Stick a rear dashcam on rear plastic headliner

Found 11th JulEdited by:"canada16"
2981403-SxCxr.jpg
THIS TYPE OF PLASTIC BUT ITS ON THE TOP REAR BY REAR WINDOW

Hey, I have tried 3M, super glue and hard as nails but my camera will not stay up even though its quite light.

The problem is the rear plastic head liner is like that alligator type plastic, its not smooth and it keeps falling off.

I don't want to put it on the window due to tinted windows, also you cant hide the wires and looks terrible from the inside and out.

Is there anything I can use that will guarantee it to stick but wont cause damage if I take it off and replace the camera.

I have tried 3 different types of 3m stickers but because its bumpy it refuses to stick.

I have not tried gorilla tape as I can imagine it will have the same result.

Its the very rear just after the fabric headliner

Any help would be grateful
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Good double sided tape will do that no problem. Where did you get the 3m stuff - was it really 3m?
try this :
toolstation.com/sho…962

Make sure the surface is clean first - I'd wipe over with ipa
Edited by: "mas99" 11th Jul
Yeah its really 3M and its sticky as white on rice, I have issues if it got stuck on my finger lol.

Everything was spotless but everything has fell off so far.

I don't want to use Gorilla Glue as it seems to expand and will look terrible.
Command strips - then use a flossing cotton when you wish to remove it.

34313743-nmvU6.jpg
Tried command as well, they fell off after 2 seconds.

Starting to think I will have to ditch the rear camera.

I have it as I work for a insurance company and get paranoid due to all the accidents I see
canada163 m ago

Tried command as well, they fell off after 2 seconds.Starting to think I …Tried command as well, they fell off after 2 seconds.Starting to think I will have to ditch the rear camera.I have it as I work for a insurance company and get paranoid due to all the accidents I see

Suction cup on window. Just because you have tints, it won't pull it off if it's good quality tint and done properly.
What style of camera is it?
I was going to set my rear camera the same as my front. This is my front, wires are all hidden along the top of the windscreen. This is the BlackVue DR600, once it’s mounted to the screen the camera angle can be adjusted by twisting.

34313891.jpg
Edited by: "jayonline85" 11th Jul
I have no issues with the front, this is a DOD camera and cost quite a bit.

The rear is a Lightning deal, was 50.00 down to 25.00 but its been solid.

I can use the suctions but the wires wont hide and can see it bunched up in the rear and looks horrible.

Also because the DAB is on the rear window (antenna) the reception is terrible, this is why I was it on the back instead of the window. This does not affect the DAB
If you've tried decent stuff and it isnt working then I'd say def clean it I't might have been cleaned with something that has left a residue that stops the adhesive taking.
Washed my car that day, also I only use a very damp warm soft cloth with plain water. I don't like using chemicals on my plastics

Has anyone actually tried gorilla tape or that T-REX tape on this type of plastic. I am willing to try more stuff if its a clean install, just don't want gorilla glue as seen pictures as it expands like crazy.

My only other option is to maybe drill two small holes and can use that permanently if I need to change my camera, also can fill in if I ever sell it.
Sticky backed Velcro is very strong, I put our flyscreens up with it on the outside of the doorframes and it lasted a few years before it needed replacing.
Hey as above I have already tried Velcro command trips, because its not a smooth surface nothing seems to stick from:
Command Strips
3 types of 3M sticky pads
No More Nails
Superglue

I have zip ties, may be able to thread it between the plastic liner and back around, but this may not be as stable and may get a lot of shaking when driving.
I have tinted windows and my cam has been on the window with 3m for over 3yrs. I had occasion to take it off once a year ago and the residue glue is easily wiped off with white spirit and a razor blade. Hasn't left a mark, so unless your tint is that cheap stick on stuff its no problem. As for the cable run it behind the headliner.
canada167 h, 2 m ago

Washed my car that day, also I only use a very damp warm soft cloth with …Washed my car that day, also I only use a very damp warm soft cloth with plain water. I don't like using chemicals on my plasticsHas anyone actually tried gorilla tape or that T-REX tape on this type of plastic. I am willing to try more stuff if its a clean install, just don't want gorilla glue as seen pictures as it expands like crazy.My only other option is to maybe drill two small holes and can use that permanently if I need to change my camera, also can fill in if I ever sell it.

Isopropyl alcohol doesn't normally harm plastics, but should remove silicones left by polish and cleaners, and grease etc to give your tape a chance of sticking. If you apply glue and it sticks it will leave a permanent mess (even worse than a small screw hole) if you remove the mount, and superglue will even dissolve some types of plastic.

Couldn't you make or adapt some sort of clip to attach to the edge of the headlining.
A small self tapping screw between the bracket and the plastic will do no harm and leave virtually no trace
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions