Steam Deck

Posted 24th Aug 2022
Anyone here bought the Steam Deck. Got my email & have till 25th to confirm. I went for the 512Gb version at £565 so would like to know if anyone has it & is it worth it. I ordered it while I was still working but as I'm semi retired now don't know if I would really use it much as I have my gaming laptop for games.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Towerism
    The sleep / wake function is a huge plus for the steam deck vs gaming PCs. I've used it a lot now and it's super handy to just put to sleep and come back later to a game (especially single player games) with no fuss. It's just nice having a dedicated machine for games only (console experience). There's the built-in steam game Guides feature too which you can view while in-game which is brilliant (using it while playing FF7 atm).

Been using it with Joycons btw (valve added support in last beta) as I like the split controller and relaxed arm positions. Basically a switch phat with full access to your steam library (edited)
    Towerism

Replying to

I have an iPad stand that i also use with the steam deck (just barely fits in!):

amazon.co.uk/gp/…CW9

use it on my desk & coffee table - it extends up & down so i don't have to bend my neck
    Chiptivo
    Pre ordered the basic £399 (I think) on announcement and sold on ebay for £890 when it arrived a few months ago.
    Never used it. Was tempted to keep it, but have bills to pay and someone rich wanted it quickly.
    HellRazer
    Someone rich, that was me.
    ez2010
    When did you reserve yours? I made my reservation early July and it’s still showing Q4.
    JaRRR
    It seems to be the UK cut off is around the middle of May for the people being bumped Q4 to Q3. I reserved the 256GB version on 29/6 and I'm still showing as Q4, and around 45% on GetMyDeck. Jumped 17% in 2 days though!
    JoShmo
    You've got 2 weeks to decide after it arrives.
    Give it a go would be my advice.
    milkshake22
    It’s a good little device had it form start , it helps having a huge steam library but pc games are cheep.
    slimy31
    I've had mine for just over a week, and love it. It's really convenient to just pick up and play, even more than my laptop. Of course, it's also more powerful than my laptop, but that's just an added bonus!

Even if you don't like it, CEX still take them for roughly market price, or they will sell very easily second hand.
    StoneyWales
    Only had mine for a couple of days but it does add a completely different and convenient dimension to gaming, naturally.

Love the fact I can remotely link my ps5 with all my games with PS Plus etc. Likewise with gamepass, and all work brilliantly. You obviously need a decent internet connection but it opens the scope tremendously on games.

Then all the games that I've never played but had for free on Epic (thanks HUKD are being linked up to it too. So the choice of games outside of Steam games even is massive. Can be fiddly setting up these options, but so worth it.

Overall I'm delighted with it. Cracking little machine and so versatile and a good gaming system to boot. Well pleased.

Last point, you've got nothing to lose really. As one of the comments said above sell it on if you lose interest. In the immediate future you won't lose much, if anything at all to be fair.

Enjoy.
    Shindoogan
    I got mine yesterday. Loaded it with emulators and can access Xbox Cloud Gaming. Plays like a dream and support is just getting better.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants