Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Stay logged into tesco groceries

Posted 20th Apr
I have the tesco grocery app on my phone and that is always logged in but the website on my laptop logs me out automatically when I close the window.

On the offchance, does anyone know if there is a way to stay logged in to my account on the tesco grocery site when I close the window?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
mutley120/04/2020 12:40

guess that would be the last resort! i only ever have one window open as …guess that would be the last resort! i only ever have one window open as having multiple windows open throughout the day slows the pc down. my laptop is not a fast laptop.

I've got a lappy that's around 8 years old, still on windows 7 and it can cope with having 20 tabs open at least can't believe (or should I say, hard to believe) that you can only have one tab open at a time.
Haircut_10020/04/2020 12:38

Don’t close the window?

Or just put lappy in sleep mode and as you say leave window open, must be a slow news day today.
In these trying times staying logged into supermarket sites taking up server space that other people need could be seen as a selfish act.
Be a responsible shopper and let others use the sites as well.
Just use the app if it’s too much to keep logging in, Mutters. You answered your question in your OP.
36 Comments
Don’t close the window?

Don’t close the window?

guess that would be the last resort! i only ever have one window open as having multiple windows open throughout the day slows the pc down. my laptop is not a fast laptop.

Don’t close the window?

Or just put lappy in sleep mode and as you say leave window open, must be a slow news day today.
deleted1793489
Maybe a browser setting...worth trying different browser then troubleshooting original browser if that makes a difference. itechtics.com/alw…er/
You would not save/gain anything by staying logged in.
I bet your phone is running Android or IOS. And I bet your laptop is either running Windoze or Chrome. I bet further that you are either using Edge or Chrome browser.
How much have I won in this accumulator so far?
There is a technical solution to every technical problem - some are easy, some are hard, some cost nothing, some cost tons.
Are you prepared to pay money for a technical solution?
The website is having issues atm could be affecting the app too
deleted179348920/04/2020 13:11

Maybe a browser setting...worth trying different browser then …Maybe a browser setting...worth trying different browser then troubleshooting original browser if that makes a difference. https://www.itechtics.com/always-sign-gmail-closing-browser/

i have noticed that if i leave chrome open and open another website on the same tab instead of closing the tab and then opening another website, i stay logged into my tesco account.

i think it is the actual chrome shut down that is closing the tesco account, which means that i have to leave a chrome page open all the time if i want to stay logged into the tesco account.

if there was a way to set chrome so that when it closes, it doesn't pass the info to the tesco site to tell the site that the browser has closed.
deleted1793489
mutley120/04/2020 13:20

i have noticed that if i leave chrome open and open another website on the …i have noticed that if i leave chrome open and open another website on the same tab instead of closing the tab and then opening another website, i stay logged into my tesco account.i think it is the actual chrome shut down that is closing the tesco account, which means that i have to leave a chrome page open all the time if i want to stay logged into the tesco account.if there was a way to set chrome so that when it closes, it doesn't pass the info to the tesco site to tell the site that the browser has closed.

That's why I sent the link...it could be the settings when you close it that clears cookies/history
deleted179348920/04/2020 13:21

That's why I sent the link...it could be the settings when you close it …That's why I sent the link...it could be the settings when you close it that clears cookies/history

i think you are on to the right line but my chrome browser has different settings to your link. when i go into cookie settings it is already set to do not clear cookies on site when i close chrome, so this should stop me being logged out. the cookies are still kept on the site as when i open the tesco site again, it remembers my username.
In these trying times staying logged into supermarket sites taking up server space that other people need could be seen as a selfish act.
Be a responsible shopper and let others use the sites as well.
Blueskinnedbeast20/04/2020 13:29

In these trying times staying logged into supermarket sites taking up …In these trying times staying logged into supermarket sites taking up server space that other people need could be seen as a selfish act.Be a responsible shopper and let others use the sites as well.

no difference to people logging in constantly to see if there are delivery slots available. the actual physical act of loggin in may actually take up more server space than staying logged in. people stayed logged in constantly on the app and that is never a problem.
Their website will automatically log you out after x amount of time when there's no activity. You would need to log in, then use a browser extension that automaticaly refreshes the page every few minutes to stay active. Obviously this isn't recommended as it's adding unnessessary processing to their server.

Not sure why you would want to stay logged in? Perhaps provide a reason and the solution might be something better :-)
mutley120/04/2020 13:33

no difference to people logging in constantly to see if there are delivery …no difference to people logging in constantly to see if there are delivery slots available. the actual physical act of loggin in may actually take up more server space than staying logged in. people stayed logged in constantly on the app and that is never a problem.

"Never a problem"?
Stopping vulnerable people accessing food deliveries is definitely a problem and people that do it are selfish and should be ashamed of their actions.
mutley120/04/2020 12:40

guess that would be the last resort! i only ever have one window open as …guess that would be the last resort! i only ever have one window open as having multiple windows open throughout the day slows the pc down. my laptop is not a fast laptop.

I've got a lappy that's around 8 years old, still on windows 7 and it can cope with having 20 tabs open at least can't believe (or should I say, hard to believe) that you can only have one tab open at a time.
codebee20/04/2020 13:35

Their website will automatically log you out after x amount of time when …Their website will automatically log you out after x amount of time when there's no activity. You would need to log in, then use a browser extension that automaticaly refreshes the page every few minutes to stay active. Obviously this isn't recommended as it's adding unnessessary processing to their server.Not sure why you would want to stay logged in? Perhaps provide a reason and the solution might be something better :-)

as others have said before, slots are uploaded onto their website at random times so if you want to get a slot, you have to check the site regularly and that the website is better for this than the app as slots may appear on the site but doesn't necessarily appear on the app. so instead of me logging in several times a day, if i left the account logged in, then all i need is open the favourite page and i am sorted, without having to type in my password again.

just makes things simpler. i can do this but it seems i must leave chrome open as when i close chrome, i am logged out of the site so it is the closure of the browser that logs me out of the tesco account as opening another site on the browser doesn't affect my tesco login.
Just use the app if it’s too much to keep logging in, Mutters. You answered your question in your OP.
Biddy220/04/2020 13:44

Just use the app if it’s too much to keep logging in, Mutters. You a …Just use the app if it’s too much to keep logging in, Mutters. You answered your question in your OP.

i have already said above that the app is not up to date with slots like the wesbite. they seem to allocate the spaces on the site first and then this feeds through to the app, by which time the slots are all gone as they go as soon as they appear since i am not the only one hanging around the site waiting for a slot!
mutley120/04/2020 13:46

i have already said above that the app is not up to date with slots like …i have already said above that the app is not up to date with slots like the wesbite. they seem to allocate the spaces on the site first and then this feeds through to the app, by which time the slots are all gone as they go as soon as they appear since i am not the only one hanging around the site waiting for a slot!

Well keeping your tab open probably won’t help either in that situation then as it won’t update until you refresh the page. When you do so, it’ll probably log you out.

So you’re stuck with the rest of us unfortunately.

Try using this instead. shoppingslot.co.uk/
deleted1793489
Biddy220/04/2020 13:49

That still won’t work for Tesco. It logs you out whatever.

It doesn't log me out upon closing the browser on my computer using Chrome. It may possibly after a timeout but the OP says on browser close.
deleted179348920/04/2020 13:52

It doesn't log me out upon closing the browser on my computer using …It doesn't log me out upon closing the browser on my computer using Chrome. It may possibly after a timeout but the OP says on browser close.

It does time out though. That’s the issue.
deleted1793489
Had my previous comment deleted so.. chrome://settings/content/cookies is worth a shot. There is a lot of misinformation being spread.you are talking about session based cookies and you are not preventing people from getting access to food. I do not get logged out on closing browser for Chrome
deleted179348920/04/2020 13:52

It doesn't log me out upon closing the browser on my computer using …It doesn't log me out upon closing the browser on my computer using Chrome. It may possibly after a timeout but the OP says on browser close.

i was able to stay logged in yesterday on chrome even when i closed the browser, the problem seems to have happened today so unless the tesco site has changed this morning. are you able to stay logged in today on chrome when you close your browser and then open it again?
deleted1793489
Biddy220/04/2020 13:54

It does time out though. That’s the issue.

Nowhere does it say that in the issue reported. It says on browser close.
deleted179348920/04/2020 13:56

Had my previous comment deleted so.. chrome://settings/content/cookies is …Had my previous comment deleted so.. chrome://settings/content/cookies is worth a shot. There is a lot of misinformation being spread.you are talking about session based cookies and you are not preventing people from getting access to food. I do not get logged out on closing browser for Chrome

when i go into cookie settings, i see this

40475657-093hc.jpg
deleted179348920/04/2020 13:59

Nowhere does it say that in the issue reported. It says on browser close.

I’m not criticising you on this, buddy. I’m just helping you understand about the problem the OP is facing.
deleted1793489
mutley120/04/2020 13:58

i was able to stay logged in yesterday on chrome even when i closed the …i was able to stay logged in yesterday on chrome even when i closed the browser, the problem seems to have happened today so unless the tesco site has changed this morning. are you able to stay logged in today on chrome when you close your browser and then open it again?

Yep, had it closed for over 10 minutes so far and opened and still signed in
deleted1793489
Biddy220/04/2020 14:00

I’m not criticising you on this, buddy. I’m just helping you understand abo …I’m not criticising you on this, buddy. I’m just helping you understand about the problem the OP is facing.

I do agree that it will probably timeout eventually as I've never tested but the problem the OP posted is that it logs them out on browser close, not on timeout (if they close it and immediately go back in they will be logged out).
deleted179348920/04/2020 14:00

Yep, had it closed for over 10 minutes so far and opened and still signed …Yep, had it closed for over 10 minutes so far and opened and still signed in

that is really weird as it seems to be my machine that is having a problem. as i have said this wasn't a problem yesterday so i thought maybe the tesco site has added a kick out feature this morning, but it seems that it is chrome and not tesco if you are able to stay in when you close the browser.
deleted1793489
chrome://settings/passwords may give you a easy workaround if you want just easy access to login quickly. (Sacrifices security though! - offer to save passwords)
deleted179348920/04/2020 14:09

chrome://settings/passwords may give you a easy workaround if you want …chrome://settings/passwords may give you a easy workaround if you want just easy access to login quickly. (Sacrifices security though! - offer to save passwords)

cheers, will try that for now. for tesco groceries i am not too worried about someone hacking into my account and ordering groceries for me
mutley120/04/2020 14:06

that is really weird as it seems to be my machine that is having a …that is really weird as it seems to be my machine that is having a problem. as i have said this wasn't a problem yesterday so i thought maybe the tesco site has added a kick out feature this morning, but it seems that it is chrome and not tesco if you are able to stay in when you close the browser.

I have tested this on Microsoft Edge and it keeps you logged in for a small period of time, but it does log you out.

So it is not just your machine or browser.
NCIS20/04/2020 17:06

I have tested this on Microsoft Edge and it keeps you logged in for a …I have tested this on Microsoft Edge and it keeps you logged in for a small period of time, but it does log you out. So it is not just your machine or browser.

but i am immediately logged out as soon as i close the chrome browser (or microsoft edge when i tested that) and open it again immediately. however if i keep the browser open and just switch between websites, i stay logged into the tesco site. i haven't tested how long i stay logged in but it is more than a minute.
mutley120/04/2020 17:09

but i am immediately logged out as soon as i close the chrome browser (or …but i am immediately logged out as soon as i close the chrome browser (or microsoft edge when i tested that) and open it again immediately. however if i keep the browser open and just switch between websites, i stay logged into the tesco site. i haven't tested how long i stay logged in but it is more than a minute.

That is exactly the same with me. Logged out as soon as the browser is closed. It does stay logged in for a short period if I keep the browser open but navigate to other websites and then come back to Tesco.
Blueskinnedbeast20/04/2020 13:36

"Never a problem"?Stopping vulnerable people accessing food deliveries is …"Never a problem"?Stopping vulnerable people accessing food deliveries is definitely a problem and people that do it are selfish and should be ashamed of their actions.

Sites don't work like that. You aren't hogging server space by being logged in. You are only using their resources when actively browsing. Staying logged in would have zero server load.
chocci20/04/2020 19:27

Sites don't work like that. You aren't hogging server space by being …Sites don't work like that. You aren't hogging server space by being logged in. You are only using their resources when actively browsing. Staying logged in would have zero server load.

i agree, logging you out of a site is simply a security measure that the retailer uses to protect your account from being hacked. it is for your own good and has nothing to do with server resource. as you say browsing the site without being logged in would take server resource as the site is fetching something for you, following your instructions, whereas someone being logged in but not actually doing anything on the site doesn't use any server resource.

amazon and ebay for example never logs me out until i click the log out button as well hukd.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions