Found 3rd Feb 2009
I left the windows of my car open several weeks ago and the rain got in and drenched everything. It appears to have dried out, apart from the constant condensation. However, I just can't get rid of the stench of what smells like sour milk.

Any thoughts?

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
18 Comments

It is really difficult to get rid of without lifting the carpets. It took me a few weeks by continuously daubing the carpet with carpet freshener and clothes freshener.

Put loads of tissue under the rubber mat to soak up any moisture left.

Try bicarbonate of soda, neutralises smells!

yes get it cleaned by a valet company cost's but worth it in the long run:thumbsup:

Would it be worth paying to get it professionally valeted maybe?

I did this before Christmas overnight when it was snowing :x

Kept heaters on full blast towards feet and drove around with windows slightly open so all moisture could escape with hot air. Did the trick, but took a week or two for the condensation to go away.

what about that foam cleaning thing you can get....not sure what it is but its advertised on the telly...also perhaps clean the roof while your at it, aparently the fibres in the roof hold odours

buy a new car

Original Poster

Hughsee;4271121

buy a new car

:w00t:

Get youself a sack of bbq charcoal, split open the bag and leave in the boot/rear of car.....
Will take a while but apparently the carbon soaks up the smell. :-D

Also if you have a garage or driveway you could hire a dehumidifier, left on all night should do the trick....

White vinegar soaks up smells really well, leave some in a bowl overnight for a few nights

We burnt dry a lamb bone at christmas and the smell was horrendous but the vinegar did get rid of it

cuzzy;4271179

Get youself a sack of bbq charcoal, split open the bag and leave in the … Get youself a sack of bbq charcoal, split open the bag and leave in the boot/rear of car..... Will take a while but apparently the carbon soaks up the smell. :-D Also if you have a garage or driveway you could hire a dehumidifier, left on all night should do the trick....

you,ve been watching "how clean is your house" seen that mentioned on last weeks episode and apparently it really works so i would give it ago before paying someone to vallet my car:thumbsup:

Banned

Drive to somewhere hot, like Africa.......have you got a satnav?

paulam;4271282

you,ve been watching "how clean is your house" seen that mentioned on … you,ve been watching "how clean is your house" seen that mentioned on last weeks episode and apparently it really works so i would give it ago before paying someone to vallet my car:thumbsup:

No, not seen it on TV..... one of parents tips, it does work. :thumbsup:

i would try the white vinegar it helped when bottle of milk got spilt in my car

I spilt a whole bottle of water in my car a little while ago and had this horrible smell. Took the mat out and brought it in to dry it out properly by the fire, and also put the heaters on full blast towards feet whenever I was driving around. Took a week or so but smell is gone now.

Febreze? Although I would prefer the smell of sick tbh :lol:

leave it running for hours with the heater on full pelt and window cracked down a touch to get shut of the condensation, i used to valet cars and this is by far the most effective way to do it, it will need hours though!!

fill your car with rice
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4711606
    2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would35145
    3. UBER can be a waste of money1223
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769252

See more discussions