Stockpiling...

Posted 4th Mar
Been to the shops for regular grocery /household shopping yesterday and today and have seen shelves empties of basic produce and products.
Shops sold out of toilet roll and antibac....how have we been scared into this panic buying? Then the people who don’t want to panic buy end up panic buying to avoid missing out! Self fulfilling prophecy... yikes!
I understand that the virus is serious, but we as a whole are making it worse by panicking!
Anyone else seen these scenes in their local shops?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Mum2CerysCiaran05/03/2020 00:00

I buy the 18 packs of toilet roll from Farmfoods, they 3 packs for £11, I …I buy the 18 packs of toilet roll from Farmfoods, they 3 packs for £11, I tend to buy maybe 9 packs then get whatever else I need and use the vouchers I get in post like £5 off £50. I haven't been panic buying as I've got a lot in anyway of various essentials.

I'm like that. Past master at getting the bill to exactly £50. I bought 44 tins of tomatoes yesterday. Not bothered about coronavirus, they were reduced to clear. They'll get eaten .
63 Comments
Yes, at any bank holiday!
Flippancy aside, through my life people have always bought stuff like maniacs at the slightest rumour. Not saying that coronavirus is a rumour. But this behaviour is not unusual. It only takes a small percentage of the population to buy too much to cause the empty shelves.
nope no worse than usual - my local sainsburys stock control is always rubbish - seems they wait till they run out before they order stuff

ive little doubt this whole thing is being whipped up into an unnecessary storm
I've recently purchased 36 rolls from Superdrug.

I'll be ok for a while lol
I buy the 18 packs of toilet roll from Farmfoods, they 3 packs for £11, I tend to buy maybe 9 packs then get whatever else I need and use the vouchers I get in post like £5 off £50. I haven't been panic buying as I've got a lot in anyway of various essentials.
Mum2CerysCiaran05/03/2020 00:00

I buy the 18 packs of toilet roll from Farmfoods, they 3 packs for £11, I …I buy the 18 packs of toilet roll from Farmfoods, they 3 packs for £11, I tend to buy maybe 9 packs then get whatever else I need and use the vouchers I get in post like £5 off £50. I haven't been panic buying as I've got a lot in anyway of various essentials.

I'm like that. Past master at getting the bill to exactly £50. I bought 44 tins of tomatoes yesterday. Not bothered about coronavirus, they were reduced to clear. They'll get eaten .
I'm another who bulk buys in general to enjoy extra savings and the convenience of not having to go out and buy certain products I like.

With regards to the panic buying, it's hard not to join in with it as you feel that there will be nothing left if you just do the usual shop.

Ultimately my local ASDA was out of a hell of a lot of things from people panic buying so I ended up going to the next local supermarket in my area to stock up somewhat as you never know if deliveries to the store are going to continue being regular etc and especially with this coronavirus not wanting to be in contact with people due to it being in my area now.
Not panic buying... People making wise decisions and taking action. The problem is the lack of supply.

What might be a problem soon is medicines... I've read that China and India produce a lot of the prerequisites of medicine, and production has stopped in a lot of places. India, apparently, is halting export to concentrate on its own people. India gets a lot of its medical base ingredients from China.
Edited by: "guru404" 5th Mar
To me this is merely a slightly amplified version of fools stockpiling food & getting fraught over shops being closed for Xmas day in the uk, then they buy more in anticipation of closure for new years day... Madness, take a long hard look at yourselves folks.
No change here, shelves all full.

Although my local ASDA were out of Smirnoff yesterday.
It’s like Xmas the shops shut for one day and everyone goes daft, I went to Asda last night on the way home and the shelf’s were full....I think people struggle to feed their families normally never mind stockpiling food round here.

Saying that im going to stockpile many a bottle of alcohol, priorities in life...
Panic buying is caused by the media and its delight in forecasting shortages and then reporting stupid stories about stupid people stupidly panic buying.
Bank holiday or snow panic buying is always silly.
This time, I’m being a little more organised. If 20% of the working population is likely to be ill at once. That’s a lot of infrastructure and logistics hit.
While I’m not clearing shelves, I’m certainly adding some extra dried and tinned goods to my shops. They won’t go to waste and I have space to store them.
deleted1899017
I could do with losing 3 or 4 stone so I will last some time without food lol. Just need vodka to keep me warm and calm(:I
Edited by: "deleted1899017" 5th Mar
psychobitchfromhell05/03/2020 00:04

I'm like that. Past master at getting the bill to exactly £50. I bought 44 …I'm like that. Past master at getting the bill to exactly £50. I bought 44 tins of tomatoes yesterday. Not bothered about coronavirus, they were reduced to clear. They'll get eaten .

Yeh I haven't had any the vouchers in door lately so I haven't been to store. If something reduced I'll buy.
I haven’t bought anything to stock pile but if virus is going to get worse I may have to.

I always stock pile on cereal and toilet paper anyway because it’s cheap in bulk but I’m more worried about milk and fruit etc because if lorries are blocked who is going to give us milk
deleted189901705/03/2020 07:53

I could do with loosing 3 or 4 stone so I will last some time without food …I could do with loosing 3 or 4 stone so I will last some time without food lol. Just need vodka to keep me warm and calm(:I

Loosing, huh?
I'm wondering so people panic buying causing shortages from unusual high
demand and everyone overstocking, etc

So they won't go to the shop once a week or more so they don't have to live of tin food but do they go to work every day where you're making close contact with dozens more for longer than you would if you walked past someone on the street
It's the Corona virus it may be serious but it's not the zombie apocalypse
Edited by: "Norseg" 5th Mar
Conspiracy theory,

Spread the virus,
Increase sales
Lower travel chaos
Take a shower after you poo. You don’t need toilet roll anymore
Local cash and carry customers are buying rice oil and meat in bulk

Apparently red meat will be short of supply
rimalpatel00705/03/2020 17:45

Local cash and carry customers are buying rice oil and meat in bulk …Local cash and carry customers are buying rice oil and meat in bulk Apparently red meat will be short of supply

What’s the reason for the supposed red meat shortage?
Tea_minion05/03/2020 17:46

Imported in from other countries and short supply.
Currently is £4/kilo from £3. From next week it's £5
Edited by: "rimalpatel007" 5th Mar
There is no definition of what amount is stockpiling, and panic buying.
These expressions are romantic dreams of love of click-baits.
splender05/03/2020 18:20

There is no definition of what amount is stockpiling, and panic …There is no definition of what amount is stockpiling, and panic buying.These expressions are romantic dreams of love of click-baits.

You should have been in my Tesco Extra today. No pasta & no rice despite the aisles being about about 10 meters in length.

No anti-bacterial handwash despite 4 shelves each about 3 meters in length.

No paracetamol despite a shelf about 2.5 meters in length.

I think you are talking silly stuff.
How many customers does that Tesco serve, and how kilograms of rice was there?
I am not talking about silly stuff, but you did avoid directly what I stated, viz, there is no definition of what amount is stockpiling, and panic buying.

We are all grown-ups and have opinions, you said, I didn't, yes, you did. We are better than this, define stockpiling and panic buy.
What percentage of your borough's population buying how much per person?

I already had an answer on another coronavirus thread, a member had said 5 litres of hand gel per person, then it is panic buy.
splender05/03/2020 18:55

How many customers does that Tesco serve, and how kilograms of rice was …How many customers does that Tesco serve, and how kilograms of rice was there?I am not talking about silly stuff, but you did avoid directly what I stated, viz, there is no definition of what amount is stockpiling, and panic buying.We are all grown-ups and have opinions, you said, I didn't, yes, you did. We are better than this, define stockpiling and panic buy.What percentage of your borough's population buying how much per person? I already had an answer on another coronavirus thread, a member had said 5 litres of hand gel per person, then it is panic buy.

No point responding any further other than to say.... Are you sure you are ok?
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 5th Mar
McShane105/03/2020 06:22

No change here, shelves all full.Although my local ASDA were out of …No change here, shelves all full.Although my local ASDA were out of Smirnoff yesterday.

Yeh they're using vodka instead of hand sanitizer as that sold out
Willy_Wonka05/03/2020 18:57

No point responding any further other than to say.... Are you sure you are …No point responding any further other than to say.... Are you sure you are ok?

C'est la vie! I was just checking (our) your mental faculty. Afterall, stockpiling and panic buying are media illusions.
Edited by: "splender" 5th Mar
splender05/03/2020 19:05

C'est la vie! I was just checking our your mental faculty.

I would start at home with that one.
If on the rare occasion I stockpile for bad weather like heavy snow, etc. then I might double my shop. But never resulted to panic buying though thankfully. For me that would be if you didn't know when you would next be able to get anything because of some immediate disaster, so grabbing anything you can in sight and throwing it in the trolley. Haven't seen anyone resulting to that, but do know my elderly neighbour has been stocking up with extra tinned stuff.
From what I have heard from LBC on the topic of how much to stock up.
Callers said, results ==> a range of stocking up of between 2 weeks' worth and 6 months, is not panic buying or stockpiling, just good housekeeping in light of personal status in the context of external uncertainties.

Callers name other people are panicking, but not themselves. (A caller bought a lot, denied panic-buying, eventally, he said that one reason for buying was: in case of other people panicking thus causing no stock and/or pushing prices much higher.)

Some had stocked up for Brexit anyway, so for them, it was not much more to add/top-up to the home store.
Tea_minion05/03/2020 17:46

Really, I though there was surplus red meat and fish?!
Export of Angus beef, Aussie and Amercian beef etc. to Asian countries declined dramatically all of a sudden.
Edited by: "splender" 5th Mar
Willy_Wonka05/03/2020 19:10

I would start at home with that one.

I would like to agree with you on this one.
No bog roll in the Home Bargains I go to.

TIME TO PANIC!!!
Misslovely05/03/2020 09:23

I haven’t bought anything to stock pile but if virus is going to get worse …I haven’t bought anything to stock pile but if virus is going to get worse I may have to.I always stock pile on cereal and toilet paper anyway because it’s cheap in bulk but I’m more worried about milk and fruit etc because if lorries are blocked who is going to give us milk

Great, you remind me in getting some UHT and frozen veg.
"Callers said, results ==> aa range of stocking up of between 2 weeks' worth and 6 months, is not panic buying or stockpiling, just good housekeeping in light of personal status in the context of external uncertainties."

Yeah, i.e stockpiling.
Call a spade a spade for once. If you are stocking up for weeks or months you are stockpiling for as you say external uncertainties. Don't need to fear the word.

Panic buying is different, that is buying from panic and in a panic, hence the term, not stocking up from sensible forethought and in a calm way.
Edited by: "xenophon" 5th Mar
guru40405/03/2020 01:05

Not panic buying... People making wise decisions and taking action. The …Not panic buying... People making wise decisions and taking action. The problem is the lack of supply.What might be a problem soon is medicines... I've read that China and India produce a lot of the prerequisites of medicine, and production has stopped in a lot of places. India, apparently, is halting export to concentrate on its own people. India gets a lot of its medical base ingredients from China.

Shouldn't they be exporting medicines to Britain, else their call centres may not have many callers!
xenophon05/03/2020 20:15

"Callers said, results ==> aa range of stocking up of between 2 weeks' …"Callers said, results ==> aa range of stocking up of between 2 weeks' worth and 6 months, is not panic buying or stockpiling, just good housekeeping in light of personal status in the context of external uncertainties."Yeah, i.e stockpiling. Call a spade a spade for once. If you are stocking up for weeks or months you are stockpiling for as you say external uncertainties. Don't need to fear the word.Panic buying is different, that is buying from panic and in a panic, hence the term, not stocking up from sensible forethought and in a calm way.

Therein lies the issue in mentality and duplicity,

1. a person calls a third party's behaviour is "stockpiling"
2. this person denies own action is "stockpiling" (because it has a negative label)
3. this person is also unable to control the supplies to that person
4. this person seldom says how much is in his/her store for coronavirus (risk of an actual inventory verification that reveals the accused has less than the accuser), just saying, in an office setting with say, 100 people in an office

If they did stock up, there are ones who say: "who-tell-other-classmates-that-they-did-not-revise-for-exams-but-got-A-grade"
Mum2CerysCiaran05/03/2020 08:02

Yeh I haven't had any the vouchers in door lately so I haven't been to …Yeh I haven't had any the vouchers in door lately so I haven't been to store. If something reduced I'll buy.

I think you can download them from their website. Always used to be able to anyway.
JumpMan198005/03/2020 12:32

Take a shower after you poo. You don’t need toilet roll anymore

Do your business whilst showering, you don't need a toilet anymore
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants