Steel core mains cable vs copper

Found 29th Oct 2017
I've got a fluorescent strip light in the attic which was connected to a mains plug. I've put a light switch in serious with it so I don't need to hunt for the mains socket.
On stripping the cable I found it to be 3 core steel instead of copper. I've heard of armoured cable but this is different, is this for an external cable or just a cheaper way of doing it ?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I've heard of aluminium cable, maybe it's that, not sure if there is some difference in termination as it has more creep
matth999942 m ago

I've heard of aluminium cable, maybe it's that, not sure if there is some …I've heard of aluminium cable, maybe it's that, not sure if there is some difference in termination as it has more creep

Thanks for your reply.
The metal seems too strong to be aluminium which is like copper, at 1st I thought it was oxidised copper until I got a good look at it. The plug it was in was weird inside aswell as instead of the wires going through the pins as in a normal plug it wrapped around top of the pin and was screwed down.

32334271-8ESsq.jpg
flameport.com/ele…cs4

Only thing I can think of is that it's some seriously old tech. On checking out this website I found out the plug is called a Post terminal plug as opposed to the Pillar type I've used in the past.
If it's just from a fluorescent tube to the plug can't you just replace the cable for copper?.
Regarding the plug, most of them were like that years ago, fiddly and time consuming to terminate, I was glad when the modern sort came along.
Regarding the cable, could it be tinned stranded copper? That was used a lot years ago, and when it gets old and tarnished it goes a dull grey steel-like colour. I've never come across steel conductors in domestic wiring, I would have thought it would be far too stiff to terminate inside switches, plugs, etc.
ScubaDudes1 h, 41 m ago

If it's just from a fluorescent tube to the plug can't you just replace …If it's just from a fluorescent tube to the plug can't you just replace the cable for copper?.

The cable seems fine so I don't want to play with it too much, just came as a surprise to find that type of cable.
Delbert.Grady1 h, 4 m ago

Regarding the plug, most of them were like that years ago, fiddly and time …Regarding the plug, most of them were like that years ago, fiddly and time consuming to terminate, I was glad when the modern sort came along.Regarding the cable, could it be tinned stranded copper? That was used a lot years ago, and when it gets old and tarnished it goes a dull grey steel-like colour. I've never come across steel conductors in domestic wiring, I would have thought it would be far too stiff to terminate inside switches, plugs, etc.

I think you're right, never thought of it as being tinned cable as I've only seen it used in damp places, speaker cable and project cables but I guess an attic would be a good place aswell
Why did the light switch get so serious with the light,
Diy electrics, most mess it up then call me to rectify.
benrobertsno11 h, 51 m ago

Why did the light switch get so serious with the light,Diy electrics, most …Why did the light switch get so serious with the light,Diy electrics, most mess it up then call me to rectify.

Not sure what you mean ?
kester7640 m ago

Not sure what you mean ?

Suggest you re-read your description (at the top) and check for spilling musticks
kester7641 m ago

Not sure what you mean ?

I've put a light switch in serious with it so I don't need to hunt for the mains socket.
ScubaDudes1 h, 11 m ago

I've put a light switch in serious with it so I don't need to hunt for the …I've put a light switch in serious with it so I don't need to hunt for the mains socket.

Lol, series. Must of swiped the wrong button when entering it. Atleast I didn't put cereal in there
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants