Staying in Yorkshire for a week....

Posted 27th Jul 2017
Going go Ripon in Yorkshire for a week on our hollibops. 2 adults and 2 kids aged 5 & 15.
What do people recommend for us to do and see?
We've just boosted some clubcard vouchers to go to lightwater valley. What else is there to do? We have the car so happy to travel a few hours if needs be.
Thanks in advance
Community Updates
10 Comments
Walking.

Might sound dull but Yorkshire is reet pretty pet.
Pickering to Whitby on the North York Moors Steam Railway , climb the steps (quite a few hundred !) to maybe find Dracula at Whitby Abbey then treat yourself to( the best Fish and Chips in England ?) before taking the return journey . nymr.co.uk/?gc…BwE
For me, Eden Camp and The Forbidden Corner are excellent, and going to North Yorkshire without A day trip to Knaresborough would be absolute sacrilege. The Aysgarth Falls is nice, and Bolton Castle is good too. Then, you could even take a day in York, with Jorvik, The Minster, York Dungeon, and my absolute favourite attraction in York.....York Castle Museum.
Fountains Abbey with its grounds and Brimham rocks on your doorstep. Also +1 on Knaresborough with Madam Shipston cave which is a fairly short stroll along the river to see things petrified, a few play area's on the way and boat hire. +1 on a day in York is also worthwhile (my fav is seeing people reactions to the Jorvik centre everytime)
Stockeld-park is not too far away in Wetherby although I recommend in winter as it is truly magical when dark, can't really comment on summer as whilst I know it has different activities and others have recommended I have not yet been.
If a wet day the National Science and Media Museum at Bradford is free but make sure you book yourself into the wonderlab online first (also free) as you will enjoy that most.
Bolton Abbey is also nice - lots of families take their own bbq's down on nice days - pleasant short walk to ruin, stepping stones and can paddle in river.
If your 5 year is into weapons then Royal Armouries in Leeds may also be a good day trip that is also free - over summer they have special events on too (jousting etc) although my girls whizzed through in a few hours where those more into weapons may have been fascinated for the whole day.
This site though I find quite useful in looking dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/thi…pon
Edited by: "Bertz99" 27th Jul 2017
Barsnley
Lovely ideas guys. Will certainly look into all of it. Jorvik looks fantastic as does the museums. Also booked tickets to Beatrix Potter World..... Which is a good trek in the car, but kids will love it!
If you want to see what life was like in 1960's Yorkshire, then Barnsley is like a living musuem!!
Barnsley
I also agree with Knaresborough, boat on the river is a good shout if the weather is alright. Harrogate is nice too, also Grassington/Kettlewell and the other little villages are good for lunch/wandering around. Malhams good for a walk as is Bolton Abbey.

The obvious thing is walking, you're in between two National Parks and multiple areas of outstanding natural beauty.

Depends how much driving you want to do, but there's the Royal Armouries in Leeds (and Thackray Medical Museum) and York has the National Railway Museum and Jorvik.

Eureka near Huddersfield is good, but about an hour away so maybe too far.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 27th Jul 2017
fish and chips at Drakes, Knaresborough
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants