Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Stock market help (beginner)

Posted 19th Mar
Advice to what companies you expecting to go down for (the day ) so I sell (short) this is just to make a bit off money today (not long term).

I am new to this so any help is much appreciated and website I should use or videos I should watch to have an estimate for what happened to a share.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Probably not a good shout to invest if you have to ask for advice on here. Not the place, especially if you “need” the money. It’s a gamble at the end of the day
25 Comments
Probably not a good shout to invest if you have to ask for advice on here. Not the place, especially if you “need” the money. It’s a gamble at the end of the day
Thanks anyway
BettySwollocks09819/03/2020 08:58

Probably not a good shout to invest if you have to ask for advice on here. …Probably not a good shout to invest if you have to ask for advice on here. Not the place, especially if you “need” the money. It’s a gamble at the end of the day

In any stock market crashes/downturns there will be people who will make a lot of money.If you are new to investing it will not be you, especially in the short term.
this is time for long term investing as everything has taken a hammering I'd say go for the big boys like Microsoft , Apple , Amazon, as these have already lost loads but have the funds to ride it out and should recover. This is the time to look at long term graphs, say over a 5 year period, to see if you spot anything you can make money on. As always seek independent advice and do your own research
as someone who invests heavily in the stock market, i would seriously advice you to stay away from it. it is carnage in there at the moment and even those experienced are losing money like there is no tomorrow so for a beginner you are looking at certain loss.

i make money from the market panicking over something or other and even i am losing money like i am losing water from a leaked bucket. now is the time to hold cash as in this environment you need to make sure you have enough money for the bad times. i am not putting any more money into the stock market now, irrespective of how low it gets. i am going to start hoarding cash in this uncertain environment.
mutley119/03/2020 10:28

as someone who invests heavily in the stock market, i would seriously …as someone who invests heavily in the stock market, i would seriously advice you to stay away from it. it is carnage in there at the moment and even those experienced are losing money like there is no tomorrow so for a beginner you are looking at certain loss.i make money from the market panicking over something or other and even i am losing money like i am losing water from a leaked bucket. now is the time to hold cash as in this environment you need to make sure you have enough money for the bad times. i am not putting any more money into the stock market now, irrespective of how low it gets. i am going to start hoarding cash in this uncertain environment.

WHich comany do you use to buy your shares
niffer119/03/2020 15:09

WHich comany do you use to buy your shares

i used fidelity when i first started out but they aren't really a trading platform, more an investment platform so now i use hargreaves lansdowne. they are very good in my experience with low fees and very good platform for trading.

i have chosen hargeaves because i believe they are a safe company to hold money with as i sit in cash until the market worries and i only ever buy stocks when the market worries. when i sit in cash, there is a lot of cash with hargreaves so if they go under, i would lose the cash as cash is not protected if the platform provider goes under. so to me it is not just about cheap dealing fees, but more important than that is how safe do i think the platform provider is to leave huge amount of cash with them.
Just send me your money - it will be an easier way to lose it.

The market is hugely volatile; pro traders, AIs, robots are all trading faster than you can with lower overheads, better information.
It is possible to make money but as soon as you touch derivatives it is easy to lose everything (and more).

This is not the time to play in the hope of a fast win. If you're seeing some super trader on instagram or whatever - they are liars.
mutley119/03/2020 10:28

as someone who invests heavily in the stock market,

You're getting more and more like Little Britain every day, 'I'm the only investor in the village'
OP - although I have advised you not to get involved at the moment, when we are back to normal, stocks and shares are still a good investment but you would need to learn about it and understand it before investing in it as it doesn't really work if you are not prepared or able to learn, but if you do then it can be reawarding.

however there is still risks there so you do need to understand what it is you are risking.
mutley119/03/2020 19:20

OP - although I have advised you not to get involved at the moment, when …OP - although I have advised you not to get involved at the moment, when we are back to normal, stocks and shares are still a good investment but you would need to learn about it and understand it before investing in it as it doesn't really work if you are not prepared or able to learn, but if you do then it can be reawarding. however there is still risks there so you do need to understand what it is you are risking.

Thank you for the advice.
I’m just watching YouTube videos about it
And I just put in a small amount (am willing to loss) in for me to get the hang off it
BettySwollocks09819/03/2020 08:58

Probably not a good shout to invest if you have to ask for advice on here. …Probably not a good shout to invest if you have to ask for advice on here. Not the place, especially if you “need” the money. It’s a gamble at the end of the day

Not really that helpful to be honest also this Community is very large and people here are helpful so no harm in asking but thanks any way
Edited by: "Kingboom" 19th Mar
Kingboom19/03/2020 19:23

Thank you for the advice. I’m just watching YouTube videos about itAnd I j …Thank you for the advice. I’m just watching YouTube videos about itAnd I just put in a small amount (am willing to loss) in for me to get the hang off it

without a doubt there is a lot of money to be made. but it is risky. if you learn about it then you can minimise risks and you choose stocks that are suitable to the risks that you personally want to take. it is not easy as there is a lot to learn and finding information is not easy.

however you should start out in better times when the market is more stable and so you have more of a chance of making money. in a stable market, as long as you choose a safe fund or one that spreads the risks, then you can just sit tight and wait for it to grow, like growing a plant. you may not get a huge return, but you will get something that is better than the piddly interest rates at the moment.

i would say learn to understand what 'risks' mean in trading and get a feel for it. learn the terminology as you need to have a basic investment vocabulary of all the words that investors use to explain things. you need to be able to work out for yourself by doing your own analysis as to which fund or share are good value and much risks are involved in holding them. when is the correct price to buy and when is the correct price to sell. this is how you make money, but also this is how you lose money as your calculations may be wrong or your assumptions and expectations do not pan out.

good luck, but yes keep learning. it is a very interesting subject.
mutley119/03/2020 19:33

without a doubt there is a lot of money to be made. but it is risky. if …without a doubt there is a lot of money to be made. but it is risky. if you learn about it then you can minimise risks and you choose stocks that are suitable to the risks that you personally want to take. it is not easy as there is a lot to learn and finding information is not easy.however you should start out in better times when the market is more stable and so you have more of a chance of making money. in a stable market, as long as you choose a safe fund or one that spreads the risks, then you can just sit tight and wait for it to grow, like growing a plant. you may not get a huge return, but you will get something that is better than the piddly interest rates at the moment.i would say learn to understand what 'risks' mean in trading and get a feel for it. learn the terminology as you need to have a basic investment vocabulary of all the words that investors use to explain things. you need to be able to work out for yourself by doing your own analysis as to which fund or share are good value and much risks are involved in holding them. when is the correct price to buy and when is the correct price to sell. this is how you make money, but also this is how you lose money as your calculations may be wrong or your assumptions and expectations do not pan out.good luck, but yes keep learning. it is a very interesting subject.

Thank you very much for the advice I will use this time to learn and maybe start Putting real money in next year when the market should be come more stable as you said. ( hopefully the corvid 19 thing will end fast )(y)
Kingboom19/03/2020 19:24

Not really that helpful to be honest also this Community is very large and …Not really that helpful to be honest also this Community is very large and people here are helpful so no harm in asking but thanks any way

Yeah of course no harm in asking, just don’t want you losing money if you really “need” the money. If you’ve money to burn go ahead give it a shot, always be people happy to tell you how to spend your money as there is no risk for them!
Hard to say with short term, but mid term....

When my mum died I inherited shares with Santander. This was via a nominee service (equiniti).

The share price was around £3 each when inherited and months later was at £5, I cashed out.

Santander shares have slumped now bigtime to £1.86, probably due to the coronavirus. You can imagine by the end of the year it will be business as usual or at very least be up to £3. It's not going to crash into oblivion and they vanish out of business.

Surely a guaranteed profit? Well... kind of.... There's fees to pay.

But....

The coronavirus is good for share buyers as prices crash? So buy em up and sell em on later.

I would confidently take a punt tomorrow on Santander at around the £1.86 mark. I know trading has it's risks but it's going to bounce back from that value. Historic figures show it. It wont be back to the 2009 figure of nearly £10 a share but certainly a figure of around £3 will happen.
Sparkz2k1619/03/2020 20:00

Hard to say with short term, but mid term....When my mum died I inherited …Hard to say with short term, but mid term....When my mum died I inherited shares with Santander. This was via a nominee service (equiniti). The share price was around £3 each when inherited and months later was at £5, I cashed out.Santander shares have slumped now bigtime to £1.86, probably due to the coronavirus. You can imagine by the end of the year it will be business as usual or at very least be up to £3. It's not going to crash into oblivion and they vanish out of business. Surely a guaranteed profit? Well... kind of.... There's fees to pay.But.... The coronavirus is good for share buyers as prices crash? So buy em up and sell em on later. I would confidently take a punt tomorrow on Santander at around the £1.86 mark. I know trading has it's risks but it's going to bounce back from that value. Historic figures show it. It wont be back to the 2009 figure of nearly £10 a share but certainly a figure of around £3 will happen.

I admire your optimism if nothing else
You sound like you have not done much trading and should you really be saying guaranteed profit, err no!
Edited by: "snoopy18" 19th Mar
snoopy1819/03/2020 21:40

I admire your optimism if nothing elseYou sound like you have not done …I admire your optimism if nothing elseYou sound like you have not done much trading and should you really be saying guaranteed profit, err no!

I haven't but look at the stats.

The last time Santander shares were down that low was around the 1990's.

Via the nominee service, people buying shares will get dividends. On 250 shares someone would get either 2 extra shares every 3 months, or the value of those shares paid in cash.

Are Santander going to go bust? No, there's such a slim chance it's negligible. What about the corona aftermath? Uncertainty, but the reality as said at the top, Santander shares are at the lowest since the 1990's:

40142585-NQle3.jpg

Santander will either suffer after the outbreak is over... Keep the shares longer.
It will peak a bit more, judge the right time to sell.

Or, if this virus doesn't cause as much damage as predicted, well, could be a tidy profit.

I didn't say "a guaranteed profit" but "surely a guaranteed profit" because the reality is, mid term it looks very likely, long term I can't see why not. If Santander did fold, then I feel as though at that point, the crisis would be so huge that the notes in your back pocket and money in the bank would be worth peanuts.
Edited by: "Sparkz2k16" 19th Mar
Sparkz2k1619/03/2020 21:56

I haven't but look at the stats.The last time Santander shares were down …I haven't but look at the stats.The last time Santander shares were down that low was around the 1990's. Via the nominee service, people buying shares will get dividends. On 250 shares someone would get either 2 extra shares every 3 months, or the value of those shares paid in cash.Are Santander going to go bust? No, there's such a slim chance it's negligible. What about the corona aftermath? Uncertainty, but the reality as said at the top, Santander shares are at the lowest since the 1990's:[Image] Santander will either suffer after the outbreak is over... Keep the shares longer.It will peak a bit more, judge the right time to sell.Or, if this virus doesn't cause as much damage as predicted, well, could be a tidy profit.I didn't say "a guaranteed profit" but "surely a guaranteed profit" because the reality is, mid term it looks very likely, long term I can't see why not. If Santander did fold, then I feel as though at that point, the crisis would be so huge that the notes in your back pocket and money in the bank would be worth peanuts.

History doesn’t dictate the future as Warren Buffet said
Other banks have folded, why is Santander so different?
Be interested to see some bank shares graphs from 2007 to now
snoopy1819/03/2020 22:11

History doesn’t dictate the future as Warren Buffet said Other banks have f …History doesn’t dictate the future as Warren Buffet said Other banks have folded, why is Santander so different?Be interested to see some bank shares graphs from 2007 to now

in the current crisis, anything can happen. big retail and investment banks have collapsed before in less distressing situations so no guarantee any of the banks is 100% safe.

i keep the limit to 85k in each bank but not at tesco bank as i think of them as pretty safe, but i have opened a yorkshire bank account today to move 85k from tesco bank over as in this environment, no single bank is safe.
Edited by: "mutley1" 19th Mar
snoopy1819/03/2020 22:11

History doesn’t dictate the future as Warren Buffet said Other banks have f …History doesn’t dictate the future as Warren Buffet said Other banks have folded, why is Santander so different?Be interested to see some bank shares graphs from 2007 to now

It appears already my Santander point has come true.

£1.86 yesterday. £1.93 currently as shown in my nominee account. It wasn't going to crash into oblivion from £1.86.

Most banks have had a crash since 2007 but we went see them dropping like flies overnight.
Sparkz2k1620/03/2020 08:49

It appears already my Santander point has come true. £1.86 yesterday. …It appears already my Santander point has come true. £1.86 yesterday. £1.93 currently as shown in my nominee account. It wasn't going to crash into oblivion from £1.86. Most banks have had a crash since 2007 but we went see them dropping like flies overnight.

Wergoing to be rich, thanks for sharing
Kingboom19/03/2020 19:39

Thank you very much for the advice I will use this time to learn and maybe …Thank you very much for the advice I will use this time to learn and maybe start Putting real money in next year when the market should be come more stable as you said. ( hopefully the corvid 19 thing will end fast )(y)

It is really interesting to read the stats on retail investing. regular traders mostly lose money. People who trade FX etc almost always lose money.

Unless you have inside knowledge of a specific sector I can give some advice.

Never buy AIM shares, especially oil/gas/mining.
Never buy trendy popular shares.
Whatever you think, you do not actually understand risk.

Do buy low fee trackers.
Research to make sure any fund is using an appropriate index metric. It is astounding how many funds manage to find an index to compare to that puts them in a good light. This can hide both performance failure and excessive risktaking.

Understand how the main indices are constructed and weighted.
Santander are flying now....

£2.23 a share. On my calculations that means.... If someone has bought it at the previous price I put here, it's now thereabouts 40p profit per share.

Potentially equiniti would have charged a £45 buying fee, but still, 200 shares @ £360ish (£405 with fee) = £446 current value (£41 profit). If anyone took the punt I'd keep them for another month or 2 where it's very likely to hit £2.80 a share. Decent.
the best way to make money in the stock market is to buy when the stocks are low and sell as they hit all time highs
that will guarantee your money

and remember, until you sell - you have not lost a penny
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants