Stocks and Investments help for a first timer

Posted 20th Aug 2020
Long story short yesterday i was messing around on trading 212 with the free virtual 50,000 usd and made 26,000 in terms of profit.

i’m wondering if this is worth looking into as it seems to good to be true.

any pointers/tips will be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
It’s not too good to be true, large profits can easily happen with stocks and shares but so can large losses. It was play money so you were carefree and playing about, with your own money you’re likely to be much more coy and careful. Research fully what you’re getting into, wether you want to day trade, long term trade, there are so many variables. Be careful and only play with what you can afford to lose, because technically you can lose it all very easily.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 20th Aug
thanks i was doing it with little/ no thought but i had done some research. i’ve recently graduated with a economics degree but i’ll speak to banks and friends/ relatives
Edited by: "BabaGanoush" 20th Aug
BabaGanoush20/08/2020 21:08

thanks i was doing it with little/ no thought but i had done some …thanks i was doing it with little/ no thought but i had done some research. i’ve recently graduated with a economics degree but i’ll speak to banks and friends/ relatives

Yeah get some advice and set a goal. Some people go long term so they can expect to ride waves and see their shares rise/ fall. Some people have profit/ loss margins. Ie if you lose 10% you sell, if you gain 10% you sell. Make a plan and first off maybe invest a small amount, play with it and see how you get on. Best of luck
Kratos6920/08/2020 21:20

Yeah get some advice and set a goal. Some people go long term so they can …Yeah get some advice and set a goal. Some people go long term so they can expect to ride waves and see their shares rise/ fall. Some people have profit/ loss margins. Ie if you lose 10% you sell, if you gain 10% you sell. Make a plan and first off maybe invest a small amount, play with it and see how you get on. Best of luck

thanks once again for the support and guidance
Not really the forum to discuss this. Monevator is a good resource.
I have plum account and money gets put away into two stock and shares account for me. Make some money some days others not. It’s interesting for starting out
Did you make that profit by playing derivatives or cfd's?
mas9920/08/2020 22:35

Did you make that profit by playing derivatives or cfd's?

cfd i think the stock price went up from my investments but i’m holding because it’s virtual lol
Edited by: "BabaGanoush" 20th Aug
BabaGanoush20/08/2020 23:02

cfd i think the stock price went up from my investments but i’m holding b …cfd i think the stock price went up from my investments but i’m holding because it’s virtual lol

You state "I think"

Please do not invest a penny of your own real money until you know 100% what you are doing.
vanguard index fund is the 'likely safe, and definitely long-term' option
Having worked in the city all my life all I can say is be very careful, virtual and real are two different things. This isn't to discourage you but just caution.
BabaGanoush20/08/2020 23:02

cfd i think the stock price went up from my investments but i’m holding b …cfd i think the stock price went up from my investments but i’m holding because it’s virtual lol

Look up the stats that they have to publish about the proportion of their customers that make a profit on cfd's.
mas9921/08/2020 08:00

Look up the stats that they have to publish about the proportion of their …Look up the stats that they have to publish about the proportion of their customers that make a profit on cfd's.

Pretty sure 70% + make a loss in general don't they
BT197821/08/2020 08:12

Pretty sure 70% + make a loss in general don't they

It is of course only part of the story, because it doesn't tell you anything about the amounts lost.

76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
mas9921/08/2020 08:16

It is of course only part of the story, because it doesn't tell you …It is of course only part of the story, because it doesn't tell you anything about the amounts lost.76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.

Yeah I knew it.

I have worked in investment banking all my life, I see what goes on at an institution level of course, but still you get an idea of the risks and see some bad losses - that's from professionals who supposedly know what they are doing. When you see posts like this you get concerned as its not to be taken lightly
Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered

Good old Wall Street saying to remind us not to get greedy.
airbus33021/08/2020 08:44

Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get SlaughteredGood old Wall …Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get SlaughteredGood old Wall Street saying to remind us not to get greedy.

Lunch is for wimps!
without doubt you can make money from stocks and shares but it is risky as you can lose more than you make, a bit like gambling.

playing virtual games are not the same, as in reality you won't have that much cash to play with, and the more cash you have in reality, the easier it is to make money since you don't have to take big risks for rewards.

1% profit on a £1m investment is a lot easier to achieve than a 100% on £10k.

if you are interested then read up on the subject and learn, then start with some real money and see if it still work in reality as in virtual reality. do bear in mind that what you make, you can end up losing sooner or later, so do prepare to lose any money you invest. i tend to bank the profit and never invest that again, so i know if i lose, i will still have my original profit to console me
I assumed it was all stitched up .
Isn't "other peoples' money" the mantra ?
Long term investments I recommend Freetrade
Post a comment
@
    Text