Steam Affected By The Heartbleed Bug - *Advice* "We'll inform you when it's fixed, and it's better to not do anything at the moment including logging off sites."

Found 8th Apr 2014
SteamDB.info discovered that the Heartbleed bug is currently affecting steam. You can read what this bug exactly is below. It's long yeah I didn't read it either. But here is what SteamDB.info says about it:
We recommend NOT using any Steam services until Valve issues a fix for a recently discovered vulnerability. We've contacted them about it.
It's a dangerous issue to everyone, it's more dangerous for developers because they deal with more sensitive content.
We'll inform you when it's fixed, and it's better to not do anything at the moment including logging off sites.
Lets hope they fix it fast, but for now; don't login or logout anywhere with your Steam acount! The only other, known, big player who is affected by this bug is Yahoo (Tumblr?).
Community Updates
19 Comments
But, but i cant play One finger Death Punch!

Thanks for this pal, just woke up, thought id have a browse, scratch that lol
Saaaaay whaaaa!? I wanted to play Guacamelee!!! Damn you internet!!!

(Thanks)
jaystan

http://heartbleed.com/https://twitter.com/SteamDB

Message is being displayed here too.

steamstat.us/

Thanks Jay.
Edited by: "geordiedeviant" 8th Apr 2014
If I've got it right my pc as been on since first thing this morning as long as i leave it logged in I can continue to play? I had never even heard of this until now scary stuff.
marra

If I've got it right my pc as been on since first thing this morning as … If I've got it right my pc as been on since first thing this morning as long as i leave it logged in I can continue to play? I had never even heard of this until now scary stuff.

Mine has been logged in all week so i thought the same. I have just stayed logged in.
I'm taking this opportunity to look at Desura, loading it up *shaking my head* then closing it back down.
You can be certain there is gonna be something amazing unlocked in the 'BTA HB Android and PC 9' later today right. Something really good and steam will just go down completely for a week. oO
The bug has been open for 2 years. oO

This doesn't just affect steam either. Can't believe this hasn't made the news seen as banks are also vulnerable.
But I've been logging in and out every day for months, along with I'm sure tens of thousands of other people. What does the act of logging in or out give them? As far as I know they can't log in to my account without my email verification can they?
biddilybah

The bug has been open for 2 years. oOThis doesn't just affect steam … The bug has been open for 2 years. oOThis doesn't just affect steam either. Can't believe this hasn't made the news seen as banks are also vulnerable.

not all banks... nwolb.com isn't
rehmann.co/pro…mit
biomehanik

not all banks... nwolb.com isn't … not all banks... nwolb.com isn't http://rehmann.co/projects/heartbeat/?domain=nwolb.com&port=443&submit=Submit

Yep, mine isn't either. Some people are saying their banks are affected by this though.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 8th Apr 2014
delusion

But I've been logging in and out every day for months, along with I'm … But I've been logging in and out every day for months, along with I'm sure tens of thousands of other people. What does the act of logging in or out give them? As far as I know they can't log in to my account without my email verification can they?

If the vulnerability has been there a while then it makes no difference (i don't think). It's something Steam would need to fix from their end. I don't know how it all works but I guess if you were logged in and someone decided to take advantage of said vulnerability and said something like 'I want all of the payment and log in information for all of those users currently logged in'
Then it would affect you.

First I knew about it was the link Jay posted. I'm sure someone smarter will be along in a minute.
Can't stop me from gaming, just saying Although slightly afflicted.
Edited by: "lewissymonds" 8th Apr 2014
Funny how people are calling out SteamDB for attention seeking over the issue.
Some people I tell you. Bet half of them are members on here the tripe they are coming out with. *hi*
I may have to log into Origin tonight :....(

(where is that first world problems meme?)
Edited by: "delusion" 8th Apr 2014
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bkt_58dCUAAj_WD.png:large

twitter.com/rik…o/1

From SteamDB:

Valve says vulnerabilities on steamcommunity.com have been resolved. We suggest changing your password and resetting SteamGuard now.
Edited by: "delusion" 8th Apr 2014
Crap I logged into whosgaming now earlier this morning
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions