Expired

Steam mop used on carpet

Found 20th Dec 2012
I have been informed that we need a steam mop for cleaning a few carpet stains around the house.

We did buy a carpet shampooer thing but that was very unwieldy, heavy and took time to set it up so we got rid of it.

Apparently there is a lightweight, stick type mop that works on carpets.

I've only ever heard of them being used for hard floors. Has anyone got one or had any experience of using a steam mop on carpets.
Community Updates
18 Comments
We have one of these to clean our carpets and rugs:-

tesco.com/dir…192

More here:-

http://www.tesco.com/direct/home-electrical/vacuums-steam-cleaners/cat3376647.cat?catId=4294960638

Or hire one:-

hss.com/cl/…tml
Steam mops don't really clean carpets, more for hard floors

We had one just seemed to make the carpet wet, think its more for refreshing carpets killing germs.
I don't think those steam mops will clean a carpet very well, at best they will only lift off surface grime and sanitise it.
Buy a new carpet (_;)
Like DLM says hire an industrial one or get someone in to do it
Using the high pressure nozzle to breakup the stain and it's contents (sorry couldn't find the better words - it's late night for me) will help depending on what's caused the stain - always test the steamer on a hidden piece or sample of the carpet.

We had a polti when the first came out on QVC years ago cost about £250 and if it wasn't for some carer breaking the nozzle we would still be using it. For all cleaning jobs from cooker to carpets, walls to ceilings, garden furniture etc etc
Thank you. Apparently the one that was seen on an advert is this one

amazon.co.uk/Hom…1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1355994010&sr=1-3

I'm worried that it won't last long as it looks flimsy to me and think a more expensive stem cleaner like the polti one mentioned above would be better.

But I've been told that the home-tek one is 'pink!' As if that is an important factor when purchasing a product! Lol

Mark2111

Thank you. Apparently the one that was seen on an advert is this … Thank you. Apparently the one that was seen on an advert is this onehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Tek-Package-Carpet-Glider-Softener/dp/B003AOGEFS/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1355994010&sr=1-3I'm worried that it won't last long as it looks flimsy to me and think a more expensive stem cleaner like the polti one mentioned above would be better.But I've been told that the home-tek one is 'pink!' As if that is an important factor when purchasing a product! Lol

That's the same one we had think we only paid £29.99 at the time & it was blue & silver not pink

Did the job O.K on the kitchen tiles & laminate but didn't clean the carpet it comes with an attachment you fit on the bottom to lift the pad off the floor when you use it on carpets, but like i said useless for carpets tbh
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polti-Vaporetto-Pocket-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B0045TZR2S/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1355995438&sr=1-1

That looks good to me! What do you think?
Blue on ebay Here a bit cheaper

& you will need spare pads because they stink if you leave them on the mop, plenty on ebay aswell worth ordering a couple of spares
we have an ancient polti def go for one of them...cleans everything!
btw on carpets its lovely and if you have a problem with hairs (we had 3 girls long hair) it lifts every last strand that your vacuum doesnt get x
There's THIS one £74.96 when you add to basket @ Asda
OldEnglish

Blue on ebay Here a bit cheaper& you will need spare pads because they … Blue on ebay Here a bit cheaper& you will need spare pads because they stink if you leave them on the mop, plenty on ebay aswell worth ordering a couple of spares

we dont use pads we use chopped up cotton t-shirts and affix with a rubber band saves £ then throw them no washing (you def dont want to wash the one used for the cooker!)
Right, thanks for all the replies, I have upgraded to amazon prime free one month trial and have ordered the polti as we've both now agreed that something a bit more heavy duty than a mop is what we need. Yes there was some sorrow when the polti did not come in a pink colour way! Lol
Mark2111

Right, thanks for all the replies, I have upgraded to amazon prime free … Right, thanks for all the replies, I have upgraded to amazon prime free one month trial and have ordered the polti as we've both now agreed that something a bit more heavy duty than a mop is what we need. Yes there was some sorrow when the polti did not come in a pink colour way! Lol

Use it everywhere - you will see a difference and also less cleaners like bleach etc

Get replacement pads or use old tshirts or towels - open windows when in use to reduce condensation. Remember to test your carpet first. Then when ready and fully heated point the nozzle across the carpet pile with a cloth to catch the muck. After a few seconds slowly increase the angle to force the steam into the fibres.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants