Statement of special educational needs

    Hello. My son is 21 months and has been diagnosed with autism. Doctor said that he may get a statement of special educational needs but she was not sure. What age does a child get statement of special educational needs? What are the benefits of having one?

    I am hoping to do ABA therapy for my son, and have read that some LAs are funding the programme for children with a statement. How can i get one and how to do i go about applying for funding for ABA as its very expensive


    You need to contact your local child psychiatry service to help you with your enquiry

    normally a c hild has an iep (indevidual educational plan) put into place around the age of 3. does your child have portage or go to an child development centre. these placed can help as can the consultant that diagnosed him or school if he already attends.

    a statement will out line any help that your child will need to get the education he deserves.

    jennie xx

    Statement of needs
    If the LEA decides to issue a statement for your child, they will first send you a proposed statement.

    The proposed statement will include:

    the local education authority's view of your child's special educational needs. This should include a list of all your child's learning difficulties
    the types of special education which the local education authority thinks will meet all your child's needs. This may include facilities, therapy, equipment, staffing arrangements, curriculum, class environment and teaching and learning strategies
    monitoring arrangements for your child's progress, including arrangements for annual review
    any non-educational needs of your child, which may include specialist medical help, mobility training, respite care, and any specialist travel arrangements
    all the information taken into account when making the statement.
    You should check the proposed statement carefully to make sure you agree with it. If there is anything you are not happy about, you have 15 days from the date it arrives to let the local education authority know your concerns.

    You can ask for a meeting with a local education authority officer to discuss your concerns. If you feel that the proposed statement is discriminating against your child because of race, sex, sexuality, religion or disability, make sure you mention your concerns at this stage. If you are still unhappy with the statement after the meeting, you can ask for further meetings.

    The local education authority must issue a final statement within eight weeks of issuing the proposed statement (longer if you have arranged meetings with local education authority officers) and begin providing for the special educational needs of your child. If you have agreed changes to the proposed statement, these should be included in the final statement. You have the right to appeal if you are unhappy with anything in the final statement – see under the heading Complaints and appeals.

    If you want to appeal against a final statement from the local education authority, you may want to consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau.

    PM us....Loads of info for you...Been there....done that ..same situ some years ago and we can help you with your present situ and the future situations ahead.:thumbsup:

    I'm a SENCO (Special Needs co-ordinator) at a mainstream school (we have several pupils with ASD). pm me if you think I can help. xx
    Is your son in any educational setting - if so I would speak to them about what extra support they are/will be providing for his needs. If not, your local Parent Partnership should be invaluable in terms of support.
    There are three basic stages in the SEN Code of Practice:
    School Action - the school feels that the pupil is making adequate progress with the extra support they have in place
    Action Plus - outside agencies beyond the school are involved in meeting the pupil's needs
    Statementing - the pupil needs a full assessment of all of their needs, the outcome of which will be legally binding outcomes which must be provided by the school/agency named in the statement.
    The differences made by a statement vary from area to area and school to school. However, statements give a legal safeguard to parents who are concerned that the educational establishment attended by their child may not make appropriate provision otherwise.

    You can also ask your local parent partnership for advice, they are usually a good source of information.
    Post a comment
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764172
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2955
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891819
      4. Sad news about Barcelona24112

      See more discussions