting up my own business

Posted 17th Aug
Hello everyone,
I am not sure if it is a right place to ask this but I thought some people might share their own experiences and knowledge. So, I have a strong passion for healthy cooking and baking at home most of my friends and families enjoy my cooking too; I also studied Human Nutrition.

Since I completed my degree I am thinking of setting up my own business like selling freshly squeezed juice which I make a lot at home and simple snacks. although I have been reading a lot and watching plenty of youbtube videos about setting up small business I haven't got much out of it. So, can anyone advise or share their experiences of setting up a small new business and how to go about it? or where I should look for mentoring?
thanks
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
Starting a new business generally - marketing is crucial and often done badly.

Who are your customers/what is your route to those customers/how will you sell/how will you package

Who are your suppliers/ how will you buy

How do you maintain quality and continuity of supply

pricing - what will the market bear/what do you need/what do the sales routes extract

Is there actually a space for you in the marketplace?

then practical stuff
What do you need in terms of hygene training/building/equipment

Wasnt there a tv program following the innocent start up? iirc it glossed over a lot of their advantages (existing wealth and contacts) but would be worth finding
Edited by: "mas99" 17th Aug
financial backing
where do you see your business? like a small kiosk at a train station for example?
mutley117/08/2020 15:54

where do you see your business? like a small kiosk at a train station for …where do you see your business? like a small kiosk at a train station for example?

To be honest I don't see myself in a shop/cafe setting in the near future. The reason being it requires lots of money and I am not there yet.
What I have in mind is
- starting small selling locally for people who know me well and possibly spread the word or make myself known.
- set up a tent, table or van I am not sure how it works but I assume it's less costly than shop.
Then progress from that and hopefully I might be in a better financial position as well as establishing more customers.
This is what I have in mind might not be the right route to start.
Edited by: "Mahlet_Sisay" 17th Aug
mas9917/08/2020 15:32

Starting a new business generally - marketing is crucial and often done …Starting a new business generally - marketing is crucial and often done badly.Who are your customers/what is your route to those customers/how will you sell/how will you packageWho are your suppliers/ how will you buyHow do you maintain quality and continuity of supplypricing - what will the market bear/what do you need/what do the sales routes extractIs there actually a space for you in the marketplace?then practical stuff What do you need in terms of hygene training/building/equipmentWasnt there a tv program following the innocent start up? iirc it glossed over a lot of their advantages (existing wealth and contacts) but would be worth finding

Thanks, this are all the questions that has to be explored to establish a stable business.
Mendoza17/08/2020 15:39

financial backing

Definitely finance is an issue. Especially, when setting up a new business requires the whole focus and attention to success.
Thank you .
Here's website about setting up market stalls which might be an idea for you startups.co.uk/gui…ll/ good luck
Good luck OP

"healthy cooking and baking" is all very well but
Bacon
Mahlet_Sisay17/08/2020 16:18

Definitely finance is an issue. Especially, when setting up a new business …Definitely finance is an issue. Especially, when setting up a new business requires the whole focus and attention to success.Thank you .

get in touch with your local chamber of commerce, or you may find a less formal group of local business men and women. To begin with sounds as if you going to be relying on supplying existing outlets. Remember some of them will understandably want a cut - very rare if you could find someone to stock your products for free.

You will also need at least some form of hygiene licence and maybe more - talk to your local authority.
when I was a lad, we used to have this mobile shop that came round.

this could be an option? :/
With the greatest respect selling to friends and family is not a 'small business'.

I personally think there is room in the market place for healthy food options.

How about approaching independent local cafes, coffee shops or any suitable establishment to see if they would be interested in stocking your products. I am unsure of the health & safety aspect of things like this, but it shouldn't be too hard to research.

To get your foot in the door in this manner perhaps consider sale or return on goods that have a reasonable shelf life if wrapped correctly. There's risk involved, but in the overall scheme of things, it's tiny.

The 1st comment here covers many aspects of what is required.
Mahlet_Sisay17/08/2020 16:11

To be honest I don't see myself in a shop/cafe setting in the near future. …To be honest I don't see myself in a shop/cafe setting in the near future. The reason being it requires lots of money and I am not there yet. What I have in mind is - starting small selling locally for people who know me well and possibly spread the word or make myself known.- set up a tent, table or van I am not sure how it works but I assume it's less costly than shop.Then progress from that and hopefully I might be in a better financial position as well as establishing more customers. This is what I have in mind might not be the right route to start.

you can certainly sell to people you know but i think you would need a food licence? you can rent a stall at a market. you can buy or rent a van that sells food. you would have to look at the cost and work out any profit. i would think the food stall in a market would be cheaper than the van.

i think it is a difficult business to make money from. i saw a news article that said the people selling food from their homes were not licenced and so customers were at risk. i think there is a loophole where you don't need a food licence if you are selling directly from your home.

i think on that article, the people were selling indian takeaways through ubereat i think.
Starting a business in food items is a lot harder, local health authorities have to be involved to check your hygiene etc and have inspections.
Setting up as self employed is as easy as going on government website and applying.
Then however you need insurance, any utensils, stock etc, and funding all those is where you could start running into issues.
Understand your numbers.
Turnover is Vanity.
Profit is Sanity.
Go and speak to your bank's Small Business Advisor - lots of free advice and common sense talking!
Wongy11017/08/2020 16:30

Good luck OP "healthy cooking and baking" is all very well but Bacon …Good luck OP "healthy cooking and baking" is all very well but Bacon

😁😁
tardytortoise17/08/2020 16:42

get in touch with your local chamber of commerce, or you may find a less …get in touch with your local chamber of commerce, or you may find a less formal group of local business men and women. To begin with sounds as if you going to be relying on supplying existing outlets. Remember some of them will understandably want a cut - very rare if you could find someone to stock your products for free. You will also need at least some form of hygiene licence and maybe more - talk to your local authority.

Thank you very much I found my local one has some helpful information there.
Thank you very much.
Mendoza17/08/2020 16:42

when I was a lad, we used to have this mobile shop that came round.this …when I was a lad, we used to have this mobile shop that came round.this could be an option? :/

Yes, something like that for a start. I also believe bieng mobile have it's benefit of reaching out to customers too.
OllieSt17/08/2020 16:45

With the greatest respect selling to friends and family is not a 'small …With the greatest respect selling to friends and family is not a 'small business'. I personally think there is room in the market place for healthy food options. How about approaching independent local cafes, coffee shops or any suitable establishment to see if they would be interested in stocking your products. I am unsure of the health & safety aspect of things like this, but it shouldn't be too hard to research. To get your foot in the door in this manner perhaps consider sale or return on goods that have a reasonable shelf life if wrapped correctly. There's risk involved, but in the overall scheme of things, it's tiny.The 1st comment here covers many aspects of what is required.

Thanks for your reply. When I mentioned selling for friends and families it was like for a starter to build up the business and grow customers number and introduce my products.
What you said about approaching local independent café and coffee shops to see if they're interested in stoking products for me is very helpful . I never thought it works this way so thank you very much I will give it a go.
mutley117/08/2020 17:19

you can certainly sell to people you know but i think you would need a …you can certainly sell to people you know but i think you would need a food licence? you can rent a stall at a market. you can buy or rent a van that sells food. you would have to look at the cost and work out any profit. i would think the food stall in a market would be cheaper than the van.i think it is a difficult business to make money from. i saw a news article that said the people selling food from their homes were not licenced and so customers were at risk. i think there is a loophole where you don't need a food licence if you are selling directly from your home.i think on that article, the people were selling indian takeaways through ubereat i think.

Yes, I saw a documentary about people selling home cooked food from home and advertising it on Facebook. They have food hygiene certificate and are inspected by the council but I can't remember anything about licence and insurance. I will find out more about it.
Thanks
First step is decide in exactly nwha5 you want too sell, and do a bit if reasearch see if anyone is already doing same stuff locally and what the prices are and. Have you decided in what your prices will be.

My partner set up a similar thing selling home made food there is alot of paperwork and stuff involved. But don't worry too much about local authority inspection they are very nice they just come check your property that it's good in terms of health safety and hygiene.

She considered markets but it's more costly in the end we had a Facebook page had a few banners made went too 2 3 small local funfair type event's and gave out leaflets at these events put a market in 2 3 times a few months apart just for the advertisement. Going too markets takes up quite a bit if finance as you need spend money on keep food hot or old etc and if you don't make it there it still needs too be used up with 4 hours etc.

The cheapest and best option is do it from home and advertising on Facebook Twitter Instagram etc. If you don't get many sales you still don't need pay alot of money I paid for a couple of Facebook adds but it seems pointless you just keep putting new pictures and videos every day and you build up customer.

Do a hygiene level 2 course and online it only costs about 10-15 pounds and you need give 28 days notice before you can start the business it can be applied online.
Mahlet_Sisay17/08/2020 18:43

Thanks for your reply. When I mentioned selling for friends and families …Thanks for your reply. When I mentioned selling for friends and families it was like for a starter to build up the business and grow customers number and introduce my products. What you said about approaching local independent café and coffee shops to see if they're interested in stoking products for me is very helpful . I never thought it works this way so thank you very much I will give it a go.

I know what you meant for a starter, but the point is you need to drive the business not your friends. You may be producing the best healthy food in the UK, but you need exposure, and it will involve nothing whatsoever to do with your cooking skills.

I go to a gym that happens to be on a small industrial site and the nearest food place is a supermarket within a petrol station and thats not a walkable distance from the site. A woman turns up once a day with sandwiches and people buy. That's another way you can find out if your products sell.

Getting back to my first suggestion. I've seen a glass cake stand on a countertop at many establishments with what looks like home baked products. If you were able to supply one of those full with your products and get it positioned there you would be doing very well. Perhaps make a sample selection to give to the decision maker at any given establishment.

Anyway the above is just a few ideas and I must admit I would have no idea how social media could help you but I'm sure it could.
MynameisM17/08/2020 18:56

First step is decide in exactly nwha5 you want too sell, and do a bit if …First step is decide in exactly nwha5 you want too sell, and do a bit if reasearch see if anyone is already doing same stuff locally and what the prices are and. Have you decided in what your prices will be.My partner set up a similar thing selling home made food there is alot of paperwork and stuff involved. But don't worry too much about local authority inspection they are very nice they just come check your property that it's good in terms of health safety and hygiene.She considered markets but it's more costly in the end we had a Facebook page had a few banners made went too 2 3 small local funfair type event's and gave out leaflets at these events put a market in 2 3 times a few months apart just for the advertisement. Going too markets takes up quite a bit if finance as you need spend money on keep food hot or old etc and if you don't make it there it still needs too be used up with 4 hours etc. The cheapest and best option is do it from home and advertising on Facebook Twitter Instagram etc. If you don't get many sales you still don't need pay alot of money I paid for a couple of Facebook adds but it seems pointless you just keep putting new pictures and videos every day and you build up customer.Do a hygiene level 2 course and online it only costs about 10-15 pounds and you need give 28 days notice before you can start the business it can be applied online.

Thank you, this is very cost effective starter strategy than what I thought. All I knew was I have to complete a hygiene course didn't realise it has to be at level 2. So, thanks for sharing that. I will look into the course and check with my local council about the hygiene inspection and the paperwork you mention. I might PM you if I got lost in these processes is that ok?
Thank you very much
OllieSt17/08/2020 21:59

I know what you meant for a starter, but the point is you need to drive …I know what you meant for a starter, but the point is you need to drive the business not your friends. You may be producing the best healthy food in the UK, but you need exposure, and it will involve nothing whatsoever to do with your cooking skills.I go to a gym that happens to be on a small industrial site and the nearest food place is a supermarket within a petrol station and thats not a walkable distance from the site. A woman turns up once a day with sandwiches and people buy. That's another way you can find out if your products sell.Getting back to my first suggestion. I've seen a glass cake stand on a countertop at many establishments with what looks like home baked products. If you were able to supply one of those full with your products and get it positioned there you would be doing very well. Perhaps make a sample selection to give to the decision maker at any given establishment. Anyway the above is just a few ideas and I must admit I would have no idea how social media could help you but I'm sure it could.

All the points you mentioned and your examples are super important. I really do appreciate your suggestions as thay gave me different idea on how I could approach the start up in a different way. As well as promoting my products on social media I have to approach businesses and people to introduce my product and gain exposure from variety of sources. I will definitely work on this.
Thank you
Just an idea look at your local cafes and coffee shops, I know you said you weren’t financially established for your own shop but say you were to contact two of these types of shops at opposite ends of town and ask them if you could pay a small fee to make and sell your products on there premises
Mahlet_Sisay17/08/2020 18:43

Thanks for your reply. When I mentioned selling for friends and families …Thanks for your reply. When I mentioned selling for friends and families it was like for a starter to build up the business and grow customers number and introduce my products. What you said about approaching local independent café and coffee shops to see if they're interested in stoking products for me is very helpful . I never thought it works this way so thank you very much I will give it a go.

The only down side when relying on friends and family is that divide on business and personal life.

You will get a few who are up for supporting and entertaining the idea. Then you'll get the few who are all talk and no show.

This could be an issue if it came to "why aren't they helping me."
To "my friends aren't real friends."

If they feel it isn't a good idea, or something they can financial support.

An old friend of mine wanted to open a skateboard brand. He was skateboarding 6 months, so he had zero idea how the skateboarding world worked. As well had no business sense. He also asked me to lend him £600 to support the idea (without a contract of investment it was a no).

Just an example of pricing;

UK branded skateboard decks (just the wood) were priced at £40-45 for the known brands. £30 for the smaller brands and then £20-25 for the blank decks.
American brands cost £60 (due to imports)

He came in with a bunch of low resolution prints and wanted to charge £50 each deck. I tried telling him, start low because you are an unknown brand. No one would support you at that price. His stubbornness took over and £50 it was.

As my support towards his vision wasn't "supportive enough" (as I knew he was making major mistakes and I was offering good advice that was being ignored). I took a step back, and because I criticized an advert he made (he paid someone to pose and didn't bother putting his logo on the piece and over exposed the piece that it actually looked photo shopped in a poor way (which is what I stated)). We had a falling out, and because he was bitter about my comment (that others shared the same opinion as me) we stopped talking.

This was 5 or so years ago. We've not spoken since.

Friends and business doesn't mix.

To this day, I don't know how many decks he sold outside his group of friends. I wouldn't expect it to be many, sadly.
Edited by: "kos1c" 18th Aug
For advice yourself. You could try working part time in a cafe that make their own drinks (coffees, smoothies etc) to get advice and experience before going into your own adventure.

As well. Ask other independent cafes how they got their foot in the door. You may get some solid advice from them.

As well the advice above from other members.
First step is to send me samples. Lots & lots of samples
Thank you everyone, your input has been very valuable. It helped me see the whole thing from different perspective. Thank you very much .
Mahlet_Sisay17/08/2020 22:42

Thank you, this is very cost effective starter strategy than what I …Thank you, this is very cost effective starter strategy than what I thought. All I knew was I have to complete a hygiene course didn't realise it has to be at level 2. So, thanks for sharing that. I will look into the course and check with my local council about the hygiene inspection and the paperwork you mention. I might PM you if I got lost in these processes is that ok?Thank you very much

Yes that's fine good luck.
Post a comment
@
    Text