Static caravan parks to ease housing crisis, anyone else think it would be a good idea.

Edited by:"SOUTHWALES"Found 31st Dec 2017
Anyone else think it would be a good idea for councils across the country to build residential static caravan parks to ease the housing crisis, you can fit around 40 caravans to an acre of land, plus your not technically building on the land so much of it can stay green, they could charge the local 2 bedroom council rate to help cover the costs, they are also much more luxury to live in than most UK housing and many are 2 to 3 bedrooms so suitable for small family's. There also probably more environmentally friendly than concrete housing, maybe only offering them to working family's to take the risk of them getting run down but then you could say that about housing estates, everyone still needs a secure home one way or another. Plus they could be much more easier adapted for disabled people and the elderly as there on one level.

2868328.jpg

2868328.jpg

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

Anything that saves the council money, solves a problem and puts a dry warm roof over a family's head gets my vote
31 Comments

My local council already has some mobile homes that it uses as second stage hostels for people needing emergency acomodation

Most people are picky and feel they should ive in Kensington because they came from a poor country to drive an Uber in London.

Anything that saves the council money, solves a problem and puts a dry warm roof over a family's head gets my vote

Seriously though they should be taught to build their own home at the same time to UK regs and then over time the land would be systematically filled with proper housing. Surely somewhere in the world they are doing this.
Edited by: "davewave" 31st Dec 2017

Why use caravans, tents are cheaper.

ding19 m ago

Anything that saves the council money, solves a problem and puts a dry …Anything that saves the council money, solves a problem and puts a dry warm roof over a family's head gets my vote

Brilliant and a very sensible reply, well said!

Trailer parks worked well in the states, keeps the poor, poor, rifle with drugs and no go areas for police in some areas. In my opinion this is just letting the government and builders off the hook. We need strong laws that prevent building companies holding onto land for too long, the building companies own vast tracts of land that they keep for 10-20 years before they even develop it, if they were made to get on with it, there may not be such as shortage of houses. Most of this shortage is artificially created to keep prices high.

cmdr_elito15 m ago

Trailer parks worked well in the states, keeps the poor, poor, rifle with …Trailer parks worked well in the states, keeps the poor, poor, rifle with drugs and no go areas for police in some areas. In my opinion this is just letting the government and builders off the hook. We need strong laws that prevent building companies holding onto land for too long, the building companies own vast tracts of land that they keep for 10-20 years before they even develop it, if they were made to get on with it, there may not be such as shortage of houses. Most of this shortage is artificially created to keep prices high.

32955826-V88yP.jpgHouse building is on the up, try driving round the country. Building sites everywhere.
Even the guardian paints a brighter picture,

theguardian.com/bus…018

Or you could just keep listening to Corbyn and his daily tweets.

fullfact.org/eco…ent

cmdr_elito17 m ago

Trailer parks worked well in the states, keeps the poor, poor, rifle with …Trailer parks worked well in the states, keeps the poor, poor, rifle with drugs and no go areas for police in some areas. In my opinion this is just letting the government and builders off the hook. We need strong laws that prevent building companies holding onto land for too long, the building companies own vast tracts of land that they keep for 10-20 years before they even develop it, if they were made to get on with it, there may not be such as shortage of houses. Most of this shortage is artificially created to keep prices high.

letting the lazy and feckless off the hook more like, want a house then work your butt off to get one, want children then take care of them - its not the govt's job to simply redistribute wealth from those who work hard to those who don't or those who come from a poor country.

shadey126 m ago

[Image] House building is on the up, try driving round the country. …[Image] House building is on the up, try driving round the country. Building sites everywhere.Even the guardian paints a brighter picture,https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/26/six-factors-influencing-the-property-market-in-2018Or you could just keep listening to Corbyn and his daily tweets.https://fullfact.org/economy/house-building-lowest-level-1920s/?utm_source=content_page&utm_medium=related_content

I hate Corbyn so no thank you. Housing is only up to pre recession level, it should be way higher than it is now and there should never have been the dip in building as house prices were pretty much unaffected by the recession and have in fact increased due to the building slowing down.

Even the conservatives have said that we still aren’t building enough and they want to build more so this means we aren’t building enough. I believe it’s something like 350,000-400,000 per year.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 31st Dec 2017

cmdr_elito11 m ago

I hate Corbyn so no thank you. Housing is only up to pre recession level, …I hate Corbyn so no thank you. Housing is only up to pre recession level, it should be way higher than it is now and there should never have been the dip in building as house prices were pretty much unaffected by the recession and have in fact increased due to the building slowing down. Even the conservatives have said that we still aren’t building enough and they want to build more so this means we aren’t building enough. I believe it’s something like 350,000-400,000 per year.

So you want the country to build more houses than it ever as done?

davewave14 m ago

letting the lazy and feckless off the hook more like, want a house then …letting the lazy and feckless off the hook more like, want a house then work your butt off to get one, want children then take care of them - its not the govt's job to simply redistribute wealth from those who work hard to those who don't or those who come from a poor country.

In some cases that may be true but there are plenty of people on low wages priced out of the market. You would soon be complaining if cleaners didn’t clean your office or your restaurant/cafe shut because no waiters turned up or hospitals had to close wards due to a lack of nursing staff because they moved away due to a lack of affordable housing.

I am fortunate enough to own my own home, with 50% mortgage left and am in my mid 30’s. My wife and I have worked hard to do this and have both done fairly well in our careers working insane hours all the time. I do however appreciate all the staff who come in and grind cleaning, cooking etc but get paid very little. For them it’s very hard, you argue that they should work harder but the reality is we need these people to do their jobs so we have clean offices, food in our cafes and nurses on our wards. We either raise the minimum/living wage further to pay them fairly and not help them or keep the wages low but offer them a little help.

shadey123 m ago

The population is the highest it’s ever been so yes.

Thanks for the pictures, op. I was struggling to work out what a static caravan was.

cmdr_elito17 m ago

The population is the highest it’s ever been so yes.

Are you happy to lose money in the value of your property and for a lot of people to be in negative equity?

My opinion is whilst good for a holiday static caravans are notoriously bad at retaining heat over any meaningful time period. I know ofgem was concerned last year at the practises of caravan parks where many people pay service charges for electric heating which isn't anywhere near a true reflection of the bill that the park is paying. But as they have signed up to a monopolised living arrangement they don't get an alternative.

perhaps something like holiday camp style chalets would be better? (Thinking butlins style)
quick to chuck up with ready made walls etc and pin together, plus more permanent.

It might be a good idea for short term emergency accommodation, However, would I like to live in one permanently, no. They are fantastic for holidays but the practicality of living in one as a family unit would be a lot harder. They have virtually no storage/ wardrobe space (if you put a winter coat in one it would take up most of the space) and the kitchen areas usually only have space for essentials.
yes, you can buy storage sheds but even thoughs don’t hold much.

I would vote for it They have these in the US, called trailer parks and the residents trailer trash

seriously though, mobile homes are a great idea to help with the housing crisis, especially in over populated cities. in our area there is an area of mobile homes which look out on beautiful countryside, which are populated by pensioners so they are great retirement homes.

Original Poster

shadey1237 m ago

Are you happy to lose money in the value of your property and for a lot of …Are you happy to lose money in the value of your property and for a lot of people to be in negative equity?

How do you mean? Are you saying house building should be kept to a minimum so people are not at risk of being put in negative equity.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 31st Dec 2017

SOUTHWALES18 m ago

How do you mean? Are you saying house building should be kept to a minimum …How do you mean? Are you saying house building should be kept to a minimum so people are not at risk of being put in negative equity.

See my previous comments, should we build more than than at any time in living memory, there is a shortage of tradesman, should we allow free movement of tradesmen from the rest of the world. We are building more houses year on year and it's rising.

Edit I was asking the question to someone who said we should be building 400,000 houses a year. In reality shouldn't we be asking why we are so short of housing.
Edited by: "shadey12" 31st Dec 2017

shadey121 h, 18 m ago

shadey1257 m ago

Are you happy to lose money in the value of your property and for a lot of …Are you happy to lose money in the value of your property and for a lot of people to be in negative equity?

What I think most want is the local councils to build affordable housing, not 4/5 bedroom properties by housing companies/builders.

Councils selling off blocks of flats and demolishing multi-storeys and not replacing them is the crux I think in most towns/cities, knock-on effect is the councils need less tradesman to maintain these properties sold/demolished, so they don't replace experienced tradesman, electricians, joiners, heating engineers/plumbers etc, therefore apprenticeship schemes with local councils, once a valued and sought after career for life, are rare indeed.

Councils aren't creating jobs like they used to, as they don't need to, they have little housing stock left to maintain.

Where there used to be 100's of council flats (demolished by council and land sold to developers) there is now 30 or so houses which are bought by businessmen and are subsequently rented out to council tenants.

Re negative equity ; for me personally, small, affordable 2/3 bedroom housing won't affect me or my equity in the slightest, if anything it'll increase the value of 4 bedroom properties as they will be a minority..

Original Poster

shadey1214 m ago

See my previous comments, should we build more than than at any time in …See my previous comments, should we build more than than at any time in living memory, there is a shortage of tradesman, should we allow free movement of tradesmen from the rest of the world. We are building more houses year on year and it's rising.

I don't want to see more houses being built than ever before but, we allowed and many voted for mass immigration, this is why I would rather see static caravans as a more friendly option, rather than just filling the country with concrete.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 31st Dec 2017

I never really understood the logic behind building cheap houses, wouldn't it be more sensible to build houses for the rich?

If you build expensive houses then everyone wins. The rich sell their existing houses to the slightly less rich and so on, so the average quality of the housing stock goes up. As you're spending lots of money on the new houses you can build them to the highest eco-quality so the UK's emissions and pollution drops. They'll also be more durable and more flexible for future uses so the country has to spend less on housing in the future.

Sure, it might not be possible in a few places that are space-constrained but for the average new housing estate on the edge of a town or city it seems like it should be the default choice, instead of the cramped, dark dolls houses springing up at the moment.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 31st Dec 2017

shadey122 h, 19 m ago

Won’t happen, as long as it doesn’t exceed 500,000 per year.

SOUTHWALES1 h, 22 m ago

I don't want to see more houses being built than ever before but, we …I don't want to see more houses being built than ever before but, we allowed and many voted for mass immigration, this is why I would rather see static caravans as a more friendly option, rather than just filling the country with concrete.

The reality is we need to build houses not create trailer shanty towns.

Original Poster

cmdr_elito1 h, 46 m ago

The reality is we need to build houses not create trailer shanty towns.

But they do not have to be trailer shanty towns. Are you saying the people you house in them will turn them into shanty towns, then if so you could satay they would turn housing estates into shanty towns. I also suggested making them available to working familys, the disabled and people going into retirement.

Original Poster

craigstephens4 h, 16 m ago

Thanks for the pictures, op. I was struggling to work out what a static …Thanks for the pictures, op. I was struggling to work out what a static caravan was.

I included pictures to show that the council could bulk buy matching style static caravans to keep a residential site looking smart rather than caravans of different models colours and years.

Stop Procreating and letting Outsiders into the Country and that will solve it
there is going to be noo green ways if it continues!!! Thank god i wont be alive to see it

EndlessWaves5 h, 5 m ago

I never really understood the logic behind building cheap houses, wouldn't …I never really understood the logic behind building cheap houses, wouldn't it be more sensible to build houses for the rich?If you build expensive houses then everyone wins. The rich sell their existing houses to the slightly less rich and so on, so the average quality of the housing stock goes up. As you're spending lots of money on the new houses you can build them to the highest eco-quality so the UK's emissions and pollution drops. They'll also be more durable and more flexible for future uses so the country has to spend less on housing in the future.Sure, it might not be possible in a few places that are space-constrained but for the average new housing estate on the edge of a town or city it seems like it should be the default choice, instead of the cramped, dark dolls houses springing up at the moment.

hmmm.... interesting concept. never thought about it this way. let me mull over it as there will be a reason why they build properties for the poor and not the rich.

my first thought would be that the rich may not want to move from their properties as people don't like moving unless they really have to. people get settled and so it normally takes a lot for someone to up sticks, even if they can afford to. so although the properties will sell eventually, they may have to sit around for a while and in the meantime house builders have empty houses and no cashflow.

SOUTHWALES2 h, 55 m ago

I included pictures to show that the council could bulk buy matching style …I included pictures to show that the council could bulk buy matching style static caravans to keep a residential site looking smart rather than caravans of different models colours and years.

Yes now I look at them again, I see what you were aiming at.

Widnesmick31st Dec 2017

Brilliant and a very sensible reply, well said!

Thank you, and happy new year from the other half of halton cut in half by a rediculous bridge
Edited by: "ding" 1st Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants