Static shock from Hoover? Lol

Found 26th Apr 2012
Ok, I got a new Hoover today, a shiny new Henry, it gives me a static shock, quite often, im vaccuming carpet barefoot,what can I do? Lol! Thank you
Community Updates
MiscHoover
39 Comments
Banned
i wouldn't hoover
Put shoes on. Wear rubber gloves
get rid of carpet and get wood flooring , then sweep
Original Poster
Lol, I don't wanna Hoover, it's not nice haha, will wearing shoes make a difference, will try that, don't really wanna wear gloves every time I Hoover lol
Be thankful it wasn't toxic shock & ask your partner to vacuum instead.

However, if you only bought it today, see if you can exchange it for a different model.
The one you have may be faulty.
Banned
anyway i thought you said you had a man
Original Poster
Hmmm is it faulty?? Don't wanna look silly returning it lol, I do have a man sassie, unfortunately he doesn't Hoover, but he cooks, which is better for me lol
Original Poster
Thought about making the kids o it everyday, but I don't want social services to call haha
loupomm

Hmmm is it faulty?? Don't wanna look silly returning it lol, I do have a … Hmmm is it faulty?? Don't wanna look silly returning it lol, I do have a man sassie, unfortunately he doesn't Hoover, but he cooks, which is better for me lol

Is "This vacuum cleaner gives you a static shock every time you use it" in the manual?

I suspect the "Henry Helpline" will suggest wearing shoes.
Just shoes; nothing else.
Banned
'hoover' is a BRAND, not the noun (vacuum is the noun)
Edited by: "faiz123" 26th Apr 2012
Could always use it as punishment for the kids then?
On a slightly more serious note, give wearing rubber soled shoes a go!
faiz123

This, spelling bugs me, but calling a vacuum cleaner a hoover really does annoy the ass off of me!
our cleaner has been on holiday so i had to run the hoover myself recently and got static shock myself. never had this before but the next time i used it i did not get the shock.

it may be occasional dependent on factors.
I used to work in Tesco and sometimes had to put the toilet rolls and kitchen rolls out and always got static shocks! I found that if you hold onto another large piece of metal attached to the ground so that you 'earth' yourself it helps!!!

Alternatively, I would hide out the back and claim to be looking for something for a customer.

So my advice is either drag a large lump of metal around whilst hoovering or run away and hide.
Banned
true dat
Original Poster
Thanks guys, will give it a go with shoes on tomorrow and report back sorry, I'll not 'Hoover' -I'll 'vacuum' lol
faiz123

Hoover is now considered to be a noun and a verb oxforddictionaries.com/def…ver ,but regardless what the OED says, I think you are right.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 26th Apr 2012
Original Poster
Haha, a large metal object, hmmm I don't think I have one lol, may try hiding instead!
Banned
Should have bought something a little less basic.
Hoover or a Henry?

Why did you buy 2?
Banned
sancho1983

Hoover or a Henry? Why did you buy 2?

Generic brand term, like iPad...
how weird.. if your hubby has a go- or kids - do they get a shock too?
master_chief

Generic brand term, like iPad...

And jacuzzi...
The static is coming from you, the Henry is just taking the static from you, i get it when i touch a car or generally anything metal. You pick up the sttaic from the carpet (or even clothing such as wool jumpers or chenial sofas)...pretty much like when you rub a ballon accross your hair, you may notice if you run you hair accross the carpet it makes you hair static too. When you touch something metal that takes the charge from you and i believe its that charge passing accross that you feel.

This may not be 100% acurate but im sure its something along those lines
Original Poster
Thanks skellysgirl, and Sam, I don't know yet...will experiment lol
loupomm

Thanks skellysgirl, and Sam, I don't know yet...will experiment lol

Lol. Picturing op running her head along the carpet to pick up charge now! X)
sassie

i wouldn't hoover

This is sound advice.
Banned
skellysgirl

The static is coming from you, the Henry is just taking the static from … The static is coming from you, the Henry is just taking the static from you, i get it when i touch a car or generally anything metal. You pick up the sttaic from the carpet (or even clothing such as wool jumpers or chenial sofas)...pretty much like when you rub a ballon accross your hair, you may notice if you run you hair accross the carpet it makes you hair static too. When you touch something metal that takes the charge from you and i believe its that charge passing accross that you feel.This may not be 100% acurate but im sure its something along those lines

I would have said the static is coming from the Henry for seemingly obvious reasons.
master_chief

I would have said the static is coming from the Henry for seemingly … I would have said the static is coming from the Henry for seemingly obvious reasons.

I often give static shocks to people when passing them things, ie passing money over in shops, even the dog gets it when he gets his nose near my hands.

Banned
harlzter

I often give static shocks to people when passing them things, ie passing … I often give static shocks to people when passing them things, ie passing money over in shops, even the dog gets it when he gets his nose near my hands.

As do we all
I am talking about several times daily. The local shop workers have learnt to hold their hand flat so I can drop coins into their palms!
Banned
harlzter

I am talking about several times daily. The local shop workers have … I am talking about several times daily. The local shop workers have learnt to hold their hand flat so I can drop coins into their palms!

Could be a super power?
master_chief

I would have said the static is coming from the Henry for seemingly … I would have said the static is coming from the Henry for seemingly obvious reasons.

No it comes from you...I work with electrical engineers and scientists...one of them explained it to me one day cos I get and give shocks all the time.
Banned
skellysgirl

No it comes from you...I work with electrical engineers and … No it comes from you...I work with electrical engineers and scientists...one of them explained it to me one day cos I get and give shocks all the time.

I'm not saying people can't get statically charged any other way, I'm just saying in OP's case it comes from runbbing this particular vacuum cleaner over a carpet.
master_chief

I'm not saying people can't get statically charged any other way, I'm … I'm not saying people can't get statically charged any other way, I'm just saying in OP's case it comes from runbbing this particular vacuum cleaner over a carpet.

I think the fact it was barefoot more than anything, then it discharges through the metal Henry pipe (I assume its metal as our Charles ones is).

Banned
harlzter

I think the fact it was barefoot more than anything, then it discharges … I think the fact it was barefoot more than anything, then it discharges through the metal Henry pipe (I assume its metal as our Charles ones is).

barefoot may be playing a part but i don't think OP has changed routine in that respect. The only variable changed is the actual vacuum. Metal pipe being directly held as opposed to (I assume) a previous upright with plenty of plastic between floor and handle will be the difference here.
Original Poster
Yes my last vacuum was mostly plastic, and an upright, seems only me to get the shocks from Henry, I'm sad that I will have to delegate the vacuuming from now on!
loupomm

Yes my last vacuum was mostly plastic, and an upright, seems only me to … Yes my last vacuum was mostly plastic, and an upright, seems only me to get the shocks from Henry, I'm sad that I will have to delegate the vacuuming from now on!

Is it only whilst holding the pipe? I noticed our pipe gets cold due to constant airflow through it in use so slipped a piece of foam pipe insulation over the section we tend to hold most whilst in use and I'd hazard an educated guess that this would also insulate you from the static..
Original Poster
Will give it a try, thank you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions