Statistics

Found 26th Jul
Am I allowed to ask a stats related query here?
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
The mods said yes !!!

Ok so basically I have 2 sets of data - one has about 600 data points and the other around 250 and I am trying to find a meaningful way of finding the average or at least interpreting meaningfully. I say that because both have outlier data, one more extreme than the other.

I have calculated the mean and std dev of each (set 1 average is 1.5million and SD of 4.4million) (Set 2 average is 1.4million and SD is 4.3million)

I have no idea what the SD actually tells me and what I can do to get meaningful data out of this?

Stats 101 anyone?
Does it involve any politics or religion ?
Any sort of sex is fine however so um 'fire away'
I have
Wongy11022 m ago

Does it involve any politics or religion ?Any sort of sex is fine however …Does it involve any politics or religion ?Any sort of sex is fine however so um 'fire away'

I have fired !!
cmdr_elito1 h, 4 m ago

SD = https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

Yeah thanks - I know it’s a spread of data
Glib but true;

It's stats so the 'answer' you seek is whatever you want it to be. (I used to work with a Government Certified Statistician). There will be more than one conclusion available. Ask yourself why you have the data.

If that answer is no good to you then I suggest you adjust your thinking towards Anaylsis
Yup, meaning is dependant on context. You haven't provided any context, so it's difficult for us to suggest any way to provide meaning.

You need to have some idea of what you want to end up with, determine what type of data would be most useful as an end result. Once you know that then figuring out how to use the statistical tools to get there is the bit where it's easy for others to help.

It sounds like you want information about the distribution of these values so have you tried simply grouping them?
AdamWalkerGX712 h, 50 m ago

The mods said yes !!!Ok so basically I have 2 sets of data - one has about …The mods said yes !!!Ok so basically I have 2 sets of data - one has about 600 data points and the other around 250 and I am trying to find a meaningful way of finding the average or at least interpreting meaningfully. I say that because both have outlier data, one more extreme than the other.I have calculated the mean and std dev of each (set 1 average is 1.5million and SD of 4.4million) (Set 2 average is 1.4million and SD is 4.3million)I have no idea what the SD actually tells me and what I can do to get meaningful data out of this?Stats 101 anyone?

i have just realised how thick i am, that was just a noise
Edited by: "ding" 27th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants