Stilton cheese question..

Found 6th Jan 2012
I have some stilton cheese thats sell by date is the 5th of jan 2012 is it safe to eat still it has also gone a bit dry in places it has always been kept in the fridge.

Thanks
Community Updates
23 Comments
Sell by date....clue is in the name!
It will be fine, plus the 5th was only 31 minutes ago haha
Sniff it; if it smells OK it will be OK ..... allowing for the not very wonderful aroma of Stilton that is.
It's cheese, of course it will be OK.

Why does " mature " cheese cost more than standard cheese?

Because it is older.
If anything you shouldn't have eaten it before the 5th
Sell by......not use by? I would eat it if you've had it in the fridge.
It has to be at least 9 weeks old before it leaves the factory.
After hearing some of the tales my Dad has told me about how my Gran kept food - she used to cook a ham for christmas and it then sat on the dresser for over two weeks, still being eaten! (Dad's 85 yrs old and will outlive us all!) I use my nose and rarely bother with sell by dates. If it smells OK, it generally is (shellfish is my only exception!)

As the other guys have said, Stilton freezes really well.
Indeed, what on earth did people do before we had all of these " dated " products?
Inactive

Indeed, what on earth did people do before we had all of these " dated " … Indeed, what on earth did people do before we had all of these " dated " products?

Died younger oO
CloudCuckooLand

After hearing some of the tales my Dad has told me about how my Gran kept … After hearing some of the tales my Dad has told me about how my Gran kept food - she used to cook a ham for christmas and it then sat on the dresser for over two weeks, still being eaten! (Dad's 85 yrs old and will outlive us all!) I use my nose and rarely bother with sell by dates. If it smells OK, it generally is (shellfish is my only exception!) As the other guys have said, Stilton freezes really well.

I cook a ham and leave it on the side. I'm still alive. Don't agree with freezing any sort of cheese though. Stilton should be left to turn into alien blood acid. If it don't burn the lips it ain't ready X)
Dehumanization

Died younger oO

not by eating mature cheese.. (_;)
I've got a brie in the fridge, use by 2/1/12. Forgot all about it. Probably have that over the weekend.
My Daughter made me laugh, she said; " Dad, throw that cheese away, it has mould on it ".

I had to break it to her gently that it would have had far more on it before it left the factory.:)
Get it rammed in yer lips.
good on burgers
My Dad used to leave his in the fridge for months. Only ate it if it stunk the whole fridge out.
I have got a large stilton as well. Supposedly to use by today. Things like a stamped on date dont bother me. You have to use your own judgement.
As Bossy says Stilton freezes well so I may cut it into more useable size chunks and freeze what is not likely to be used soon.
I thought a kg of stilton in a wicker basket was a good buy
It helps me get bargains when others are too scared to use their own judgement
Edited by: "WoolyM" 6th Jan 2012
Dont eat it YOU WILL DIE !
Some blue cheeses can be bought with instructions to leave it to go mouldier for a stronger taste.

Besides isn't stilton mould related to penicillin?
hooray henry

Dont eat it YOU WILL DIE !

So will you one day. But at least I will die happy X)
Just had a 6 months over the sell by date and it is great!
Kildybildy

Just had a 6 months over the sell by date and it is great!

Just opened some cheddar that has a Nov 2011 date and still living atm

If you dont see me anymore, let that be a warning to the rest of you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants