Groups

Steam now giving refunds for No Mans Sky (regardless of hours played)

Thank the Government for their new digital rights law

all you have to say is about your consumer rights act 2015, and the game is not as advertised (at all) and you will get a refund

obviously the word is out so everyone will be doing it, so make sure you quote the new digital rights law

40 Comments

Banned

Could you talk me through the procedure to get a refund please

Original Poster

cchopps

Could you talk me through the procedure to get a refund please

Navigate to Steam Help (help.steampowered.com) and log in with your Steam account.
    After you have logged in, click on A Purchase.
    Find the purchase you would like to refund and click on it. ...
    Select the problem you are having with the product.
    Next, click I'd like to request a refund.

Banned

Only being offered refunded to steam wallet rather than card. Is that normal?

Editor

Aeschylus

Navigate to Steam Help (help.steampowered.com) and log in with your Steam … Navigate to Steam Help (help.steampowered.com) and log in with your Steam account.After you have logged in, click on A Purchase.Find the purchase you would like to refund and click on it. ...Select the problem you are having with the product.Next, click I'd like to request a refund.

Would also add that it helps to be descriptive of the game issues you are having, for better success. Blank refunds tend to get rejected a lot more.

Original Poster

msmyth

Would also add that it helps to be descriptive of the game issues you are … Would also add that it helps to be descriptive of the game issues you are having, for better success. Blank refunds tend to get rejected a lot more.

yes you need to quote it was sold not as described (even the trailer on steam shows the game not as it is) and due to the digital consumer act 2015 you are evoking your legal right to a refund
    Edited by: "Aeschylus" 28th Aug 2016

Perhaps this maybe of use to the disgruntled.

onemanslie.info/

How is it not as advertised? Really confused... The only thing they've been a bit shady about is the 'multiplayer'

Original Poster

mentriax

How is it not as advertised? Really confused... The only thing they've … How is it not as advertised? Really confused... The only thing they've been a bit shady about is the 'multiplayer'

seriously? you been under a rock? it is nothing like promised, they simply copied and pasted planets....with minor changes and if you want to know what happens when you reach the centre of the galaxy! (I wont spoil it)

suppose this doesn't work for playstation does it?

Aeschylus

seriously? you been under a rock? it is nothing like promised, they … seriously? you been under a rock? it is nothing like promised, they simply copied and pasted planets....with minor changes and if you want to know what happens when you reach the centre of the galaxy! (I wont spoil it)

​does Bill Bailey take his clothes off and climb into a hot tub?

Original Poster

UnhappyGamer

suppose this doesn't work for playstation does it?

It does

Aeschylus

It does

​best news I've heard all week

I used the Consumers rights act to get a refund on WRC 5. Best thing to happen for games consumers as it (theoretically) stops them releasing unfinished rubbish.

UnhappyGamer

​best news I've heard all week

It does!!? Proof?

think id be able to get a refund on fifa 16 fifa points with this due to a game breaking glitch found go back multiple fifas

Original Poster

jjmmww1

think id be able to get a refund on fifa 16 fifa points with this due to … think id be able to get a refund on fifa 16 fifa points with this due to a game breaking glitch found go back multiple fifas

No

jjmmww1

think id be able to get a refund on fifa 16 fifa points with this due to … think id be able to get a refund on fifa 16 fifa points with this due to a game breaking glitch found go back multiple fifas

Yes, there are threads on Reddit regarding this although it does require some perseverance and patience.

Sony refund here

playstation.com/en-…rm/

select 'Playstation Network & Account'

From the reason select 'refund request'

What i said.

I am formally requesting a refund for the game 'NO MANS SKY' which I purchased on 'insert date'.

I feel this game was mis-sold and misrepresented in promotional materials, it was not as described and I feel I was lied to about the features and gameplay that would be available in this game, I am claiming this under the 'Consumer Acts Right of 2015', which I believe you have a legal obligation to uphold.

My request is made without any malice and i wish to continue to be a customer of Sony, I trust you will respond prompt and positively to this request.

Thank You.

Original Poster

haritori

Sony refund … Sony refund herehttps://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/contact-form/select 'Playstation Network & Account'From the reason select 'refund request'What i said.I am formally requesting a refund for the game 'NO MANS SKY' which I purchased on 'insert date'.I feel this game was mis-sold and misrepresented in promotional materials, it was not as described and I feel I was lied to about the features and gameplay that would be available in this game, I am claiming this under the 'Consumer Acts Right of 2015', which I believe you have a legal obligation to uphold.My request is made without any malice and i wish to continue to be a customer of Sony, I trust you will respond prompt and positively to this request.Thank You.

When I use to work in a similar field you would not believe the amount of people who would copy and paste a letter like you wrote and did not put their own details....like 'insert date' would still be the same

Lost most of my faith in humanity

Aeschylus

When I use to work in a similar field you would not believe the amount of … When I use to work in a similar field you would not believe the amount of people who would copy and paste a letter like you wrote and did not put their own details....like 'insert date' would still be the sameLost most of my faith in humanity

I know what you mean I used to work in debt recovery many years ago, and it was the same letter from MSE or Citizens advice lol.

Great, could Valve have a quick word with Sony now?

Jamie724

Yes, there are threads on Reddit regarding this although it does require … Yes, there are threads on Reddit regarding this although it does require some perseverance and patience.

​cheers might give it a try

Can't seem to get the live chat to pop up. Anyone else had success?

Isnt hello games uk based? Its funny they are getting screwed by a law they should know about, I dare say they are finished as a company and will have to close doors restructure and come back under a new name for a clean slate.

Original Poster

Error440

Isnt hello games uk based? Its funny they are getting screwed by a law … Isnt hello games uk based? Its funny they are getting screwed by a law they should know about, I dare say they are finished as a company and will have to close doors restructure and come back under a new name for a clean slate.

A poster on Neo-Gaf summed it up perfectly...

Shaun could disappear for 10 years, as soon as he sticks his head out the door again, someone will bring this up with him straight away, this game will haunt him....

Edited by: "Aeschylus" 29th Aug 2016

I've successfully got a refund through Steam. I'd played for around 6 hours.

Out of curiosity, is this still partly due to people having problems running the game, or is it primarily the 18 quintillion planets actually being 20 planets plus copy / pasting?

Original Poster

Quietus

Out of curiosity, is this still partly due to people having problems … Out of curiosity, is this still partly due to people having problems running the game, or is it primarily the 18 quintillion planets actually being 20 planets plus copy / pasting?

the latter, and all the lies and trailers showing stuff that is not in the game

Aeschylus

the latter, and all the lies and trailers showing stuff that is not in … the latter, and all the lies and trailers showing stuff that is not in the game

Just to add a bit more to this, I made a simplified list of things which I'm reasonably sure are not in the game that were heavily advertised and are pretty cut and dry.

Of course I am aware that development changes and 1 feature needing to be removed might affect others. To that I would say 1) they should have communicated that - so far they have been incredibly vague and misleading 2) there are far too many game defining features which have been omitted (more than just this list by the way).

1) The loss of planetary physics, which were said to govern many different systems, seemingly in a cascading effect from the top down
    2) The retooling of ships to make them all functionally identical, rather than having different classes for different playstyles, essentially homogenizing ship play into a single playstyle
    3) Landing on Asteroids
    4) Destroying Space Stations And Fleets
    5) Large Freighters Actually Moving
    6) Trade Ships Docking w/ Freighters
    7) NPC Ships Launching From The Ground
    8] In-Atmosphere Freighters w/ Battling
    9) Ringed Planets
    10) Planets Rotating and Orbiting Around a Sun
    11) The Technical Possibility of Flying Between Star Systems Manually
    12) Naming Ships
    13) Resources Depending On Distance From Sun
    14) Find Elements By Checking Galactic Map
    15) Large Creatures Affecting the Landscape
    16) Crashed Freighters
    17) Portals (possibly). It's hard to say.
    18) Maintaining Wanted Level Indoors
    19) Ambient Walker Sentinels
    20) Being Able To See and Play With Other Players
    21) Hacking Reinforced Doors
    22) Radio Chatter
    23) Translucent Glass On Starships

-----

Steam seem to be clamping down on people requesting a refund who have played more than 2 hours. I requested one after having played [quite a lot of undisclosed hours :P) and they said no even after I mentioned my rights and that playtime is irrelevant where false advertisement is concerned. It is also a pretty big game so you can not reasonably test it through 2 hours of gameplay.
    Edited by: "Legendaryjordan" 30th Aug 2016

Legendaryjordan

Steam seem to be clamping down on people requesting a refund who have … Steam seem to be clamping down on people requesting a refund who have played more than 2 hours. I requested one after having played [quite a lot of undisclosed hours :P) and they said no even after I mentioned my rights and that playtime is irrelevant where false advertisement is concerned. It is also a pretty big game so you can not reasonably test it through 2 hours of gameplay.

That's actually disappointing, as I suspect I'd be in the same boat. I didn't really head into space until well past 30 hours. I've deliberately been avoiding press about the game, so as not to spoil anything, and now I find that a lot of the stuff I was looking forward to no longer exists.:(

Love the game on ps4, never had a crash or an issue. Looking forward in the collapse in PC pricing though so I can get a copy for my steam account.

I wish I could get refunds for everything that is hyped, movies, games consoles and lots of electronic gear that never operated quite as well as expected/claimed.

Quietus

Out of curiosity, is this still partly due to people having problems … Out of curiosity, is this still partly due to people having problems running the game, or is it primarily the 18 quintillion planets actually being 20 planets plus copy / pasting?

​For me, it was the instability of the game. The constant crash to desktop after every few minutes made the game unplayable. The lack of content was secondary to the decision to get a refund, but still relevant. The game didn't feel remotely like a AAA release to justify the price for me.

What about physical ps4 copies?

bonzobanana

Love the game on ps4, never had a crash or an issue. Looking forward in … Love the game on ps4, never had a crash or an issue. Looking forward in the collapse in PC pricing though so I can get a copy for my steam account. I wish I could get refunds for everything that is hyped, movies, games consoles and lots of electronic gear that never operated quite as well as expected/claimed.

There's a difference between hype and blatant lying - the developers constantly talked about features that aren't in the game and when asked questions directly about multiplayer, they lied about that as well. It's not unusual for some games to lose some features on release but in this case, it was most of the core features that were missing and the final release was a £20 Early Access game so it's no surprise people are wanting refunds.

John

Yeah still don't understand why they didn't offer a statement about missing features and when they would be added. The approach seemed reckless to say the least. Also seems unfair with people clocking up many 10's of hours getting refunds. I've paid good money for games with short campaigns that finish in 4-5hrs and never got refunded. Not sure how many hours I've put into NMS now, off the top of my head 25-40hrs I'd guess.

bonzobanana

Yeah still don't understand why they didn't offer a statement about … Yeah still don't understand why they didn't offer a statement about missing features and when they would be added. The approach seemed reckless to say the least. Also seems unfair with people clocking up many 10's of hours getting refunds. I've paid good money for games with short campaigns that finish in 4-5hrs and never got refunded. Not sure how many hours I've put into NMS now, off the top of my head 25-40hrs I'd guess.

I put about 4-5 hours into it and well its just the universe is very samey where ever i got, how many quintillion planets and a variety of about 20. its also the most linear open universe game ever!

any body know what percentage of players have got a refund or will we never know?

Editor

haritori

I put about 4-5 hours into it and well its just the universe is very … I put about 4-5 hours into it and well its just the universe is very samey where ever i got, how many quintillion planets and a variety of about 20. its also the most linear open universe game ever!

Have you had your refund yet? Submitted the form on Sunday and still nothing!

Just received a response from Sony after a week of waiting.

"Hi Jamie,

We have reviewed your refund request for your purchase of No Man’s Sky.

We are aware of comments online from some players expressing disappointment with the release features of No Man’s Sky. During the development process, the game changed and evolved based on thousands of hours of user testing and feedback on what worked and what didn’t to bring you the best gameplay experience and the most fun. Hello Games made choices during this development which they believed would provide the best experience for the players. No Man’s Sky was intended to be something unique, vast and inventive, and we feel Hello Games delivered that. They are also working to ensure that No Man’s Sky will continue to evolve and benefit from new features over the coming months, and as such, we are not making any exceptions to our standard refund policy.

As per that refund policy, any games, game add-ons, season passes, in-game consumables or PlayStation® Video titles that have started being downloaded or streamed are not eligible for a refund.

As you have already downloaded No Man’s Sky, we will not be issuing a refund for this purchase.

You can read our full policy here; PlayStation Store cancellation policy

If you have any other questions in the future, feel free to drop us a line.

Thanks

PlayStation Support"

Safe to say they received a reply equating to a novel about how much drivel was in their response.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Battery drain on iOS 111112
      2. Extractor fan blown? (excuse the pun)11
      3. Biscuit addiction1954
      4. Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?11

See more discussions