Stockbroker Advice & a-little.

Found 21st Sep 2008
Hi guys I planned to get into the stock market and have been reading alot into so i know where I stand.

Just some questions: what is an IFA and I read the "Shares: The cheapest way to buy, sell and hold;" Article but it is updated yearly so are their any better guys to use as Stockbrokers as it may be out of date.

I know that its along term investment if you wish to see good returns, if any but the Article (on MSE) stated that Hoodless Brennan was the best suited for me, however I have herd that the following are also good:

Selftrade
TD Waterhouse
E-Trade
Hargreaves Landsdown
iii Interactive Investor
IWeb Share Dealing
ADVFN
Hoodless Brennan

I don't wish to be caught by any offers that have Low commission, high annual charge? As I don't know much I would be grateful for your advice.

Which one(s) of the above would you recommend & are any of the above stockbrokers doing offers at the moment?

Thanks in advance guys

Waqas

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
63 Comments

BG1 get in here.

Original Poster

I think he will be here soon, once he gets over every other person on this forum who has asked the same kind of questions lol.

All you need to know is buy low sell high, oh and listen to whatever advice BG1 gives you very carefully

..............so you know to do the exact opposite!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

waiting for the fun to begin here!

waqas;3019945

I think he will be here soon, once he gets over every other person on … I think he will be here soon, once he gets over every other person on this forum who has asked the same kind of questions lol.

Have to say, I haven't actually seen him help anyone on these threads, so I wouldn't hold out for too long :-D

Charlie&Lola;3019988

Have to say, I haven't actually seen him help anyone on these threads, so … Have to say, I haven't actually seen him help anyone on these threads, so I wouldn't hold out for too long :-D

I haven't actually seen him help anyone at all EVER!!!:p:-D:whistling::roll:

harlzter;3020001

I haven't actually seen him help anyone at all … I haven't actually seen him help anyone at all EVER!!!:p:-D:whistling::roll:

Fair do's, didn't actually think of that one, haha

Original Poster

I second that but any advice would help. I cant see him telling you what to do as its 'your' money and you have to decide what you want to do. all someone can do is give their advice/ opinions.

An IFA is an Independent Financial Advisor. I have friends who work as analysts with Hargreaves Lansdown and they have been pretty consistent over the last couple of years.

Original Poster

choc1969;3020073

An IFA is an Independent Financial Advisor. I have friends who work as … An IFA is an Independent Financial Advisor. I have friends who work as analysts with Hargreaves Lansdown and they have been pretty consistent over the last couple of years.

Thanks.

Ps

Try ]Unbiased to locate an IFA in your area. The site unbiased.co.uk is run by IFA Promotion Ltd, the industry body responsible for promoting independent financial advice in the UK.

Banned

harlzter;3020001

I haven't actually seen him help anyone at all … I haven't actually seen him help anyone at all EVER!!!:p:-D:whistling::roll:

There is a good reason for that! :w00t:

inb4 the gerbsters sound advice

Hoodless Brennan are generally the cheapest. Bad time to be getting into shares, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

Original Poster

yeah but the markets are realy low so in the long run, fingers crossed, a gain to be made.

waqas;3020414

yeah but the markets are realy low so in the long run, fingers crossed, a … yeah but the markets are realy low so in the long run, fingers crossed, a gain to be made.

I wouldn't be so sure mate, I would wait a while longer. They'll drop when companies start going bust and people start losing their jobs and interest rates start to rocket.

Original Poster

inflations up, more qualified people than jobs, interest rates should drop 0.25% within the next 2 months i think, as the markets all lean towards one and the pressure seems to be building up against the bank of England to do something.

waqas;3020524

inflations up, more qualified people than jobs, interest rates should … inflations up, more qualified people than jobs, interest rates should drop 0.25% within the next 2 months i think, as the markets all lean towards one and the pressure seems to be building up against the bank of England to do something.

Good luck to you mate, just remember what's happened to banks recently and how much more that's going to happen for a while. The worst is most certainly not over.

Original Poster

I agree on that.

I have previously used TD Waterhouse and Hargreaves Landsdown and can recommend them both.

Be prepared to lose some or all of your investment and only invest money that you're not depending on! I don't think now is a good time to invest in Stocks & Shares considering the current climate! Just my two bits worth...

[LEFT]Buy shares in Google Inc (GOOG), they are always going up, even now with the credit crunch. They are currently at $450 a share, when it floated the initial share price was $85, and that was only 4 years ago.[/LEFT]

Original Poster

Thanks for all the input.

I have cut it down to the following 4 if that helps:

Selftrade
Hargreaves Landsdown
iii Interactive Investor
Hoodless Brennan

Hoodless Brennan surely the cheapest?

Original Poster

Benjimoron;3022781

Hoodless Brennan surely the cheapest?

I think am gona sign up with them as reading up, they are the cheapest.

i use the share centre only because i have been with them last 10 years or so.

this is something I'm interested in getting into. Good thread

Original Poster

Thanks HB seem to have the best deal in my opinion.

Number of Trades in Previous Quarter / Flat Rate Commission Per Trade
20+ / £6.50
11 to 19 / £7.00
1 to 10 / £8.00

Original Poster

Am with HB and just bought some shares.

waqas;3026212

Am with HB and just bought some shares.

Go on then, what ya buy?

Original Poster

HBOS lol and Filtronic

may buy Hirco 2mrw or Gippsland as i have 500 to spend.

what you think? I plan to hold them and not quick sell

& thanks Benj for your help/advice in thread.

lol @ this turning into a BG1 thread.

Original Poster

black gerbil1;3026740

lol @ this turning into a BG1 thread.

lol. could have used your help. any recomendations? and you should creat a special thread about whats hot and whats not for people like me lol.

waqas;3026783

lol. could have used your help. any recomendations?

I haven't read anything in this thread yet, apart from the few BG1 comments, but if you are new to stocks, I would wait, its a very sticky time for some people, and you could end up losing alot of money, the market is very un-stable at the moment. Id wait for the while if I was you.

Original Poster

cool no probs lol.

could someone explain to me what the things in the pic below mean as i wanted to buy shares in Miorgan Stanley but had no idea what was hapning when i did a search in HB:

[img]img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=msqf4.jpg[/img]

img373.imageshack.us/my.…jpg

Banned

black gerbil1;3026796

I haven't read anything in this thread yet, apart from the few BG1 … I haven't read anything in this thread yet, apart from the few BG1 comments, but if you are new to stocks, I would wait, its a very sticky time for some people, and you could end up losing alot of money, the market is very un-stable at the moment. Id wait for the while if I was you.

Poor advice. Last Friday saw the biggest one day gains for quite some time. They even closed the stock exchange in Japan because the rises were too great.

But I suppose its sound for penny shares! :w00t:

Original Poster

be bk in an hour or less need to get food ready to open Fast.

Original Poster

so am back, can anyone explain to me whats what (in red) in the image file below?

img373.imageshack.us/my.…jpg

These are all different products which Morgan Stanley offers.

Non exhaustible: - MTN - Medium Term Note. JSY - Jersey, WTS - Warrants. Their business will be listed on lots of different stock markets.

No offence but a few of your questions are fairly basic.

I would not recommend someone with little experience getting involved in the stock market, but there is a lot of money to be made out there at the moment. Just look at HBOS, a few people will be buying new yachts after last week’s debacle.

I would recommend reading up on the forums on sharesforum.com and advfn.

Original Poster

chester123;3028035

These are all different products which Morgan Stanley offers.Non … These are all different products which Morgan Stanley offers.Non exhaustible: - MTN - Medium Term Note. JSY - Jersey, WTS - Warrants. Their business will be listed on lots of different stock markets.No offence but a few of your questions are fairly basic.I would not recommend someone with little experience getting involved in the stock market, but there is a lot of money to be made out there at the moment. Just look at HBOS, a few people will be buying new yachts after last week’s debacle.I would recommend reading up on the forums on sharesforum.com and advfn.

They are basic, hands up, i admit it.

Thanks for your advice, I have learnt alot in the past few days and know that their is alot more to learn.

In regards to Morgan Stanleys, which one/ ticker name should i search for if I want to buy shares in the one thats been in BBC news all day today and yesterday. I think its MS (index: S&P 100) and in regards to my image. what was the diff between the 2 morgan stanleys side by side as I couldnt tell.

Thanks again.

If you're investing sums like 500 quid then it's not going to be worth your time. You'd need to make 20 quid to break even, that's a 4% rise. Not easy to make at least that on every single trade. If you leave your money in for a year you'd need to be making 10% just to keep up with a savings account. Take off your time and risk and you'll see it's not worth it.

bg's right in that it's unstable, you might see big gains and want a piece of it, but their gains will be coming from other's loss, yours!
Post a comment
@
    Text