Expired

Stolen kindle bought on EBay, seller wants it back?

Found 15th Aug 2014
eBay advice please.
Just received secondhand kindle off eBay seller. When I tried to registered it Amazon said it was lost or stolen.
I started a case with eBay to get my money back. However seller says I have to send kindle back and pay the postage. As it is stolen I do not want to send it back in case it gets resold. The kindle cannot be used as it can't be re registered so I do not gain anything.
I can give seller the serial number and they can check this out with Amazon.
It just feels morally wrong sending a stolen item back. Plus I have to pay postage!
eBay seller says it was her ex boyfriends so he may have reported it lost/stolen when they split. Or that could simply be a fib. Seller has good feedback otherwise.
Advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Community Updates
AskKindle
20 Comments
If it were me I would ask them to send you an amount by PayPal gift to cover return tracked postage and then return.
Banned
Send it back at your own peril! Technically you should be down the police station as you know based on the information you have its stolen. Wait for eBay would be my advice. They may well tell you to take it to the plod anyway.
Original Poster
Thanks will wait for eBay unfortunately the system they have I just seem to be dealing with the seller eBay seem to act as a go between only. Maybe I have started the wrong procedure. Will try and speak with them direct. I was really wanting to avoid the hassle of reporting to police but didn't want it to be given back to seller. I think I'm finished with eBay. Too much stress. We had fake goods a few years ago but were told to destroy them which we did.
I had hoped Amazon would deal with it but they just said report to eBay.

I would get in touch with eBay and tell them what's gone on.
Police station and then do a paypal dispute with your crime reference number :-)
Original Poster
Struggling how to contact eBay stupid system is taking me in circles. Thanks red castle think that might be the way rather than through eBay who just seem to want me to sort it out amicably with seller. It's stolen for gods sake they should be more proactive at dealing with it.
if you took it police station you will most likely not get your money back, if someone stole a ferrari and said you could have it for a 1000£ and the police took it back, you wouldnt get your money back
redcastle

Police station and then do a paypal dispute with your crime reference … Police station and then do a paypal dispute with your crime reference number :-)

i second that motion
Original Poster
Thanks every one I think paypal dispute and police station is the proper way to deal with it.
HERE IS THE SOLUTION:

Call eBay and explain the situation, also confirm the following, which they should agree too! They have a freephone number, use this link and click "Call us" and the number will display with a PIN: http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/cusr?query=1649

Print out confirmation that it is stolen, keep a record of the serial number. Take the Kindle to the Police Station and obtain proof of seizure, which they will give you. Submit this information/report to eBay, then they will issue you a full refund. Inform the seller of your actions if you wish, then leave negative feedback - case closed

That is the correct procedure.

Goofeys Girl

Thanks every one I think paypal dispute and police station is the proper … Thanks every one I think paypal dispute and police station is the proper way to deal with it.

Deal with eBay, not PayPal is my suggestion!

Edited by: "joshp" 16th Aug 2014
believe it or not ebay will tell you to return the item despite our law saying you must not post stolen goods. if seller wont budge on covering postage you could make her aware she has teaded stolen goods unwittingly or otherwise and is liable to be banned from ebay and face criminal charges. not blackmail if you phrase it right.
Take to the police, handling stolen goods!
Same happened to my daughter, but I advised her to send it back to get her money in a timely manner. Ironically the Royal Mail lost it but as it was insured we ended up getting the money back that way X)

Lessons leant :

1) Don't buy kindles off the bay
2) Always insure valuable items when posting

Don't believe the cack and bull story about the ex-boyfriend
Original Poster
Yes agree lesson learnt about eBay

I'm going to have to go back to Amazon as I just remembered late last night they are only confirming it as lost or stolen not stolen and wouldn't give me any further details. I need them to admit it was reported stolen not just missing.

Goofeys Girl

Yes agree lesson learnt about eBay :(I'm going to have to go back to … Yes agree lesson learnt about eBay :(I'm going to have to go back to Amazon as I just remembered late last night they are only confirming it as lost or stolen not stolen and wouldn't give me any further details. I need them to admit it was reported stolen not just missing.

What is the feedback of your seller like? Any negatives? If not it could be entirely not their fault. It would concern me to jump to conclusions. Who goes around stealing rubbish Kindles anyway if they could nick an iPhone? I sold two phones on EBay one of which is still in contract. I have the IMEI numbers still of both handsets. If the person I sold it to tried to sell it on and I decided to report it stolen I don't think the person I sold it to should be hung drawn and quartered. You haven't given info about seller's history so I would just say I think people deserve a fair trial. I think it is highly likely she didn't know. Why sell it on EBay if you thought you'd be out of pocket ateotd and get bad feedback? It makes no sense. I reckon it is the sort of thing an ex boyfriend would do.

Edited by: "redhot999" 16th Aug 2014
Goofeys Girl

Yes agree lesson learnt about eBay :(I'm going to have to go back to … Yes agree lesson learnt about eBay :(I'm going to have to go back to Amazon as I just remembered late last night they are only confirming it as lost or stolen not stolen and wouldn't give me any further details. I need them to admit it was reported stolen not just missing.

. Also buy used tech on Amazon at your peril. Marketplace serllers can describe battered C grade handsets and tablets as like new and Amazon don't give a sh*t. At least on EBay you get photos and space for accurate descriptions.

Edited by: "redhot999" 16th Aug 2014
Original Poster
redhot999

What is the feedback of your seller like? Any negatives? If not it could … What is the feedback of your seller like? Any negatives? If not it could be entirely not their fault. It would concern me to jump to conclusions. Who goes around stealing rubbish Kindles anyway if they could nick an iPhone? I sold two phones on EBay one of which is still in contract. I have the IMEI numbers still of both handsets. If the person I sold it to tried to sell it on and I decided to report it stolen I don't think the person I sold it to should be hung drawn and quartered. You haven't given info about seller's history so I would just say I think people deserve a fair trial. I think it is highly likely she didn't know. Why sell it on EBay if you thought you'd be out of pocket ateotd and get bad feedback? It makes no sense. I reckon it is the sort of thing an ex boyfriend would do.

Feedback is good however if she didn't have a kindle herself she wouldn't have realised it couldn't be registered. It will turn on and connect to wifi etc you simply can't register with Amazon. She would not have known that. This makes it useless as you can't download books. But it initially appears to work. She also said it was 6 months old but then said it was her exes and she didn't know anything about it. Only one recent negative feedback of a buyer not receiving the item.
I'm totally going off eBay to be honest. Let's face it she could be selling stolen things all the time and in most cases as the buyer we would never know. Only exception really is electrical items if they can then be blocked or stopped to work. I've bought loads of clothes over the years and CDs. I would never have any way of knowing they were stolen.
It's similar I guess to car boots. I think we are all unwittingly adding to the crime rate.

Original Poster
I've sold loads of things over the years all my own property and in very good condition so it works both ways. I'm not knocking every eBay seller. I will probably sell in the future too. But it's definitely changing for the worse. Too many reports of thefts now particularly electricals.
Without reading through all the responses, just send the item back and get your refund, it's not up to you to enforce the law, if you need to report it then go to the police station, but there is a chance you wont get anything back, also the other person has your address, these days there is just no point especially over something like a Kindle.
paypal and ebay are partner sites but will pass buck onto each other!
as a long time standing ebayer I have dealt with a similar dilema with conterfeight timberland boots and I would not return as I knew seller would resell!
I got official correspondence from timberland stating they were fakes and I was instructed by ebay to post back for refund
but like yourself I was reluctant too especially as I was to pay return postage
I stood my ground and I eventually got a prepaid postage label from ebay and not before I marked in black ink across heel of the boot 'FAKES' so they couldnt resell.
after weeks of wrangling I did get full refund but seller wasnt happy all u have to prove is u returned item using a tracking method which u will get if u persist on prepaid postage label so when uopena dispute ebay/paypal can see u have posted and item has been delivered and hopefully then u should get money back!!
but prepare for a battle lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants