Groups

Stereo upmix to 5.1/7.1 in Windows 10

If I have my 7.1 speakers set to 7.1 in Windows. 7.1 movies play at 7.1, 5.1 tv shows play at 5.1 and vlc media player when told to will upmix 2.0 music to 7.1 and they will play at 7.1.
    If I want to watch a video on Youtube using Chrome it sends 2.0 to the Sony amp (DA2400ES) and there is no possible way to make it upmix to 5.1/7.1 without going into the speaker options and telling Windows that I only have stereo speakers. This makes the amp stereo upmix by itself. When I have Windows set to 7.1 and play a video on Youtube the amp gets 8 channels of sound from Windows, but all are blank apart from the Left and Right channels so it only plays 2.0 because it doesn't think it has to upmix because it thinks it's already getting 7.1.
    Really I need Windows to play everything how it is apart from 2.0, which I want upmixing to 5.1 or 7.1.
    I'm using audio over hdmi from a AMD 290X and I think a dedicated soundcard would probably give me some audio fill options, this one doesn't.

Any ideas?

7 Comments

Browsers are a bit behind with their media playback options. Looking it up Chrome does provide this option but hides it away in the advanced settings. It's the #try-supported-channel-layouts flag.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves3 h, 42 m ago

Browsers are a bit behind with their media playback options. Looking it up …Browsers are a bit behind with their media playback options. Looking it up Chrome does provide this option but hides it away in the advanced settings. It's the #try-supported-channel-layouts flag.

Can't remember if I've tried that one, will give it a go when I get home.

MIDURIX

Can't remember if I've tried that one, will give it a go when I get home.

​Dolby Digital Live. Just bitstream to the AMP.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Browsers are a bit behind with their media playback options. Looking it … Browsers are a bit behind with their media playback options. Looking it up Chrome does provide this option but hides it away in the advanced settings. It's the #try-supported-channel-layouts flag.

Just checked and I enabled that this morning. Have read that Chrome will send 6 channel audio, but with most channels just blank.

Original Poster

kester76

Dolby Digital Live. Just bitstream to the AMP.

What do you mean?
    My amp will only upmix if it gets stereo and unfortunately Chrome sends 6 channels (albeit with 4 blank) to the amp, so the amp doesn't think it needs to upmix. Or at least that's what i think is happening.
    edit: i can already output master / hd audio to the amp through the hdmi cable, so i think Dolby Digital Live would be a downgrade using spdif
    Edited by: "MIDURIX" 10th Jun

Found this...
    productforums.google.com/forum/!topic/chrome/bskC-dMyp7E
    Mentions a few options, the Chrome tweak, one with Creative Alchemy, and one with Realtek.

Now the AMD uses a Realtek, so maybe the "ATI HDMI Audio device" from here realtek.com/dow…lse - bit old though, might add the speaker fill option

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Browsers are a bit behind with their media playback options. Looking it … Browsers are a bit behind with their media playback options. Looking it up Chrome does provide this option but hides it away in the advanced settings. It's the #try-supported-channel-layouts flag.

After doing this and a slight amd update it actually works. 'A.F.D Auto' on the amp it plays youtube as stereo and if I switch to 'E.SURROUND' it upmixes to 7.1. Thin it just needed a few restarts to get it going. splendid
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions